Ageless Entity and Building a Viable Life Gain Deck

D

DeathMaster666

Ageless Entity - 3GG
Creature - Elemental (R)
Whenever you gain life, put that many +1/+1 counters on Ageless Entity.
4/4
(Above from Darksteel Spoiler at www.mtgnews.com)

This is probably the place we want to start. Next, we want efficient Life Gain cards.

Examples are [card]Heroes Reunion[/card] and:

Nourish - GG
Instant (U)
You gain 6 life.
(Again from Darksteel Spoiler)

Now Heroes Reunion basically reads:
GW: Put 7 +1/+1 counters on Ageless Entity.

So can we think of more cards or even a real Life Gain deck that would be viable?

N

Nightstalkers

Your obviously new here so I'll key you in onto a little secret that you guys never seem to get to working...

Priest of Titania/Rofellos + Intruder Alarm + Thopter Squadron + lots of elves/forests = Just about infinite mana....

Now chuck in an Ageless Entity and a Stream of Life and you'll not only gain infinite life, but also an infinite/infinite creature as well. Oh, don't forget to throw in a fireball or blaze (or two) to burn your opponents to tiny specks with an infinite amount of damage. :)

Have a nice day now.

Nightstalker Exterra

M

Mikeymike

This guy is cool, huh? (and please, no one be offeneded by my use of 'he' here)

In terms of huge lifegain, big boys include
- Congregate
- Zuran Orb/Balance combo (All lands are gone, and here I am with a 16/16 - deal with it)
- Life Burst
- Loxodon Warhammer - This is probably my favorite, as it gives him Trample as well. Get in once without him dying and he gets bumped up to an natural 11/11.
- Armadillo Cloak.
- Soul Warden
- Angelic Chorus

I like the idea of using him in a +1/+1 counter deck, teaming it up with cards like Spike Feeder, and Forgotten Ancient (move Ancient counters to the Feeder, sack to gain lots of life, make Entity very very big)

I also like instants that gain you life and cause some type of effect, like cycling Renewed Faith, or playing Exile or Honor the Fallen.

N

NorrYtt

ARMADILLO FREAKIN' CLOAK!!!

Yes, mikeymike said it first, but this is a 3GG Serra Avatar. Do you know how godly Serra Avatar + Armadillo Cloak is?!

Of course, Loxodon Warhammer is in color and naturally tempos right after 3GG.

There are some really good creatures in Magic to Warhammer, like
  • Serra Avatar
  • Morphling
  • Psychatog
  • Akroma, Angel of Wrath
  • Thrashing Wumpus
  • Kilnmouth Dragon
  • Shivan Hellkite
  • Spiritmonger
  • Iridescent Angel

This guy might be better than most of them.

O

orgg

Is there not an artifact in the new set that reads "Whenever you gain life, you may pay up to (X), where X= the amount of life you gain. If you do, draw that amount of cards" or somesuch like that?

N

Notepad

man, poor Armadillo Cloak. It just keeps addicting people against its will across the world.

R

Rooser

Armadillo Cloak and Life Burst are probably the best options for this, as those cards are really good by themselves anyway. I take Cloak over Spirit Link because it also gives your big fatty trample, which will win you the game. I choose Burst over Nourish because it's just more better. After you cast two Burst you've got twelve life anyway, and the next Burst will just double that.

You could also work in some infinite and/or recursive life gain combos, (Like Isochroning a Life Burst, for example). And if you've got something recursive, Test of Endurance might be able to sneak in as an alternate win condition.

Or you could just plunk him into an elf deck that packs wellwishers, (And elvish herders could give him the necessary trample!)

Anyway, there's a lot of good options for this, but I warn against overloading on the Life Gain. You'll need some other solid creatures to back this up because if you are relying on only one fat creature, you're going to lose to the guy who packs four removal spells, which is almost everybody. An easy, organic back-up package would be Ravenous Baloth and Beast Attack, and hey, you might as well add Krosan Tuskers for card drawing.

D

DeathMaster666

The draw X thing is Well of Lost dreams. I got one of those at the prerelease.

R

Reverend Love

..If your going to use Ageless Entity + Lifegain be dirty about it...use BLACK!

Subversion
Syphon Soul
Consume Soul
Vicious Hunger
Drain Life
Corrupt
Necravolver (great in that 3 colored deck)
Spoils of Evil (especially with this artifact block)

Oooh yea, pile the insult on injury baby!

N

NorrYtt

You could make a very resilient multiplayer deck on the backbone of

Soul Warden
Spike Feeder
Ravenous Baloth
Ageless Entity
Exalted Angel
Armadillo Cloak

You might use the W or G Pulse as well.

M

Mikeymike

I think I'd still go with the Warhammer over the Cloak. This thing will have a monster target on it - no sense in giving your opponent a 2-for-1 in an MP game, because you know they are going to wait on killing your Entity until you enchant it.

The Warhammer is more expensive of course, and doesn't beef up its toughness off the bat, but in the long run of an MP game I feel its benefits will out-weigh its negatives when directly compared to the Cloak.

M

Master Shake

Take a look at this: (Single Player)

3x Isochron Scepter
4x Life Burst
4x Hero's Reunion
4x Well of Lost Dreams
3x Armadillo Cloak
2x Loxodon Warhammer
4x Ageless Entity
2x Zuran Orb
3x Land Tax
4x Manabirds/ForestElves (Lawnmower Elves)
3x Swords to Plowshares

12x Plains
12x Forest

It does not run as many creatures as it should, but I'll be damned if the Birds of Paradise do not look cute swining the Loxodon Warhammer. The Orb/Tax Engine should take care of any land problems, and scepter can go farl; imprinting Lifeburst, Reunion, and Swords.

C

Captain Caveman

If you build this type of deck and include Loxodon Warhammer
and or Armadillo Cloak, I think you should add Squallmonger,
from the Mercadian Block. Its an uncommonn so it should be
cheap and easy to get.

T

train

As long as blue cards are not in the deck - it'll be great!...

But if you really want to mess with a blue player's head - drop a Xantid swarm first turn...

Ahhh... the ability to stop counters... wonderful...:D

D

DeathMaster666

Forget BoP with warhammer, how about Xantid Swarm swinging a warhammer. ^^

T

train

Now there's an idea... and the swarm stops the opponent from playing ANY spells after it attacks - that includes during combat...

R

Reverend Love

Just picked up 4 of these bad boys at shop in downtown Tokyo so lifegain deck here I come!

The power collecters in the group have all been tinkering with Ischoron Scepter..with the usual Boomerang, Humble, Counterspell type jig. Usually accompanied by the EXTREMELY annoying Soul Factory+Meddling Mage combo. So I suppose it's my turn to take the Scepter for a spin.

Here's what I'm stinking;

Creatures: 15

4 Ageless Entity
2 Genesis <-- Ageless Entity WILL be waxed
3 Soul Warden
2 Mother of Runes
4 Exalted Angel

Scepter+ Imprintables

4 Isochron Scepter: 17

4 Hero's Reunion
2 Nourish
2 Respite
3 Disenchant
2 Sword to Plowshare

Support: 5
2 Well of Lost Dreams
1 Sol Ring
2 Wrath of God

Land: 23
4 Savannah
1 Kor Haven
1 Maze of Ith
2 Krosan Verge
1 Nantuko Monastery
8 Plains
6 Forest

Fun so far on apprentice..requires some tweaking as usual though.

D

DeathMaster666

Why don't you try some [card]Windswept Heath[/card]s in that deck? It looks good to me, but I'd run 4 wells.