A Week w/ Ferret

Ferret

Staff member
Well, this was supposed to be the best weekend of my life. The weekend I plan for every year: my three days of Necronomicon. It's one of the biggest 'cons in Florida. (for info check it out at http://www.stonehill.org )

Strangely enough, things don't always turn out the way we expect: I started dating a girl and things went really well and I took her to Universal Studios Escape (the one in Orlando, FL) on Wed and Thurs. Due to a overbooking problem we got to stay in a five-star hotel and it was a lot of fun. I worked up the courage to propose to her right as Jaws popped out of the water and she said YES!

SO, we got home Thursday evening, bought the engagement ring and I got up Friday morning brooding wheter I should go to Necro or not. On one hand, there's my beautiful Fiance. She is the light of my life (pictures will be available eventually) and I couldn't bear to be away from her - she didn't want to go to the con because she doesn't like all those people....still, I went in hopes of promoting our site and finding out more about the situation of Magic in general.

It's looking kinda' grim. I met two guys that presented their whole Magic collections to me and were willing to sell them to me CHEAP - unfortunately, they didn't have much that I already had so I didn't see a point in getting any of it. I met some kids that have been playing since about Mirage that were still enthusiastic and wanted to play a booster draft tourney, but it never quite panned out. Still, they weren't powerdeck players, either. They gave me a sense of hope that for every player we lose we'll be gaining another one to replace them - still, they weren't all that thrilled w/ my Jet or my Lotus. They felt that you don't need the Power Nine w/ so many other broken cards readily available.

I was going to try to stick around for a Type I tourney on Sunday, but by Saturday morning I wanted to go home to my fiance. I missed her too much. The con just wasn't making me as happy as I'd like to be.

So, what did I learn this week?
1. True love is more important than anything - even Magic.
2. Yes, we're losing some older players, but we're getting fresh young ones to replace them and not all of them are out to build combo decks.
3. The old cards may be expensive, but they're not always necessary or good
4. Illuminati: New World Order is still a kick-ass game!

-ferret, CPA

"...that's the most romantic thing I've ever heard..."

B

Baron Sengir

I too am a fan of Clerks ...

I know what you mean, man. Excellent piece of work here, my friend. Excellent. I have been dating my wonderful girl for a little over seven months now and all is well in the love department for the Baron. She wants to learn magic but she has a little trouble with english. She's Japanese. I am looking for some japanese cards to teach her with.

Get those pics up here soon, too. I'm anxious to see what people on this ubb look like. It's nice to have a face to go with the words.

I remain
The Baron
gonna go snuggle now

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
(Well, this message is virtually substance-less, but oh well.)

Congrats!, Ferret.

And I'm single, so I don't really have anything to talk about in that sense. So that was about it.
Oh, and I see you noticed the icons Ferret.

-mike

D

Dune Echo

Great, now we're going to have to look at other people's ugly mugs too?!
Ain't love grand, guys?! I'm only 20 and it may sound crazy but I am married to the sweetest most caring woman I could ever want. A year and a half folks!

Actually, I've always kinda wondered just what everyone else looks like.

Question: Does anyone else here live in OHIO? I'd like to meet someone I can play against that isn't a firm believer in the 70 card, 20 lands, 4 Goblin Grenade, 4 Goblin Chirugeon, and nothing else but whatever looks pretty and costs at least 4cc decks. My little brother makes most SRB players look good because he's predictable in what he playes and yet somehow STILL WINS! I think its the luck he has with the damn goblins and the grenades with Giant Strengthed creatures. I beat him a lot but HE SHOULDN'T BE winning! AT ALL. Okay, enough rant. So, anyone close to me? I live inbetween Cincy and Dayton.

[Edited by Dune Echo (10-11-1999 at 07:38 AM).]

Ferret

Staff member
Thanks guys. It's been a while since I've been this happy. She's not a big fan of Magic. She got talked into playing it once and was a total natural - then she didn't want to play again... I may have to work on her some more.

Anyhoo, returning to my previous post: I think the game is going to survive even w/ many great players like Kevin Chen leaving. The new players aren't just downloading the decks - they're coming up w/ some great ideas and it looks like they'll help keep the game going...

-ferret

"...Mallrats, actually..."

T

theorgg

just don't let her to convince you to quit.
in Missississippi, we lost about three of our best players like that.
good luck at the wedding, Ferret, and make sure to take plenty of pictures.

btw, is the cake topper going to be a ferret and a bride?(mabe that was a little dumb...)

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

B

Baron Sengir

I forgot to say congratulations in my last post, Ferret. So ... Congratulations!

I remain
The Baron
wookin pa nub in aw de wong paces ...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations Ferret, and good luck on teaching her Magic!

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

Ferret

Staff member
Thanks, everyone. I'm not sure about the cake topping - let alone, the cake. It's going to be a simple pagan ceremony. Neither of us want that many people around and we don't have that many RL friends. We'll just have to see - but, I'll try and upload some pics as soon as we get her scanner working...

-ferret

"...and then, I can work on getting her to play...
"

N

nekrataal

Wow, I leave for two weeks and come back to something wonderful. Here are some random comments...

Ferret, congrats man! Nothing else needs to be said other than congrats.

Mike, wow! You are a web genius.

Doust, where the hell did you go? Did he ever contact us?

-nekrataal
"i gotta whole lot of posts to catch up on.."