Adorable Kitten, no joke!

D

Doombringer

Adorable Kitten 1WW
whenever adorable kitten is affected by a spell or ability, you may choose to counter it
adorable kitten cannot block
protection from blue, green, red, white
0/1

this card sort of goes along the line of it being too cute for people to hurt it, but artifacts and mean ol black dont have such sentiments toward it. also Im thinking that the kittens smart enough not to get in the way of something like Krosan Cloudscraper, so it can't block. also this makes its power slightly more reasonable, by not using its protection for superblocking.
the reason its countering is "affected" and not "targeted" is because I want it to stand up to Wrath of god type stuff, but this ability counters all of Wrath of god's targets so its probably too powerful. The thing to do is definitely to power it up then attack almost without opposition. I want to know if others have ways to reasonably tone it down so write away, right away! (it should be "type' but that dousn't rhyme:D)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there's not much you can do if you want it to stand up to "mass creature sweeper" effects. Probably the best is "if this is put in the graveyard, put it in play instead" or something to that effect.

C

chocobo_cid

Or: "When ~ leaves play by an opponent's card effect, you may counter that spell or ability. Ignore the effects of an opponent's mana abilities on ~."

I

Izaryo

hehee, inspired me to do this card...

Sasami, Second Princess of Jurai
WW
Creature- Princess Legend
Sasami is indestructible
Sasami can't be removed from the game
Sasami can't be sacrificed
0/1

This is Tenchi stuff

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't like the "can't be sacrificed" text though. I know why it's there, but it just seems like too much rule breaking, even if they already made stupid "indestructable."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, usually "sacrificing" is an action done by the controller, so unless you Donate or exchange it, the clause really only prevents you from doing stuff with it that involves sacrificing (like Altar of Dementia). Alot of combos rely on saccing your permanents, so this could actually be good... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, most sacrificing is intentionally done by the player, but Diabolic Edict/Abyssal Gatekeeper/et. is what this is trying to fight, whereas the "can't be removed from the game" is for stuff like Swords to Plowshares...

It just seems like something they actually WOULD make, because it breaks yet another rule...

It's okay to make cards that mess with things of course, but I'd rather have innovative, truly creative concepts than stuff like the indestructable mechanic they did recently...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, good point. I forgot about those type of effects since I haven't played Magic very often lately and usually I'm the one with those effects :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's more memorable if it happens to me... and since my opponents don't usually use those effects, it's memorable when they do use them. It's just business as usual for me when I use them :)