Am i the only one.......

I

Istanbul

I like the story.
I like Gerrard, and Hanna, and Tahngarth, and Karn.
It pissed me off when Mirri died.
I guess I'm alone on this, but I like what they've done with it.

W

WhiteMagic

I'll risk the ire of many by saying that not only do I not care very much about the story line, I don't even care much about the fantasy theme of Magic. I think it is an incredibly rich strategic and tactical game, and I love all the different combinations and interactions of cards... it's got to be one of the most fun games I've ever played on a pure gamemanship level.

The fact the the cards are representing goblins and dragons and have the whole fantasy theme is, IMHO, actually a minor drawback. It makes non-fantasy people stay away, and sometimes even look down on the game as being for "D&D geeks". (Disclaimer: I was a huge D&D geek, and fantasy and science fiction lover, in years gone by).

I don't MIND the fantasy aspect, but it doesn't add much appeal to the game for me either. I'd be just about as happy if the cards were, well, just cards. I just think it is one of the most fun and fascinating games out there.

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Looking for where I stashed my flame-proof suit...

F

FoundationOfRancor

I liked the book Rath and Storm the best.

Anyway, I do like the storyline, but it has got somewhat tiring. I cant wait for the invasion cycle to finish it up though.

*books*
All of the MM block books were bad-nemesis was 'ok'
All of the Ice Age books ROCK!
The artifacts cycle books are 'ok'

PS: I was PISSED OFF that mirri died! Espically after all the cool depth we found out she had!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
WhiteMagic: I guess we're two different sides of the coin, because I *like* the fantasy aspect. Granted, the art at times isn't that great, but I like the setting better than the others that have been out there, like Star Wars (the movies which I liked) and On the Edge (weird futuristic stuff). The fantasy is probably what also led me to try Wyvern, the dragon-based CCG.

:)

R

rakso

I don't know... the storyline in Magic never seemed strong to me. The quality of authors of the novels are inconsistent, I think, and there really are no strong characters to love. I mean, I've heard it so many times that Gerrard is a sissy and all. Urza is fun, I think, but can you identify with him?

I collect the BattleTech series due to Michael Stackpole, and I know a lot of people who really got into the L5R storyline. To be honest, I sometimes think that even Pokemon has better characters!