A sad time...

S

Sammy Dead-O

I wanted to post this here for some reason. Perhaps it's because several of you met him at a Prerelease or two in Atlanta. My very good friend JP died on Monday. In a swimming accident, at the age of 16. I've probably played more Magic with him than with anyone else, and he's the only one who's ever been willing to play it with me over the phone. So...I guess it seems appropriate to me to pay some respect here. If you have a few seconds after reading this, please send out some thoughts and prayers for his family...especially his mother, whose whole world went away just a few days ago. Thanks...:(

A

Apollo

I'm sorry, man... You and his mother both have my condolences (not that it matters to her, I'm sure, but...).

T

theorgg

I'm...

shocked.

He was such a nice guy, at least when I met him.

It's tough to think he's dead...

Wow..

B

Bob

:' (

I always said swimming was evil.

I hate it when people I don't know die, because I never know what to say to show that I feel sorry for their friends and loved ones.

R

rkoelsch

I don't come to Off Topic very often but I want to offer my condolences to Sammy and JP's mother. When some one so young dies it really makes you step back and check your priorities. I will keep you both in my prayers.

B

BigBlue

Sorry to hear that. . .

As a parent, I don't even want to know what his mom's going through. . . I try not to think about it when I hear of other's.

He hadn't even begun to live yet.

T

train

:(

Silence speaks the heart's words as people pray for those whose life was short. The tears of love and sorrow combine, as the angels surround us and hold us with their wings. God rejoices as one of His returns to be with Him, and cries, for He shares in the sorrow felt by the ones who loved His child. He tells them He loves them and renews their hope. He's waiting for us, and so is JP.

To those of you who knew JP, I express my sorrow, and hope words like these may help you understand, he's not gone, he's waiting for you...

Sincerely,

Robert Hilliard.

M

Mikeymike

I'm sorry for the loss of you of your friend, and my heart goes out to his family and to you. I can't even even imagine what you are going through right now, all I can offer is sympathy in your mourning. The hurt and anger will fade with time into something much more beautiful, and that will be your memory of JP.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Thanks for the responses, y'all. No need to know what to say. I sure haven't figured it out these past few days.

I do want to share this here, though. It's a bit about JP that's very much related to the site.

The last deck JP built had a ton of angels (his favorite creatures) and those annoying white enchantments that cripple your creatures, like Hobble. He called it the Handicapped Angel deck, crippling the opponent's army while pounding away with winged warriors. Anyway, he adopted Handicapped Angel as one of his AIM handles.

I cannot believe how f'ing appropriate this has all turned out to be. JP means a helluva lot to me. He made me feel good about myself at times when no one else was doing much in that area. He's also pretty much the reason my girlfriend and I are together today. His initial approval was very important to me, for some reason. And it was wonderful how quickly she also took to him. She and I dated last summer, then broke up as she spent a semester in Italy. When she came back, it was all up in the air what would happen with us, but he saw that we should be together. If it weren't for him talking to her for hours on end about it all, she might not have decided it was worth another go. Now we're about to move in together.

There are also these other odd little coincidences that I'm sure I'm really stretching it to notice, but they're there. Courtney (my girlfriend) and I actually noticed this stuff from the very beginning. JP stands for John Phillip. My dad's name is John. Courtney's is Phillip. Our initial anniversary (from last summer) was on JP's birthday. We got a new anniversary when she returned from Italy. JP died on the day we hit eight months.

Now, JP had quite a few struggles. He was a constant reminder of why I didn't want to be 16 again. All that identity-searching...which I'm still going through...is super-tough when you're a teenager, y'know? But, JP faced a ton of ****e that I've never had to. He told me more than once that he felt like he had aged faster than he was supposed to, and in some ways, he might have been right. At any rate, this world held him down in so many ways.

I feel so weird being so...sappy, I guess, about this stuff. But I keep coming back to the idea that I'm so lucky that JP touched my life. It's a shame that life didn't always deem him so lucky, though.

Finally, now, the Handicapped Angel gets to go home. I have tears in my eyes as I write it, but I have to like thinking about it that way.

Thanks for reading.

M

mythosx

When a person dies, it is like a candle blowing out. And our collective light gets a little dimmer. It does not matter whether or not we knew this person personally or not the loss is still tragic. Just like a candle, a light up close is much brighter than it is far away, and the loss is all the more felt. And so in closing, my moment of silence for another one of us who has taken his last turn. I invite you all to join me.