A Poll for the RPG players...

Is this game worth continueing?

• You have created a horrid piece of drivel that would not entertain retarded monkeys. I only continu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I agree with some of the points above, and feel we should abandon this venture.

• I agree with some of the points above, but feel we should try to finish what we have started.

• I think that all is well, and we should continue.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
R

Rando

I'm having serious trouble keeping my own attention and interest in this game I've concocted. I can only imagine what you think.

I think I've tried too hard with developing a story and fallen flat on my face.

Please tell me what you think, and if you would be willing to ever do this again as long as I run something more straight forward and simple, like the dungeon crawl we first did oh so long ago.

Please be honest.

Thanks.

jp

R

rkoelsch

It might have been a mistake for me to bring my previous character. I cannot find anything really useful for him to do. By the time I think of a question Dorgath has already asked it. That is why I have been so silent.

R

Rando

The reason you have nothing to do is my fault, not yours.

I've painted everyone into a corner by providing such a static, rigid enviorment with few choices.

I just made a lot of mistakes when I came up with this one.

But, I'll follow the will of the people, whatever that may be.

So please vote!

D

Daggertooth

I'm having fun. :)

I'm not entirely sure where the storyline is going or whats going to happen, But isn't that part of these sort of games.

Theres no defined enemy here. Just a poisoned king. It's turning into a more of a detective story. It's still early enough to make it into a good RPG. Afterall you did fix that entire Poison Fiasco. (which was my fault and I do appologise)

I'll keep playing. This one or a new one. It's fun all the same. (as long as you don't send me to check a dosen Apothecaries. :p )

Dagertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's going fine. The only "hardship" is that if the story doesn't continue to progress on a regular basis, it feels plodding.

Plus, some of the characters "feel" like they have a different alignment and it's hard to play with that, especially right now when we're kind of separated. I mean, after the poisoning, it was basically a bunch of characters doing their own thing. There wasn't a consensus like "ok, you check with the stewards, you check outside, you check the castle, etc). It doesn't feel like a "team" experience yet.

Melkor

I certainly will continue playing this game and would certainly play in another game if that is what is desired. I agree that this game hasn't moved with the same ease and speed as the others but sometimes these problems are unavoidable. I agree that for something like this it is probably better for the characters to be a clearly defined group because it is hard to keep on top of everything but I don't think it is working too badly. Also it felt sort of weird in the beginning for random people to be volunteering to solve something so important, which is why I didn't volunteer but my character is naturally curious so wants to perform his own investigation.

Anyway, I vote to try to continue this adventure but I am amicable to a new game if a majority or Rando decide that that would be better.

E

EricBess

I don't think it needs to feel like a team. I prefer this sort of adventure to a dungeon stomp. Something to figure out and we are basically on our own as to how we go about it. The one thing I would say, though, is not to try to force clues down our throats. It is more fun to stay in character and miss something (intentionally or otherwise) than to chase after something that the character wouldn't even think twice about. We can keep those sorts of things in mind without actively pursuing the lead.

As far as people splitting up, one of the big issues is that people post on different schedules, so without splitting up, certain players are at a disadvantage.

If you are getting overwelmed by the story, Rando, than we can slow down or pull things together, but I think it is going well. Just remember that we will probably throw you surprises as often as you do us. ;) And there is nothing wrong with a tag-team GM approach if you want one of us to consult on the storyline with you.

E

EricBess

One thing - Each character needs to, to some degree, create his own destiny. If you don't feel you have anything to do, at least volunteer to tag along with someone who is in the middle of something.

Rando, there is nothing saying that something can't happen at the ballroom to draw someone's suspicion and give those left behind something to follow up on. Perhaps we should do a roll-call and see if there is someone who feels they need something to do. For example, I am off with Caplon right now. Someone could have come with me if they had wanted to, but backtracking might be tricky.

If there are people still in the main room, make something happen there.

E

EricBess

You know, maybe I should think of all my points and list them at once. Anyway, I did think of one other thing. I don't think we've every had an RPG thread go this many pages before. I haven't taken care of what I set off to do, but it may be possible to get people back together and start a chapter 2. Even if there is a "divine intervention" of just saying that everone finished what they are doing and gets back together.

