A question to all Off-Topicers...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Question: Am I the only disguested with the Off Topic and Battle Arena section?

Recently, I clicked on a theard somewhere, and I started reading it, and I was thinking "Yah, finally someones gonna stand up and say that off topic sucks", but they complained that it needed more fluff!!!
Am I the only one that wishes for more...(I hesitate to say serious) intelligent conversation?

Now, I dont want this to turn into a thread about what you *think* about spam, or the off-topic/battle arena's. I just wanna know if people like how it is now, or dislike it. I dont want this to turn into a flame war, and I dont want this thread closed. So please (Glares at duke), keep it short, and please post your opinion, and please try not to argue with people.

In advance, thank you all for inputting your calm and intelligent preference on this matter.

H

Hawaiian mage

I'm pretty sure your the only one who disgusted with the off-topic forums...

That's all I can say without flameing, sorry.

D

DÛke

...you did not need to glare at me; I've been behaving pretty darn well recently, or so, my ego tells me.

I, actually, agree with you Casey. I think the Off-Topic area has fallen way down, somewhere, where the kindful human eye couldn't not see beyond.

One reason, I think, is that, we have many new members. I like new members, and I treat them as though they were veteran members and dear friends, but if I had to say what must be told: many of the "new" members, or should I say "newly to the Off-Topic area", are...well...not very, creative.

The Off-Topic area used to be a place where...Off-Topic stuff could be posted, and what is meant by Off-Topic is stuff that does NOT have to do with Magic. Though, the recent Off-Topic threads are mostly just...meaningless, in one sense or another.

Yes, the Off-Topic is not for Magic, but it is not for spam. Not many are spamming, but many are not being creative. I even, sometimes, FEAR to post something "creative" in the Off-Topic area, NOT because it might not get any replies, but because it might NOT get any "meaningful" replies. I used to luve the Off-Topic the most of all of the members - I could assure that - but now, I think many have won that award.

What can we do about it? Not much. As long as we have a constant growth in this environment, we will not be able to control everyone, or most of everything. It's up to the people themselves to see what fits where and how, not the moderators - not anymore.

I give a big pat on the shoulder for our wonderful moderators who have been keeping track of some of the MORE "less-creative" stuff by deleting and shortening some of those "things". Good job, especially to TomB, Zadok, and Spiderman.

The problem, this time, is not of "...what is spam", but it's about creativity.

That's all I'm 'bout t'say.

N

nodnarb24

The off topic area is alright but I liked it a lot better in the past when their were more creative and interesting posts.
Also, I find the battle arena boring because their are no more good battles and fights.

DÛke: I don't think he glared at you about flaming but about post length.

A

arhar

All I can say is we NEED this forum. If this forum dissapears, where does all the spam go? Right, main boards :) We don't really need it ;)

B

Bob

I vote to ban FoR
:)j/k
bu seriously, I LOVE THE OFF TOPIC SECTION, Though we could live without the battle arena, and yes, the off topic forum used to be great.
you think we have spam?
http://www.phyrexia.com
Spam capital of the Magic world...

P

Purple_jester

I love the off-topic forum. Some topics may be boring to some people, but others are fascinating. Besides, this is one of the best rant zones, and not everybody wants to talk about Magic all the time.

No comment on the battle arena. I've never been there. Ever. ;)

H

Hetemti

Off-Topic is 14m00r than it should be, but it will flux...good stuff turns to crap...people ignore it...people make good use of an ignored forum...it becomes good...then it turns to crap again...

...kinda like Magic expansions.

As for Battle Zone, or whatever it's called...I first thought it was for either retelling and posting of good matches, or perhaps to facilitate online play w/o Apprentice using the old "trust" system. (Ah...the good ole days...)

Then I went there. Nothing but pointless flames, spam, and babbiling BS. I don't need to waste my time with: "huh, huh, yeah, like...that guy with the name that sounds like a llama expectiating...yeah...he sucks and stuff. L0s3rz!!!!!!"

Guess I have too much of a life to spend it one-uping a 9-year-old. (Least, someone with the mentality thereof.)

[Edited for profanity (I left the other stuff alone though ;)) - TomB]

D

DÛke

...1 D0|\|7 s33 | - |0\/\/ Hetemti < 0|_| l |) < 4ll 4|\|Y0|\|3 4 "L0s3r"...| ) 03s 7|-|Is pl4<3 <0|_||\|7 4s 83l0/\/gI /\/g to "L0s3rs"?

