A Proposed Fix For Waylay

Z

Zadok001

Ok, I have an idea. Currently there seems to be several different parties in the CPA, all with different views on Waylay.

1. "Recind errata altogether!" This group seems to want Waylay to act as it did during Nationals.
2. "Recind the errata and fix the end step!" This group wants Waylay to still be defensive, but have the errata removed. They also want the end step itself fixed.
3. "Recind the errata and issue new errata!" This group (to which I belong) wants Waylay to remain defensive, and generally think that the errata was simply poorly phrased.
4. "Leave it alone!" This group thinks R&D did a good job with the errata, and doesn't want it changed at all.

Now, we need to know which one of these groups has the most people, so we can find out where, exactly, we stand. For the record, I belong to group 3. The errata I support is:

Waylay 2W
Instant
Put 3 Knight tokens into play. Treat these tokens as 2/2 white creatures. Remove these tokens from the game at the beginning of any turn.

This solves the aggressive Waylay problem, lets you cast it at any time, and has no obvious problems. Any comments?

Anyway, I want to know where we stand.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

Ferret

Staff member
It's good - as a matter of fact, it's great. It still doesn't fix the problem, but it opens up a great new way for errata...what if they did that for everything that has an end of turn effect...

-ferret

"...if they can reword all damage prvention, thish shouldn't be too hard..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Put me down for a vote in group 1. 666e Waylay pre-errata turned a useless card (from a tournament perspective) into a decent but not overpowered card. I think they should have left it alone.

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

G

Gryphonclaw

I prefer the third, (errta'd) version. This is a decent blocking card, and the idea is cool. I think that this version is true to what the card was meant to be.

C

Captain Caveman

The fix is perfect. Maybe you should work for
WoTC! If all such cards had this wording it
would end the issue. Right?

However, I think it should work the way it
did at Nationals. Someone figured it out and
we should be able to play it that way. (my
opinion)

Please consider me in the first group.
Caveman

M

Mundungu

I am for #3 and like Zadok's errata.

I prefer to play the cards in the way they were meant to be played.
If they watned Waylay to be used also to attack they would have given the text "at the end of your next turn. or something like that.

I think the spirit of the card is more important that the exact words and am not a keen sentence analyser.

D

Duel

Come on people! Waylay is a maximum of six damage. I say maximum, becuase if you can't afford six damage and don't have a blocker out by turn three, you don't deserve to live. Let the card go. I never had a problem with it.

Ohmigod! three 2/2's! My Trained armodon can't handle that!"

C

Chaos Turtle

What took me so long?

Actually, I hated the idea of 'fixing' Waylay. But, here's my vote just the same.

I go for '3' rephrase the errata. A very simple Thawing Glaciers-like fix would be ideal.

Add:
"If it is the end step, remove these tokens from the game."

How hard was that?

(still, I didn't have a problem with the 'new' post-6th Waylay)

T

theorgg

It wasn't the six damage that really was the problem.

It was that the flavor of white isn't six qick/9quick/12quick damage like waylay could potentially be.

It's RED's flavor.

not white.

D

Dune Echo

Arg, instant creatures were first introduced in white! Anyone remember Errand of Duty?

--------------
Dune Echo

P.S. ORGG! OY! MATE! READ THIS!

I have M.U.S.C.L.E.S.!

G

Gryphonclaw

Welll, actually it was Dunes fault, and my boredness caused me to implement his idea.