A new idea at school

A

Apollo

My brother is in an advanced program that has him taking a math class one grade ahead of what he should be taking. I was in this as well, and when I was in 8th grade I had to take a bus to the high school so I could take math first period, then take a bus back to the Middle School, then sit around until it was time for 2nd period.

At the time, I thought this was stupid. But for my brother, they've outdone themselves. They want him to take a class via video, watching the teacher teach class over at the other school. There's about 30 kids geting screwed like this because they're too cheap to fork out the extra bucks to get a teacher to teach another class. Now, the problems are obvious: if you don't get something, you can't ask the teacher to go back over it; if you have a question, you can't ask it; and if you have trouble with the homework, there's no way to be sure the teacher will go over it. Not to mention the fact that the chances of all those kids, by themselves, actually paying attention to the video are nil.

Of course, just about every student's parents have complained, but it looks like they can't do anything. Right now, my brother will be dropping out of the program and taking a math class lower than the one he's currently taking, just to avoid this "tele-teaching."

So, my question is, have any of you heard of anything like this being done? And what do you think of it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They do it in college for big classes... looks like they're borrowing a page from them.

But it does sound like it sucks... does the instructor have an email or ways to contact him if you have questions? Phone or something?

N

nodnarb24

My school has a Long Distance Learning Lab. It is setup up with video cameras and microphones so you can actually participate in the class. The same thing is setup with all the surrounding High Schools so you can have one class setup up with people from all the different high schools in the area. I haven't been able to experience yet since there is only one or two different course using it.

Also we don't have the problem you expressed in your situation since our middle school and high school is connected.

A

Apollo

I think they said that he can be contacted via fax.

Oh, and there has now been a mass exodus from the program.:)

E

ErinPuff

I'm in math two years ahead of "normal," one year ahead of the accelerated program. In middle school, there was one "special class" that had all the "special people" in it. Now (as a high school freshman), I'm in a class that is mostly sophomores and juniors, with four other freshmen. I think I'd fail a TV class. :p