If I remember correctly, the only ones still outside the main area are those at the apocathary (just Daggertooth, right?) and myself. He could head back and if I made it to the Queen's chambers and (for example), she was missing, than I would need to regroup as well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess it depends on how you run things, but if it doesn't feel like a team, how are we supposed to help each other? Isn't that kind of the point of an RPG? Otherwise, Rando can run 5 little ones, each in our own story... :p

The previous one ran this many pages (and probably a few more) but that time it felt like we were moving. I understand Rando schedule and all, but we really haven't moved anywhere in terms of finding anything. Kinda feels like a soap opera :)

R

Rando

The previous one was like 6 chapters of 100+ posts each.

I guess I just have to shake things up, and that involves going in directions I had not intended.

I supose we keep going, since that's what the poll says to do. I'll think of something...I guess...:confused:

E

EricBess

Don't get me wrong, Spidey. We are a team because we all have the same goal in mind. We help each other out because it is convenient to do so. We don't need to feel like a "group" to do that. Yes, it is a bit more akward, but that's half the fun of role playing is interacting with other characters, especially when your character may not agree or like one of the other characters due to personality clash.

As an example, you would need to see some of the old stories we've done, but there was almost an enmity between Rebrouge (Duke) and my character, Galdan. As long as everyone realizes that you are just playing your character, there's nothing wrong with that.

My current character is quite haughty and looks down upon "lesser" people based on station. That includes a few of the other PCs, but again, that is just the character and not me. In fact, it might be fun to see what plays out if one of the non-noble PCs started to tag along to keep an eye on me because they didn't trust my biased eye to catch important facts.

P

Prince RXI

Ok, I think we all agree that the RPG should continue. I, for one, enjoy it! Well, because this past monday marked the first time I played D&D and I am doing good at it, I really want to continue. Maybe next time I can be the DM and make one. I just want to see if I'm any good before I make a fool of myself at the Game Keeper.

Prince RXI, Wants the RPG to continue 10 fold

D

Daggertooth

Yeah, character clashed could be interesting. Afterall, RXI's character dosn't care for killing animals. And everything I use and wear is made out of animals. This shall prove interesting. :)

Daggertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know personality clashes are sometimes good for the game and it's all "in character"; however, I feel it would have been better if we had all "traveled" together or did a dungeon crawl or whatever first before doing a detective type story for that to work.

Right now, my character really has no reason to share information with anyone except Roland (who's with me and I know from a previous adventure). We all just came together in the dance hall but quickly went on our separate ways. I don't think we all really introduced ourselves to each other or had the nobles sit us down and say "Look, we're putting you guys in charge of investigating" or something.

Likewise, if someone gets in trouble now, how likely is it that we would help one another? I might, just because of the principle, but would you others who are playing more "haughty" or aloof characters? I just don't feel there's a feeling of comraderie. Maybe that's good and we'll see how the story plays out. It's just by now, usually I would expect the group to have bonded somewhat.

D

Daggertooth

Hmmmm, I agree. The fealing of comraderie is very important in this game. My character wouldn't lift a finger to help anyone right now. Unless it served him in some way. But it is still early in the RPG. I'm sure Rando will think of something.

Daggertooth

P

Prince RXI

Uh, spidy? I think that the RPG will have a lot of teamwork stuff in the future and I think the game would be fun and funny is we didn't know how to work together till then:). Think about it: We do not know each other that well;+ We all have different abilities;+ We all seem to think that we work better alone;+ We finally end up in the same place but need to help each other to get out = We all end up learning what each of us can do and learn to fuction as a team with each other. I don't think that we would all use the same guys next (I think I wouldn't anyway) unless we have a good teamwork system in it from the start (I've noticed that some of you, I won't say who, seem to not like the new meetings in these RPGs). So, what do you say?

Prince RXI, REALLY wants to continue

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that that's probably the way it's gonna go; it's more my personal like that we would have started out as a group in the first place and agreed to help. As it is now, my character doesn't have any motivation to actively share any info that he might find with the others and vice versa; the only way I might get something from the others is by overhearing or something.

But I still would like the RPG to continue.

E

EricBess

I don't completely agree that we have no motivation to share. Remember, we already talked about setting up "headquarters" in a room somewhere. I think the idea was to regroup there and exchange information.