A New Game

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, besides Tribond, who's up for a new game? It's based on cards which means I'm going to do some dopey attempts at ASCII graphics (I think) to let you guys see the set up. For this, I need dedicated people to keep playing, 'cause though I can "randomly" do your turn if you happen to miss, it's still better if you can participate for every round.

The choices:

Zum Kuckuck: This is a game where you have "chickens" and you try not to lose them through your cardplay. Scores are carried over to each round where you end up playing each hand (i.e. after the first round, you pass your hand to the left and play the hand that you will receive). Thus, everyone gets a chance to play every hand and you can see how well you do compared to your opponents.

"Bulls" (since I can't remember the proper name right now): This is a game where you try not to collect too many bullheads (i.e. points) through your card play. This just goes up to a certain score, like hearts; whoever has the least at the end wins.

Anyone who's interested, give a vote and I'll put up the full rules for whatever game.

P

Prince RXI

I'll join and I too have no preferance.

Prince RXI, gamers are we

E

EricBess

I hate games and have sworn off them for good....

No, wait, that doesn't sound right, does it? I guess I'm in then.

A

Apollo

I'll play, but I'm totally confused by your game descriptions so I can't vote for one.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
(the real name of the Bulls head game).

Okay, since we have 6 players, we'll play Take 6 (Zum Kuckuck is only 3-5). Here's how you play:

The object is to keep the lowest score; when someone hits X amount of points (I'll find out what it is), the lowest score wins.

There's cards from 1-100 or 120 (can't remember), each with a different number of bullheads on it (there's a pattern and I'll let you know). I'm going to deal out 10 to each player.

Next there's going to be 6 columns, each with a card. Say it looks like this:

Each of you tells me a card from your hand that you want to put in the columns (PM of course). I'll take each card from lowest to highest and put them in the proper column in ascending order.

So let's say these are the cards that I get from you guys:

Ransac 99
Prince RXI 50
Gerode 6
EricBess 77
Melkor 100
Apollo 20

Going in order from lowest to highest, these are the cards I place in the columns in this order: 6, 20, 50, 77, 99, 100

So the columns look like this:

And we move on to the next round of cards.

Now, if a card is added that would be the sixth card in the column, the person takes the pile of five cards and leaves his sixth one there for the new column, thus taking whatever points or bullheads that are on those five cards. Similarly, if someone plays a card whose number is lower than the lowest column (in our example above, that would be cards 1-4), they have to take a pile but are allowed to choose ANY of the six piles, not necessarily the one that starts with 5 (I think, I'll make sure tomorrow).

I plan this to go fast so though I'll put a date by which you have to submit your card, if everyone submits it sooner I'll just post the results of the round and move on to keep it moving.

Any questions? :) Hopefully it will start tomorrow.

E

EricBess

Sounds simple enough. Need to know what the cards go to, etc. I do have a couple of questions, one of which might be (sort of) answered already.

What happens if a pile of 5 gets 2 cards added to it? Does the person with the 6th card (as opposed to the 7th) get the pile and both cards remain? I'd say yes based on your description.

Conscerning the low cards? What about the high cards? If the cards go to 120 (for example), what happens when someone plays card 120? If the piles keep getting higher, then something needs to be done about this. It seems that one of two things would make sense -
1. Card wrap. If this were correct, I think you would remember.
2. When you play a lower card, you are forced to take the highest pile. The lowest pile keeps getting higher, so that would make far more sense than being forced to take the lowest pile. If you got to choose the pile, it seems that you could still get into ruts, just not as bad.

Anyway, once you finish posting the things you weren't sure about (bullheads per card, how high the cards go, etc.) I'm all set. Let's have some fun.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if a pile of 5 gets 2 cards added to it? Does the person with the 6th card (as opposed to the 7th) get the pile and both cards remain? I'd say yes based on your description.
Yes, the 6th card's person eats it up and the 7th card's person is saved.

Conscerning the low cards? What about the high cards? If the cards go to 120 (for example), what happens when someone plays card 120? If the piles keep getting higher, then something needs to be done about this. It seems that one of two things would make sense -
1. Card wrap. If this were correct, I think you would remember.
2. When you play a lower card, you are forced to take the highest pile. The lowest pile keeps getting higher, so that would make far more sense than being forced to take the lowest pile. If you got to choose the pile, it seems that you could still get into ruts, just not as bad.
When the high(est) card is played, that pile is effectively dead since no cards can be played past it. I'm afraid that your two solutions actually don't make sense with me ;), but if I remember correctly, since the low card gets to to choose a pile, you're probably going to pick one with the fewest points and/or will help you play the rest if your cards. Also, the case can occur where one of the middle piles has 5 cards, the next one up has 2 or whatever, you as the low card take that small pile sosomeone who thought they were being safe all of a sudden ends up taking the 5 card pile. Trust me, it'll work out :)

E

EricBess

Okay, I trust you. It sounds like there might be timing issues with playing the low card.

Just to clarify, does the top card of the pile become the new value for the pile? For example, start with what you had before:

Now, next round, someone plays 15. Does it go in the 14,20 pile because the bottom card is lower than the 15? Or does it go in the 5,6 pile because it is now lower than the 20, which is the top card of the second pile.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, timing issues in that since the lowest card is played first, by the time it gets to the higher cards the situation may have changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It goes in the 14,20 pile; the columns try to remain ascending in order. So if there were four cards there, 14, 15, 16, 19, and you played the 20 and someone else played the 17, you'd end up taking the pile because the 17 makes it 5 cards and you're the sixth.

[Edit] Wait, EricBess made me think in a PM so everyone disregard the above until I get the game tomorrow and check the rules. It's been a while since I played it so these nuances escape me :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, the game lasts until someone reaches 66 points at the end of a round, which is when all 10 cards are played. Whoever has the LEAST amount of points then wins.

The cards are from 1-110.

I was totally wrong in EricBess' question above; the 15 goes in the 5,6 pile. Basically, when it's time to tell me a card, think of the LAST card of each pile as the "active" one that determines where cards go (or as EricBess said, the new value for that pile).

There are only FOUR piles, not six.

Here's how the points work:

Card 55 = 7 Bullheads (points)
Cards that are multiples of 11 = 5 Bullheads
Cards that are multiples of 10 = 3 Bullheads
Cards that are multiples of 5 = 2 Bullheads
Any other card = 1 Bullhead

This goes down in order of precedence, so 50 is worth 3 Bullheads because it's a multiple of 10 first, before a multiple of 5.

Here we go!

G

Gerode

So in your example, regard the 4th column instead of the 6th as the column you draw?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by "draw". All you're doing is telling me which card from your hand you want to play and hope it doesn't end up as the 6th card in one of the four columns, which means you'll have to take the pile.