A new Type I format

Ferret

Staff member
Here's an idea for a new Type I format: all commons. You can use any card in existence provided it's not an Uncommon or a Rare. It would encourage some creative decks mostly because so many of the winning decks you see at the big tourneys have something like 10-15 basic lands, 5-10 rare specialty lands, 20-30 rares and a few commons and uncommons and have a pricetag close to the monthly salary of the average high school student... that's not right.

How about decks that cost about $5 to make and are still competitive? It could happen.

-ferret

"...Lightning Bolt?!?! That's a common? Aiieeee!!!!!'

W

Waubers

Been there done that and it worked good. We made it so that you could use upto 4 uncommons in the whole decks so that we could add some urza block artifacts.

Waubers

Lotus Petal is common!

B

Baron Sengir

My little brother and I have been doing this lately. In fact, it inspired my first article for the CPA website. I hope you guys get to read it soon. I'm rather proud of it.

I remain
The Baron
You wouldn't believe how dominant a Green stompy deck can be in an all commons tourney.

Ferret

Staff member
Sure, I can. Fast big creatures are usually Uncommons and Rares in other colours - Green has always had more (at least until Exodus). This is why Green is often very stron in Limited...

-ferret, CPA Council

"...look forward to reading your article - I'm off to write mine..."

D

Dune Echo

Hey, are Homelands tri-lands common? I think SRB would kick some ass considering how many spells there are out there that have only 1 or 2cc and deal between 2 to 5 points (Kindle and Scent of Cinder can do this, I swear...) Hey, maybe we could post decks for Common Type I tournements. But does that pull us out of the casual players bracket we are trying to be?