C

Cateran Emperor

[me]points out that Hetemi spelled "one-upping" wrong[/me].

I have no problem with the way things are right now, but I do miss all the old crazy stuff that happened in these two forums that so define our boards. Maybe we need to liven it up agina?

H

Hetemti

Good job reading the text there...had you paid attention you would have noted that "L0s3rz!!!" was part of a quote...in fact, put that post on Rocket Number 9, Cambot...
I don't need to waste my time with: "huh, huh, yeah, like...that guy with the name that sounds like a llama expectiating...yeah...he sucks and stuff. L0s3rz!!!!!!"
See that first quotation mark betwixt the colon and the Bevisesque giggle? That indicates that the following was an example of the aforementioned babbling BS that proliferates the Spamilicious posts that comprise the Battle Bowel or whatever it's called. (Aside: TomBSpeak is doubleplusungood when it comes to dramatic effect...I'll have to punt a kitten next time to make up for it.)

Now, am I going to have to provide a roadmap, some Huggies Ultratrim, and a bag of marshmellows in order to ensure you don't get lost in the journey that is reading a passage authored by me, or are you gonna pay attention to the little dots and slashy things next time?

Oh, and DÛke, quit trying to oneup my 114m1sp33|<, j00 ƒ00!

D

DÛke

...do you have somethin' against me? Because that's the second time you act a bit "rude" against me...I think that YOU think THAT you are all that or something'...I think you need to calm down and chill, JUST a little bit, that's all. Nobody is haunting your back, it's a new year, don't ruin yourself, LIKE you ruined your past year, ok? 1 7|-|1/\/|< J00'|23 4 817<|-|...

As for the main topic, FoR...do you have any suggestions? I mean, we need all the pieces of advice we could get, and you seem like you might have good suggestions...please, as Almindhra would say: "...do tell". :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Id like to apologize to Duke and anyone else I offened with my post, the whole glare thing was uncalled for, I apologize.

Suggestions? Dont post so much crap, thats my suggestion. Right before your about to press the Submit Reply, check a couple of things.

1) Am I on topic?

2) Does what im about to post here have any *actual* meaning?

3) Will it offend any CPA members, and if so, how can I prevent that?

Please, this is just a suggestion.

H

Hetemti

You missread my post.

I corrected you.

The end of my second post was in jest, refering to the 1337 h4x0r t3xt's being a pointless contravance. It was in do way a challenge or an assualt.

I ruined last year? Assuming you refer to this year, A.D.2000, I did not realize that it was my fault that Alec Guinnes died, that Gore was a fool, that NBC's Friday Night got canceled, and that Alex Baldwin is going to leave the country. Thank your for informing me. I can only hope that my unconcious powers over the universe will continue to grow...

I've'd enough of this idle talk and will no longer post here. Anyone who has read the intial post by Foundation will note that this thread is becoming the very vile, putrid, corpulent mercturation that the Battle Arena propogates...one subject of this thread.

DÛke. I've nothing against you. I'm not merely "all that." I'm all that and more. I wish you a happy new year.

A

Apollo

DUke: Hetemti didn't call anyone a loser. He was making fun of some of the posts in here.

In the next post, he was making fun of you because you completely misinterpreted him and got all mad for no reason. He was not really being "rude", just silly.:)

I hope this cleared stuff up, because this post has turned into the kind of thing FoR was talking about.

FoR: I agree that there is a lot of fluff in here. I just ignore it, though, and look at the good stuff.

D

DÛke

...points, FoR. Though, one thing...I think that before posting a post, or...starting a new thread, the poster should just think a bit if it was "creative" in ANY way possible. I know this could be classified as "...but what is CREATIVE to anyone else?", though, that's not the point...the point is, each and every single one of us KNOWS exactly what's boring, and what's just a little bit on the more creative side...it shouldn't be THAT hard to even light up the most boring of threads, just use some basic thinking.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I feel the Battle Arena, although worthy in concept and name, is useless in reality.

Off-Topic definitely has its place and hey, it can't be interesting ALL the time. And like people said the admins try to cut down on totally USELESS posts but most are okay (soap opera, clinic, parties, etc).