Am I a freak? You tell me...

R

Rando

I have a LOT of hobbies, mostly gaming related. I play Magic, D&D, WarhammerFB, Warhammer40K, Battletech (tabletop minitures), Mechwarrior RPG, Rifts RPG, old Twilight 2000 RPG, Battlesystem, and I paint all of my old minitures and make all my own terrain for the war games.

But here's the strange thing. All of my hobbies are rather cyclonic. It does not seem that I am ever interested in more then one at a time. For instance, the 3rd edition of D&D just came out, so now I'm devoting all my spare "hobby-time" to that. I was playing a lot of Magic before, but now I could care less if I ever play another game. Before that, I was playing a lot of Battletech at the exclusion of all else. Now the miniature 'mechs gather dust.

It's always like this. After a while, my current infatuation with D&D will fade and I'll dig out another game to play. Then, most likely, when the new Magic set comes out, that will become my new "game of the moment".
So...is anyone else like this, or am I just wierd?

R

Rando

Why is it that some people that joined the CPA after me already show "veteran" and I'm still "new"? Is it just the number of posts that determine this?

I

Istanbul

*doesn't even read Rando's post* Of course you're a freak. You hang out with us, right? :D

Seriously, though, that doens't make you a freak. It just means that you have Shiny syndrome. Every time you start to get into something, you see a different hobby and say 'oooh, shiny' and go to that. Nothing WRONG with it, it just means that you'll be decent at a lot of things instead of great at a few things. [I thought that was 'Kender syndrome.' --Zadok001]

A

Almindhra

Hey, I'm like that too...I play Magic, some Pokemon, Wheel of Time ccg, D&D, and many computer games...And right now I'm collecting comic books...And you can't obviously have you attention on everything all the time...Right now I'm focused on the new D&D...Hopefully we can get the DMs guide and Monster Manual today...

And theres a group of people that are like you...They are called gamers...

P

Purple_jester

More specifically, you belong to that gamer class known as the Professional Bard. Which is to say: Dabbler in all games, master of none.

Yes, you are a freak. Just as most of us here are freaks. Oddballs. Weirdos.

Personally, I don't use those terms. I prefer the term: UNIQUE. Gamers (as opposed to people who are simply card floppers, dice chuckers or miniature movers) are a relatively rare breed. We buy oddly shaped dice, spend a small fortune on glossy cardboard, and spend countless hours painting little plastic figurines. True gamers do all of this.

You happen to be one of them. Don't be worried. Don't be concerned. Be happy that you have many gaming interests, and have a wealth of knowledge as a result. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going somewhere to rejoice that dragons now do damage in the hundreds. :)

D

Dark Horse

24d12+24 for a venerable Gold Dragon as a matter of fact.

I do all that except paint minatures, Ive spent 240$ the last year on magic, 135$ on AD&D, and around 300$ in friday tournaments to get in. I also host the D&D stuff, so Ive also spent a couple hundred on bags of chip, dip, and coke.
Obsessive? Maybe, but dammit I'd do it again if I could.

Im a gamer... Hear me roar.

D

Dark Horse

Huh? The third edition of D&D came out? I didnt know Ill have to buy the revamped MM DMG and PH.

R

Rando

Thus far only the new Players Handbook is available. The DMG comes out in September, and the Monster Manual comes out in October. I don't know why they did it like this, I would have prefered to get all three at the same time. This way, it's almost like being on the Wizards of the Coast D&D instalment plan.
"just buy one book a month for $20, cancel any time..."

A

Apollo

My friends and I are like that. We don't do minatures and D&D, but we are very cyclonic. We'll play Magic for a while, and then football season will start and we'll all be playing that for a while, then basketball, then the new Magic expansion. But we never seem to do more than one thing at once. Right now, we're playing MLB Showdown and I haven't touched a Magic card in weeks, but when Invasion comes out, hopefully we'll get right back into it. There are a lot of people that way, it's not just you.

T

theorgg

Naaaa... of course you ain't a freak.

You're a gamer.

If you really want to have some fun that's CHEAP, I'd recommend http://www.cheapass.com, the cheapass games website...

I ordered five games, plus two T-shirts and it cost $20.20! Including shipping. for somone who enjoys gameing as you obviously do, it's a bargain.

Z

Zadok001

Well... You are a freak, but not in a derogatory sense of the word... :)

Re: Your second post

Check your private messages, I'll explain there.

M

Mr_Pestilence

You're not a freak - you're a gamer! Welcome to the club!

S

SadistAngel

:) I saw the word "freak" and i just couldnt resist to post here..

In my opinion, i think its great you like multiple things.. myself well i tend to like one thing for several months (same thing goes for music) and i do it over and over and over again till i get so burnt out on it i cant do it anymore.. im sure it wont be like that with magic tho cuz i dont have that much time to devote to it..so when i do i want to go all out..

Personally i havent gotten into comp games (prolly cuz i dont have a comp :( but i prefer more "here and now" type things..its hard for me to stretch my imagination out for like D&D altho i have tried it a couple times and enjoyed it..i guess i kinda feel out of the group in that sense..the only thing im into besides magic now is occult..the scary stuff i wont elaborate on less you really want to hear about it :)

ne ways i admire you for asking about your unsurities<<(is that a word??<< :)

D

Duel

See, the difference between youand me is that you're equally good at many things, ambiable. I'm ambisinister.

T

Thrash Golem

I just play lots of magic. If i had more money, i'd play more, better magic.

I don't devote all my time to magic though.. i play about 1 hour of tennis every day if it's not raining or snowing.

D

Duel

I read. I spend more time reading every day than I do sleeping. I'm pretty good at that.

S

sageridder

I haven't played mtg in months,friend of mine bought a farmhouse and all i've been intersted in was rebuilding the forge.Took about four months of weekends,but we got it up to speed.And now all i seem to want to do is work on a sword.when you watch the movies and they make one in a couple of days don't belive it.It is great fun,guess thats what they mean by a lobor of love.End of the day and your ears ring and your arm wants to fall off.It is better to do only one thing and do it well than to do many things half assed.IMHO

N

nanokill

no one here is a freak(I think) We are just devoted and deranged gamers. I mean I play magic, pokemon, wheel of time, Dbz saiyin saga, legend of the five rings, dbz ani-mayhem, mlb, video games, computer games , collect and read books and comic books all on a very limited budget.

but that doesn't make me weird....right.....RIGHT:D

R

Rando

Tippity-Top

I'm not sure, but I think that this was my first post here.

Still have not gotten to the bottom of whether or not I'm a freak.