After hour game rooms...

B

BigBlue

Someone locally was wondering about creating an after hours gaming room where you'd collectively rent a location solely for gaming purposes... I'm just curious if any of you have seen that anywhere which was successful...

I know several game shops have them for use during business hours - but I'm asking about ones available whenever players want...

I'm thinking of a possible new business model and was curious what others have experienced.

N

Nightstalkers

Well, your thinking of a sort of large area with tables and all that nice stuff. But if you want the gaming "room" to be open after hours, then your cutting off the younger crowd from accessing the space; while on the other hand your allowing a tournament or just a large congregation of gamers to play at a nontraditional time, like during the week.

In that instance, you might have it in a residential area or something so people can literally just stop by and start up a tourney or something... Hmm, you can also try for giving it a chance for lan gaming as well. You'll have the space, and hopefully the money going in for upkeep of the computers and equipment for people to have an enjoyable time.

Who doesn't want to have a Halo and an M:TG tournament going on at the same time?

HALO TOURNAMENT!!! $5 ENTRY FEE!!!! TAKE HOME A PRIZE!!!

Okay... I'll shutup now...

M

mythosx

Hm... the closest thing to that would be the large shop/gaming location I.e. Neutral Ground. Are you doing this as a way of congregating people or are you attempting to make a buck. As far as a business model goes I don't believe that it is viable in the states. People can get together in thier homes for free. In a big city it might be doable for a profit because a lack of space.

B

BigBlue

What I was thinking of was a sort of multifunction business building for gamers. It would hopefully house a gaming store, vending area with pop/candy machines. Then it would have gaming rooms for people to use. They could be signed out as needed. It would also include a room (or rooms) meant for LAN gaming with desks and network connections. It could include internet access, but that'd be trickier since you can get into a whole area of problems with unmoderated access.

Presumably you wouldn't have to have the site monitored after hours - you'd have a security deposit from the members to ensure minor damage with insurance.

The room/rooms would be available all hours of the day - for a nominal subscription or per meeting fee. It'd offer gamers a place to meet where they wouldn't have outside distractions. I don't think it'd make much money - other than the rent to the gaming store and vending profits - of course the other areas would be the losing side. I know that in most cases people play at someones house... but if you could play in a well lit comfortable environment it would be cool too.

There were just some thoughts since someone locally was asking about where they could play after hours games - for a monthly fee if they didn't want to use their home/apt.

I was mostly curious if anyone knew of anything like it anywhere else. I knew during hours at some gaming stores was there - but the after hours stuff was a mystery.

M

mythosx

well the closest thing is neutral ground... if you never have been its a good way to piss away a day. In addition to what you said they also generate a huge amount of revenue from sales of books, cards, and miscillanious games. I think they have night marathons so it would be similiar to your idea. It would all depend on if your area had enough people interested.

T

train

after-hours as in?... evening...

It works - tons of places... usually involves some sort of food-service/bar
:cool: