A thought about 7th

C

Chaos Turtle

I welcomed 6th edition with open arms. I liked the new rules. I liked the card choices, generally speaking.

I cannot say the same for 7th. Sure, some old favorites are returning, but at last it is obvious that WotC is doing to the Base sets what people have been claiming all along. They are dumbing it down, and throwing in some colloectors' must-haves to entice people to pay money for it.

Yuck.

I hope, then, that this trend is to make room for better things in the "Advanced" Sets. I hope, further, that WotC is seriously considering an Expert-level reprint set in the style of Chronicles.

Please.

H

Hetemti

Yeah, my friend mentioned getting and reselling 7th boosters. I vowed I'd only buy one if I checked it to ensure it had a foil.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Can you clarify what is being lost or dumbed down between 6th and 7th?

I know 6th lost trample, Fireball, banding(?)... any others? First strike? Poison?

B

Baron Sengir

Magic base sets have been getting worse since Revised. The last good one was 4th, in my opinion.

I think that 7th is a step in the right direction, though. I could do without the vanilla crap creatures (Vizzerdrix anyone?) but, all in all, I have to say that the rumored card mix looks waaaaay better than that piece of crap expansion they called "Classic." The only thing good about 666th was the new rules.

I remain
The Baron
It still sucks to be a black mage, tho ...

M

Mundungu

I'll have to agree with Giz on that one.
Even if there was not such a good pool of rares, the uncommons were great and the commons real staples of the game.
The tutors, diamonds, Sex monkey, longbow archer, pillage and plenty more to tell.

Rares : bop, Hammer, vamp tutor, earthquake, Maro, Nightmare etc etc

I bought a lot of 6th and didnt regret it !

I also dont know why there never is sealed or draft of basic sets. Esp. for beginners.

R

rkoelsch

But I can understand the reasoning behind this move. All of the Portal/Starter sets have been failures because why would someone spend money on cards they can never use once they learn how to play. So the Basic set is also the set for teaching beginners. So yes they are dumbing it down but I think it is a good business decision for a company that needs to grow. Not everything that Wizards puts out should be for the expert user. They need to entice new blood.
There are still cards that are not tourney worthy but that is the same with every set. Just felt like adding my 2 cents.

D

Duel

Right Rkoelesh hit the nail on the head. WOTC IS dumbing down 7th. If you look on the box of seventh, on the difficulty level, it says "intermediate" I believe. the expansions are "Expert" and precon decks/portal are "beginner". 7th simply consists of card to give a player a start in magic. All the basic cards are there, all the cards that, at one time or another, provide support for tournament decks.

and, with the exception of a few cards (Vampiric tutor, BOP) they've simply removed the complicated cards. Fine. no problem. the got rid of confusing cards for beginners to have. I remember thinking Hammer sucked, because it was 3 mana for 3 damage, and my shocks were 1 for 2. I was a beginner. I would rather have opened Vizzerdrix, I mean, a 6/6!

This is a decent set. Not the best, but I think the cards in general, and the rares in specific have less chaff than 6th had. Alot less. I like seventh.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I thought 6th was pretty cool.

I really like 7th.

However, I pose this question to you:
If Vizzerdex and Trained Orgg are rares, and the only reason there being included is for begginers, why not change the rarity to common?

It was my argument a long time ago when I predicted that Levithan would be in 7th. I think I was horribly wrong, but I had a mervelous idea; If the players who buy alot of packs (heavy casual and Serious players) dont like the rares, but the buyers who buy few packs do, why not make the rares common to please everyone?

This is all taking for granted that Trained Orgg and Vizzerdix are in 7th and are indeed rares.

G

Gizmo

Serious players don`t buy packs. Hardly ever. I bought a box of Stronghold, and ended up buying four boxes of Tempest cos it was really good. After that we bought a half box of Nemesis each but everything else has been down to careful trading of old for new, and singles purchases. You have to remember that the whole point of teams is to pool cards, so we usually manage to pul decks together from our collective pools.

B

Baron Sengir

I take it by the phrase 'serious players,' you mean tourney players. Don't ever think that casual players are not serious about this game. This site wouldn't be here if we weren't.

Yeah, 666th edition had some good cards in it. So did the Dark and Fallen Empires. Try to tell me those sets didn't suck. A handful of good cards does not make a good set.

7th is a step in the right direction. I hate that certain colors got shafted and that WotC seems to have a desire to remove cheap red damage from the basic set but I haven't been so excited about a basic set in a long time. As far as chaff rares go, I will put up with Trained Orgg and Vizzerdrix since the number of crap rares in 7th is much lower than 666th.

I remain
The Baron
Forget, anyone? Howabout a Barl's Cage?

C

Chaos Turtle

My perspective is not so much the reduction in crap rares, but rather the effect the loss of cards like Hammer of Bogardan in the Standard environment will have.

That's why I'm praying for a reprint set to appeal to advanced players, that will keep certain cards in standard. I'm not counting on it though.

D

Duel

Me either. I don't want morphling back. Sure, for the 2 weeks I had him, I loved playing with superman, but he really isn't a card I want to see i the environment. Nor is Hammer of Bogardan. It's more balanced, but not what a basic set should have. I LOVE the idea of a chronicles-ish set. Taking bets, anyone?