An idea...

D

DÛke

...I've been thinking of making a Mercenary deck, but every time I look at those poor things, I know they don't stand a chance against anything out there. Heck, just thinking about them facing a Blastoderm makes me shiver and drop the who idea...

After a while of trying to figure out a way to actually make those things win, I come up yet with another problem, the stupid Green enchantment, Root Cage. What a stupid card...

Well, I didn't come up with much of a new idea to make those things work, but I did come up with a plan...I'll use fast Mercs and beat down my opponent, not minding any removal spells cast by the opponent. Just attack, attacks, and attacks; never block unless you have to. After beating down my opponent, that's when the whole deck changes from speedy and aggressive into control oriented. I would cast a Massacre or a Forced March to destroy all creatures, including my poor Mercs and then, blast the opponent with an Avatar of Woe.

It might be a good idea, I need some advice from you people.

Here's what I have so far:

4 Rathi Intimidator
3 Cateran Brute
3 Spinelss Thug
3 Silent Assassin
1 Molting Harpy
4 Avatar of Woe

4 Dark Ritual
4 Stupor
3 Parallax Dementia

4 Snuff Out
3 Massacre
2 Forced March

1 Rath's Edge
21 Swamp

There.

The Stupors are there mostly for late game, to make sure I cast the Avatar of Woe without any worries. Parallax Dementia highlights the beat down aspect of the deck while Avatar of Woe, Massacre, and Forced March are the late game cards that will, hopefully, win me the game.

I'm completely new to this, so I understand if this deck sucks bad. Just lend me moral support.

R

Rando

Howdey there DUke!

Well...I think that Caturan Enforcer is the best Merc. they printed, so if I were you I'd try to but a couple of those in there.

I've never tried to make a Merc. Deck, so that's all I have to say.

dum dee dum, la dee la. (whistles) doo dee doo.

bye

T

TaLoN

You could try agent of shaku and dark triumphs for a fast beatdown. i used to have a merc beatdown deck. it went a little like this
20 swamp
2 raths edge
4 rathi intim.
4 cateran brute
3 cateran persuader
2 agent of shaku
2 silent assassin
2 molting harpy
4 diving witch or vampiric tutor whichever you prefer
3 vendetta
4 snuff out
4 dark rit
4 dark tri.
2 cateran summons
the diving witch is what i picked. it helps me search for a dark triumph and also have a creature to sac to the triumph. ive had some very early wins with this deck. by 5th turn you should have about 8 creatures out. hope this helps you could also splash in red for some burn to help finish off your opponent.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DUke: This is Standard, right? Otherwise you could use Edicts to get rid of Blastoderms (assuming they're the only thing on the table, obviously).

L

Landkiller

I was playing my Merc deck at states, and although I massively screwed up by trying to add another color because I couldn't get the cards I needed and I screwed myself over, I still triple blocked Blastoderm several times and even won the game.

The problem for me was, a 1 point Earthquake killed all my guys and I had to mulligan 5 times in 5 games, because I ruined my mana base by adding white. I only played one white Disenchant on Tangle Wire.

My advice :
Play Delraich, and Unmask.

Forced March and Massacre kill all your stuff, and probably can't get Blastoderm anyway. But If you added Delraich, you could kill them beforehand with Delraich and then play the March/Massacre that would have killed them anyway.

And Delraich helps the Avatar of Woe's cause.

Unmask is just good. When it's in your hand, you always feel better.

K

krichaiushii

If green is that big a problem for you, maindeck Perish, or other anti-green cards. You can always sideboard them out. Or also run some spellshapers, and use the maindecked colorhosers to feed the spellshapers.

Just a thought.

Pestilence/Thrashing Wumpus is not targetted, and takes care of Blastoderms quite nicely...

D

DÛke

First, I must say "hi" to my friend Rando. Hi, Rando.

Well, for the deck, first off, it is T2, yes, Spiderman.

Now, for the ideas you people gave me. I only play Avatar of Woe because I can't get my hands on any Delraiches, that's why. It's not that bad, I think.

You gave me advice kind of the wrong way; I don't want to build a control deck, but a beat down, speedy deck that changes into control mid/late game.

So, would this work:

4 Rathi Intimidator
4 Silent Assassin
3 Cateran Brute
3 Spineless Thug
2 Molting Harpy
4 Delraich

4 Stupor
3 Unmask
4 Dark Ritual
3 Forced March
4 Pestilence

1 Rath's Edge
21 Swamp

This is after all the advices I got so far.

TaLoN, you're deck is not quite what I'm looking for, however, it is a good deck. I'm looking for a fast deck that alters into controlish later.

Turtlewax Joe, Bog Gliders are good, but with only 22 lands, I am afraid they will have to say good bye.

Krichaiushii, advice: taken.

M

Mikeymike

Well, I know how big a fan of Black you are but for gits and shiggles B/U could definitely work. Reason
A) Sea Hunter is a Mercenary
B) Merfolk can hold their own
C) Vodalian Zombie is prot-green and can help your Blastoderm problem.
D) B/U has such strong support cards from Invasion

In regards to your deck, I like TaLoN's Dark Triumph suggestion. In a Merc deck where you will have a lot of creatures in play quickly, its extremely strong. Besides, Pestilence and Forced March kick your butt too. Snuff Out is never a bad thought either.

D

DÛke

...Mikey, I understand your opinion very well, or so I think. I do not like to build decks that everyone builds and plays. See, I try to build a deck that is weird, yet powerful. My original idea was to play early, and attack with fast, small creatures, than, when the opponent have found out an answer for my poor critters, I then could blow up the place with Forced March or Massacre and due to the death of many creatures, the Avatar of Woe would be very easily played. The chances the Avatar of Woe is the only creature in play is great, not to mention most other creatures that do survive the bomb will be even more in pain due to the Avatar's own ability.

A Blue/Black Mercenary deck? I never thought of that...I will have to finish my idea before starting on a new one.

R

rYaNsPVT

i've face a merc. deck, but i shorted their mana so my blastos and deadly insects with knighthood by my side cud overrun those darn mercs... abt that blue/black, i inserted a pyroblast and lifeforce for some control... bad moon? no prob. i got darkest hourfrm my lotus petal(light of day from my skyshrouds and eladamri)...

but there are times of draw/loss of course... it's jst a matter of table/game mastery or who sets up first... i tried to proxy ur deck, many people got mad at me...