A Tempest-block box decision

Which would you buy?

• Tempest!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stronghold!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Exodus!

• Spend the money getting half a box of some other kind of boosters.

• Total voters
I

Istanbul

I have the opportunity to pick up one box of any Tempest block expansion for $60. That means Tempest, Stronghold, or Exodus.

Which one should I get?

Tempest has a lot of heavy hitters...Cursed Scroll, Grindstone, Living Death, Meditate, Time Warp, Tradewind Rider, Verdant Force...things like that. But, being a stand-alone, I have lower odds of getting these rares.

Stronghold has quite possibly the biggest card in the expansion, Mox Diamond. It also has Ensnaring Bridge, Shard Phoenix, and Sliver Queen going for it...but little else. Probably the least likely of the three.

Exodus looks like a strong possibility...Equilibrium, Ertai, Hatred, Oath of Ghouls, Pandemonium, Oath of Druids, Spike Weaver, Coat of Arms, and more. But it has no *big* cards like Scroll or Diamond.

All three boxes are the same price. Which one would YOU buy?

Q

Quill

I'd go with exodus...my luck with stand alones has been pretty shaky

Q

G

Gerode

I could use more cards out of Exodus than from any other set, Coat of Arms and Pandemonium especially for my casual play. And I'd also get a load of Soul Wardens :)

T

Turtlewax Joe

Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest Tempest TempeTempeTempest Tempest OR maybe Exodus but for me a no brainer a Tempest Because I'm still going for a 3rd and 4th Scroll.
Maybe Exodus, for thopter Squadren and Pandemonium(Pandonoght Deck).
But look and see what you need!

I

Istanbul

2 for Tempest, 2 for Exodus.
You people are no help. :p

Oh well. At least I know not to get Stronghold.

Tempest has lots of good rares...but a lot more rares to choose from. I could open the box and not get a single good rare, or I could open up a gold mine. Whereas Exodus' rares aren't as good, but are still fairly decent...and I have a much better chance of getting them.

Hmmmmm.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
My favorite set out of that cycle is by far Stronghold, however, if you are looking for great cards for decks, go for Exodus if you like combo, Tempest if you like Beatdown or Control.

I would personally go with Tempest.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

RabidKimba

Probably Exodus, because Tempest is a larger expansion, so you have a worse chance of pulling a scroll or something. Anyway, Exodus has Oath of Druids, which should be pretty hot in 2 PTQ seasons. Oh, and Hatred, Spike Weaver, and Pandemonium. :)

Edit: Or, you could just save up 15-20 more bucks and buy a Apoc. Box at slipperykarst.com or starcitygames.com (at least I think they're about $80.)

J

Jake74

I would definately buy exodus... I think it has the better overall cards... with tempest, you might get nothing good at all... exodus almost guarantees some good cards.

I

Istanbul

Well, I went out for the box of Exodus...and I'm sure glad I did!

I got:
2x Cataclysm
Coat of Arms
Convalescence
Dominating Licid
Ephemeron
Ertai, Wizard Adept
Hatred x2
Manabond x2
Monstrous Hound
Null Brooch x2
Oath of Ghouls
Oath of Lieges
Oath of Mages
Oath of Scholars
Ogre Shaman
Pandemonium
Pit Spawn
Plaguebearer x2
Ravenous Baboons
Seismic Assault x2
Skyshroud War Beast
Sphere of Resistance
Spike Hatcher
Spike Weaver
Survival of the Fittest x2
Thalakos Drifters
Thopter Squadron
Volrath's Dungeons
Workhorse

And some great uncommons:
Skyshroud Elite
Forbid x3
Treasure Trove x6
Price of Progress x2
Fugue x6
Necrologia x2
Spellbook x3

I'm even happy with many of the commons I got:
Carnophage x6
Charging Paladin x7 (remember, I collect Knights)
Merfolk Looter x7 (BB, and common in Exodus!)
Nausea x8 (BB)
Raging Goblin x6 (BB)
Reclaim x7 (BB)
Sonic Burst x8
Soul Warden x7
Standing Troops x7 (BB)

So, yeah...I made the right decision. :D

J

Jake74

Looks like you got some nice cards there....
Want to give me some.. :D

I

Istanbul

Give? Hmmmmmmmm....lemmethinkno. :D
Trade? Now you're talkin'...

J

Jake74

I guess I meant trade...

:D

:D

Sure... I wouldn't mind trading for a couple of them...

A

arhar

I think you should get something else. Yesterday, in my store they did a 8-people block draft (TE, ST and EX)... the ONLY good card we opened was a Reflecting Pool. The next-best rare was a Hermit Druid!!! :mad: