Ahhhhh!!! Magic Online!! Ahhhh!!!

What do you think of the brand-new Magic: the Gathering Online game?

• LOVE IT!! ABSOLUTELY LOOOOO-OOVE IT!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay. It's better than Apprentice

• Not bad, but I kinda like Apprentice better

• WHAT?!!! NOOOO-OOOOOO!

• Total voters
C

CAMDEX

Great. Just frickin great. Just when I am about to get Apprentice to work.... "Oh no, Mr. CAMDEX, we've got this whole new thing that you have to download, and it will take up huge amounts of space but it is a lot better than Apprentice, so you really didn't need to download it at all..."

I know I sound very...well..."me" BUT...

*looks around menacingly*

It took a lot of time to get Apprentice, and the patches, and make all those deck that I made, and for naught, because there is this freaking program that will make Apprentice obsolete!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From what BigBlue says, they're only putting Standard cards in. So if you want to play with the older cards, you can still use Apprentice. Plus, it's still free (as opposed to how much the points for Magic Online will be).

Z

Zadok001

If Magic Online is, indeed, Type 2 only, I don't believe I'll be buying it...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, it seems that they would attempt to create an expansion or patch later on that would entail at least some older cards. Probablly beggining with either Ice Age or Mirage.

F

FoundationOfRancor

No, just some speculation of mine.

It seems to me that a patch updating so many old cards would be worth it, because I think many people would be interested.
I would guess they wouldnt go back as Alpha, because some cards seem like they would be to complicated to program. So either Ice Age or Mirage?

H

Hetemti

I'm staying with Apprentice; cuz I only play with people I know, and I want to play whatever cards I actually *OWN*, not the ones that Lord Wizco say I am permitted use.

B

BigBlue

Not that I want to be a rumor monger, but . . .

I did notice someone who looked like he worked for Lizards (SW company) and another player (Also I believe works there) playing a constructed game in the "unlimited" format. We are unable to choose that format, but it does check for legality (not sure if unlimited is Type 1, or truly unlimited), Extended is a different deck check, so presumably they are working on that as well. If you are in the game and you uncheck "working cards" as well as "cards I own" you'll see all cards from Alpha on Up to build a deck from. Now it won't let you play that deck, but it will let you build it, and might someday work. many older cards are in the working categories, others would seem quick to do, but are not implemented (perhaps simply due to time constraints).

So, we may someday see Extended or Type 1 implemented in MtGO, but I have nothing official (those people don't respond to queries, usually have chat turned off, and never let you watch their games.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like they were thinking ahead and put the features in there but have them turned off while they get the Standard stuff ready. Then they can move on to the other formats and since it's already there in the interface, they don't have to redesign it :)

E

Elrond

I noticed something similar to what BigBlue was talking about, except that I attempted to join a game with someone playing in the unlimited format. It said that I was not allowed to play in that format, or something along those lines.

Spidey: Your idea makes sense, and I'd like to believe that it's correct.