A single card can change the world...

P

Purple_jester

Or at the very least, a single card can change an environment. Two friends and I like to get together online to discuss Magic and other CCG's, and one of our favorite topics is how the current T2 environment would be transformed (or not at all) by the hypothetical inclusion of a single card into the Basic Set.

Two nights ago, we spent 3 hours (wow, record even for me...) talking about how including Nevinyrral's Disk in T2 would radically alter or enhance the decks we see nowadays.

What do you guys think? :)

H

Hetemti

It'd be nice for Average Joe Deck to be able to eliminate Squirrel Herds and other "Make Creatures, Turn Them Sideways" stratigies, but the problem that make Dizk too good is still present.

Blue cards exist in T2.

So all Dizk would do is make Blue better.

That's why Deed is BG...it makes it pain(land)ful for Blue to abuse it. Also, it'd force sideboards to remove strategy cards for Dizk solutions, which would weaken overall strategy. (If such a thing exists in T2)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Despite my and Gizmo's little spat in the other thread, I remember him saying something like the Disk was one of the defining cards when it was in the Standard environment. I don't know about blue, but black and red would probably pack it since it helps get rid of one their problems, enchantments.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Hmm, I can see how it can definitely help Type 2(what environment WON'T it helped). But, it won't be as much fun without things like Vision Charm to abuse it........as much.

Ransac, cpa trash man

C

Chaos Turtle

You would see Nevinyrral's Disk in a LOT of decks if it was legal now. Four mana for a card that says, "Starting with your next turn, you may blow up the world at your convenience." is incredibly cheap in the current environment. And deck with control elements would use this in case things got out of hand, and if you think blue is strong now...

G

Gizmo

The defining cards of old Magic were:
2 Mass Destruction (Wrath and Disk)
2 Mana Denial (Orb and Geddon)
1 splash card (BoPs)

I think adding in Disks would reward black control more than any other deck.

P

Purple_jester

My opinion on this topic when I first discussed it was that such a powerful artifact would swing decks down two extreme paths. Decks would lean toward control-based themes, given that they can effectively reset the board at any time should they lose control (ex. Draw-Go). The other extreme would be that decks would be built really, really, fast, with an emphasis on cheap threshold/flashback and token/penumbra creatures.

I think that these two extremes would set the stage for blue (a control color if I ever saw one...) and green (best creatures in the environment).

Another thing that would occur, with a lot of decks using this artifact, is that anti-artifact effects would become more valuable. As it is, they are completely ignored in T2 right now.