A Public Service Announcement for Veteran Members!

C

ChasDen

Hey all –

Been really busy with all the selling stuff and moving but thought I would pop in and see whatz up. Membership is up, posts are up, traffic is up, and with all that so is the undesirable stuff that goes with it. As a whole, FOUNDERS BE PROUD – things are going well. Ed works hard enough <Clapping heard in background> And the censorship remedy always makes me nervous. BUT if offensive language is becoming a problem nip it in the butt. It not only reflects bad on the site, but risks its whole existence. As a host, it is MY responsibility to make sure there are no offenses to the Terms of Service of the provider. Honestly a flame here and a 4 letter word here is no big deal. BUT if it becomes a problem “The service reserves the right to issue a first time warning for offensive material to any host site. Second offenses with issued and immediate termination. Sites will only be reinstated once all offensive material has been removed and will be watched for further violations.” From the TOS agreement. As much as I love having the honor of hosting the CPA, I need my site to make a living. Keep on top of it, cuz 1 warning and we have a problem. I don’t know the posts or posters that may have brought this up, but make sure it does not get too far out of hand. Oh and BTW, don’t give me the Free Speech line of bull either. The Service HAS THE RIGHT TO SET COMMUNITY STANDARDS. As I surf I do not think there is a problem so severe that anyone need worry, just keep it in mind.

BTW – Wish I had more time to keep up on all the posts but work comes first. <sigh>

Killer Joe

(Loud Parade Music!)
Dude, I'm totally sorry, I almost forgot about you. Welcome back (even if it's only for a post or two).

F

FoundationOfRancor

Swear word: Bad
CPA: good

Im behind wahtever you guys decide 100%

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Yeah, what Chuck said :)

And just to elaborate his "free speech is bull" line -
1. The internet is an international medium. What constitution? :)
2. This message board is provided as a private service and therefore does not have to abide by federal regulations. :p (Compare to private schools [or something, I may be mixing this up] where "discrimination" is legal.)

...so there!

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Profanity can get us kicked off of the Internet?

:eek:

Then Mike, I think you and Chuck should take whatever action you deem appropriate. We do not wish to lose the CPA over this (and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to Chuck), and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that!

I don't even think it'll require a vote ;).

T

theorgg

Truly, I belive some profanity is legitamate.

I have the tendancy to use descression with words. just plopping it down like that guy did on my 'foul beast' post was just dumb. Truly, I believe I shouldn't be on the role model list for several fu(dge tastes good)cn' reasons. I don't[me]picks nose[/me] always behave in good taste, have very annoying tendancies(ask Turtle about Fog'ive and Fog'it), am very unsure of what everyone else would think about my creations I'm proud of(I hoped I wouldn't spark another big trhead with my PR report on the dojo) and all around I'm not exactly as you should be. I do, however, try for something viable and level headed in about 90% of the time.

As for cencoring, If my suggestion below cannot work, I'd vote for #2-- Unnessisary swearing would be deleted with discression depending on whether it has a valid point behind it and truly enhances the person's argument. For those who want to swear, pick up ole english cusswords like "Bags"(used similarly to the big F as an intisifier and literally means "I lay claim to ______, such as BAGS on the table!-like "shotgun" is now) or Bloody ell(not sure of usage, seems to be like oh hell or OH $#*!)

as for a suggestion, is there a possibility of a script that immediatly replaces the worst ("F", "S", "GD") with somthing like $#*!, #~@#, plain damn, dammit, et cetera?
most television shows have said everything except the "F" word, and one came VERY close, or so I've heard.

In summary, cussing as a emotion modifier-- O.K. in moderation.
Blantant pointless cussing-- Not a good thing.