all instant speed (sort of)

D

Demon

On one of the forums I was reading the other day, someone suggested making a deck of all instants. I thought it would be an interesting experiment, so I gave it a shot. This deck was kinda just thrown together, but I think it's got a good start, so feel free to make all the suggestions/criticisms you want :D

Design notes (doesn't that sound official ;) --
I went with creatures that could be cast as instants, or had haste (what I consider to be the creature equivalent of instant speed). I dropped creatures that satisfied either of those but also had echo. I picked Red for DD, and green cause I'm a green mage at heart (plus creature pumping). And if there are any obvious choices (like more of a spell I've already included) it's probably because I only have so many copies of that card. Thanks!!

Creatures -
1 Halam Djinn
1 Gerrard's Irregulars
2 Furnace Spirit
1 Vine Dryad
1 Viashino Cutthroat
1 Viashino Sandscout
1 Serpentine Kavu
1 Goblin Berserker
1 Natural Affinity

Creature Pump -
3 Scent of Ivy
4 Giant Growth
2 Elvish Fury
1 Trumpet Blast
1 Aggressive Urge
1 Symbiosis
1 Fanatical Fever
4 Invigorate
4 Wild Might
1 Vitalizing Wind (just for fun)
1 Silk Net
3 Downhill Charge

Direct Damage -
1 Shock
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rhystic Lightning
4 Scorching Lava
1 Lightning Blast
1 Parch
1 Searing Wind (again just for fun :D )

Other (utility?) -
2 Shrink
4 Jolrael's Favour (the deck is creature light :( )
1 Reclaim (ditto)
1 Repopulate (ditto again)
1 Artifact Mutation
1 Emerald Charm
2 Harmonic Convergence
1 Refreshing Rain

Land suggestions welcome (if necessary)

Okay, fire away!

D

Demon

Unfortunately, I have neither of those cards, and I temporarily live in a town where there isn't even a hobby/comic/magazine shop, let alone a group of Magic enthusiasts. :( I'm teaching a couple of people how to play, soon I"ll be able to try out some of my more advanced decks.
Ah well, a few more months and I'll be back in civilization with my regular playgroup, hopefully.

Bounty of the Hunt is perfect, but I don't like Pyrokinesis for this deck, just because I want any burn to be able to target opponents directly. Versatility is the key to victory, I always say!

Thanks for the input though, I'll have to try and dig up a Bounty somehow :)

Any cuts to be made? other suggestions anyone? Anyone? Beuhler? (too much superstation over the weekend)

G

Griffion2000

Don't forget Raging Kavu, it has BOTH creature requirments :)

Splash blue for a Mystic Tutor (maby)

D

Demon

Griffion - Don't know how I missed Raging Kavu, it epitomizes the theme of this deck! :eek:

Duel - Excellent suggestion, I need a few more creatures, and pro. white never hurts. :)

I was thinking of splashing in blue, mostly for card drawing purposes. Casting only instants will empty your hand pretty quickly. Obviously I'd have to trim some of the decks current contents, maybe the one-shot burn spells and a couple of the more expensive spells. Would it be worth it to splash blue?

Should I cut down on the size of the deck anyway? I don't really think it's all that big, and most of the spells are pretty cheap, but 65 spells (or 68 with your suggestions) is getting up there in the count. I'm not worried about going over 60 cards for the deck (this is for casual play after all), but hitting 100 almost defeats the purpose of the deck, doesn't it? :confused:

Excellent suggestions so far everyone, I'll post a revised deck list after a little more input.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

um what about Alurens for the creatures
you have all the creature pump ups why not start with low casting cost creatures that you can play for free and as instants and pump them up

D

Duel

How about fool's tome? If you're gonna empty your hand, abuse it! (that sounded wrong, I know)

L

Landkiller

Hey, I made an all-white Instant deck. :)

And for your deck, add

4 Harrow.

That card is some good!!!!