Age of Mythology

S

Svenmonkey

Probably not, considering FilePlanet downloads suck, unless you pay for a better account.

Anyway, Age of Mythology comes out in stores tomorrow, so I won't bother wasting 14 hours of my time downloading the demo. My 56K rocks on downloads, I get 3 Kilobits per second occasionally!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Getting a Gamespy account is free, so you can open one and not worry about your wallet :)

Obviously if you're already set on getting the game, you don't need the demo but if you're just thinking about it and want to see if it's worth it, you can get it. I've found that good times to download are between 6 and 8 AM EST.

It's a bit tougher with a 56K dial-up, but you can search for download manager programs that can break it up into smaller pieces for you in case you get disconnected.

S

Svenmonkey

I've already got Download Accelerator, but it's still a waste of time waiting in line for a FilePlanet download to start. Anyway, I've found you can get most things a lot more easily by using KaZaA Media Desktop, though everything has to be virus checked because of the oinks who like to send you viruses.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I hopped on Fileplanet when I got into work at 6:15 AM EST and there was only a 10 minute wait. Not bad (although apparently more people are getting on then because it used to be no wait). Gonna try it out...

S

Svenmonkey

I finally procured a copy of AOM for myself today. :D

If you plan on getting it, get the normal edition, for the Collector's Edition costs an extra $15-20 at most stores and just includes a bunch of stuff most people won't use (and the figurine is plastic, not pewter like my awesome TESIII: Morrowind one).

It is, however, a great game as far as I've played it (though it doesn't have that "new game feel" for some reason).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's the same engine as Age of Empires (I think?) so if you've played those, you're probably used to it already :)

S

Svenmonkey

They can't be in the same engine, for AOM is 3D and the others are 2D, though the engines are similar.