AD&D and Magic CROSSOVER !!!

F

Faxe

Hi, Players!
My name is Marcio, but you can call me Faxe.
I'm Brazilian and I play since Fallen Empires. ALWAYS as a casual.
In my entire life, I've seen only a sanctioned championship, of DCI, but I
didn't have that pleasure. I like multiplayer, I like Unglued.
Sometimes my friends and me make decks only of bad cards, like Flare!
>This is fun!
When I got'into the 'net, I discover The Dojo, and Bannings, and all other
things.
I've sent mails to the wizards to make a solicitation: Many people here in Brazil
wanna see an expansion, maybe as a portal, of the AD&D universe.
It could be like Arabian: Another plane.
It could be like three kingdons.
It could be in place of stuff like Unglued!
But the response was "there's no project here."
But we, Brazilians, wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sory my English.
Please tell me what you think 'bout this...

D

Dune Echo

Faxe,

This subject has been around for years. It isn't going to happen, I think, because mixing the two products might lose business for WotC when dicechuckers start going to Magic to play the same game without paying for the books they keep reprinting with new covers. In all truth, it might make them some money, but it still won't happen.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Faxe,
It sounds like Spellfire's the game for you! It didn't sell well here in the States, so I'm sure you could work out a deal with WotC to distribute it in Brazil. I'm sure they'd love to get rid of it!

Seriously though, TSR tried that with Spellfire and no one liked it. I doubt WotC would go out of their way to try it again, at least not until they finally succeed at alienating all of us devoted Magic players altogether, and are desperate to keep it alive. Then they might give it a shot.

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref Tutor

Ferret

Staff member
I don't think it'll happen for the same reason we never saw a Gamera vs Godzilla movie: they're both very popular products owned by the same company (Toho Ltd) and combining them would be almost making it look like one product's better than the other and could take both products down in the process...

-ferret

"...I'll just tap my Raistlin and remove the top ten cards in your library from the game..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, Faxe isn't asking for a new game (such as Spellfire). He's asking for an M:tG _expansion_ of AD&D. Personally, I really enjoy AD&D and I think this would be a great idea. But... When you think about it, some of the creatures in AD&D already have counterparts in M:tG. Red Dragon=Shivan. But some of the exotic creatures would be cool. I've always wanted to play with a beholder!

-mike

Z

Zadok001

Hmmm... Ferret, that would actually be a pretty cool ability for Raistlin, maybe add like a 5 mana cost... *ideas float randomly around head* I could do some cool stuff with that idea... *Random ideas float through ears and circle head* Excuse me while I go write up some fake spoilers.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I've got an idea! How about a Magic-D&D module to use as a solitare variant for Magic. You make your way through a maze, or a dungeon, killing off monsters using your cards and solving problems along the way. You'd have to memorize (deckbuild) a variety of spells for the different problems, of course. Hmmm...

TomB
CPA Member
"...looks like I've a few random floaters too..."

D

Dune Echo

Hey guys, if you want to make up spoilers for AD&D cards, I have something more frightening than that. I made up the lost Legends and other spells for Fallen Empires. (Shiver, ye mortals!) Inquest had cards made up for a AD&D expansion in one of there issues. The Beholder was pretty nasty in that and pretty cool. Zodak, send me your list when it's finished and if you're interested, I'll send you mine.

F

Faxe

Urza got into Phirexia, got Serra's Realm, Got into Rath...
So why couldn't he gets the AD&D Realms?
You see? It's easy to make a crossover...
And in AD&D, the mages have a LIBRARY (Decks), where they have acess to an spell (buy a card), and once used can't be used again until it's relearned (bring from gravyard or draw the same card again).
And yes, its gets the powerfull rare cards with experience (trading :))
Think 'bout the Legends that would exist?
I've played SpellFire, but I didn't like it. It will never be like Magic. It were printed in portuguese, but nobody buy it.

Faxe, Brazilian Guy.
"...I don't want to be a king. I wanna power. I want to be a PLANEWALKER!"