Abusing What?

C

Crackdown

After a few months of fun with Task Force/About Face, it's time to think about abusing some other non-descript card, the more innocuous, the better.

Any thoughts from the Invasion set or perhaps Mercadian block?

D

Duel

Metathran aerostat.

Not only is it almost Flash (How sad is that?), it flickers itself for merely 5 more mana. That's really sad, no? But there must be SOMETHING it's good for!

K

krichaiushii

Crackdown --

What about Rupture? 2R for a sorcery that lets you sac a creature to deal damage to each player and each creature without flying equal to the sac'd creature's power. Its an uncommon from the set with the Axe for a symbol.

A might bit funny with Skyshroud Behemoth?

A might bit evil with Saproling Burst?

C

Cateran Emperor

Tectonic Instability. This card has to be good somehow...

I

Istanbul

I already know how to abuse Tectonic Instability. Use a lot of Rhystic spells. Veteran Brawlers are *great* with Tectonic Instability. It also does truly nasty things to Draw-Go all on its own.

D

Duster

I love Tectonic Instability!
I'm still working on a U/R Rising Waters deck with it. You can see the first (pretty bad) version of it in the Casual Decks forum, the thread's called "Another bqad deck by Duster" or some such thing...

D

Duel

Try this

Ground meet:
4 Tangle wire
4 Tectonic instability
4 Rhystic lightning
4 Birds of paradie
4 Veteran brawlers
3 Wild might
3 disenchants
4 Chimeric idol
3 Seal of fire
4 Rishadan port
23 lands of your choice.

M

Mikeymike

Its all about breaking the Gold cards

Overabundance--That's a powerful ability
Cauldron Dance--I just love this card, it really does surprise the stuffing out of your opponent
Vile Consumption--Rebirth of Creatureless decks (and fits nicely w/ NetherGo, but you didn't here that from me)

And then there is Searing Rays. WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT PLAYING WITH THIS BAD ASS BURN SPELL?! Just like everything else in this game it can be situational, but there are so many times I have done massive damage with this card. Kills green, fires and Rebels. Not bad against blue and black either for that matter.

krichaiushii
Rupture is from Nemesis. I agree with you, I traded for 4 of these the day of the pre-release and never regretted it. Its incredible in Sneak Attack decks and works with Ghitu War-Cry (another unsung hero) for customization purposes.

There are so many times that it is better than earthquake that I have taken it out in favor of this fella.

In type 2, how about Rupture with creatures with natural recursion abilities. Crypt Angel, Pyre Zombie and the Nether Spirit pop to mind 1st.

D

Duel

What rupture is best at, though, it going off on a 0-counter-left derm. Suddenly your derm can finish someone off! Or at least clear the board.

M

Major Crime

My FAV gold card (well up in the top ten) is Simoon.
My best kill since it came out again, was a turn 4 use which killed, 1 Waterfront Bouncer, 1 Lawnmower Elf & 2 Mana Birds.
Once used three in one turn to clear out all blokers.
If playing RGB put in the card which says "If a creature takes damage, destroy it. Gives your oppenent that beaten down feeling.

M

Mikeymike

Death Pits of Rath, I actually just traded for 2. You can also play with fun like Arc Lightning, Flameshot and rolling Thunder for the same effect. Throw a few green fogesque cards in there and really aggresive creatures and you have yourself a deck.

C

Captain Caveman

How about a deck built around one of these:

Plague Spitter
or
the Kavu
or
the Masters
or
Smoldering Tar
or
Dual Nature
or
a new Conspiracy.dec

Well, I gotta run.

Caveman

D

Duel

Okay, smoldering tar:

"Tar and feathers"
4 Obliterate (Sorry, but these are the only big rares)
4 Smoldering Tar
4 Sterling grove
4 Prohibit
4 Meteor Storm
4 Restock
4 Harrow
4 Pulse of llanowar
4 Enlightened tutors
24 basic land, of various types.

The plan: Obliterate and then deal fatal damage with the tar and the storm. fun, no?