A major issue on MTGO

Discussion in 'CPA/WOTC Magic Issues' started by Ferret, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Ferret CPA Founder, Slacker

Okay, someone posted a link to this article while I was playing tonight. It's pretty scary stuff:

Security hole in Magic Online

I'm suddenly glad that I keep a low profile...

-Ferret

"...it was bound to happen sometime..."
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

But you gotta be smart yourself from what it sounds like with the security questions...
  3. Mr_Pestilence Wumpus

Total cards/$ lost due to "security problems" - 0/$0
    Total time lost due to server problems - 0:00
    # of times ripped off in trades - 0
    # of games lost due to connectivity issues - 0
    $ wasted buying digital copies of worthless cards - $0

My lack of investment in MTGO just keeps paying dividends!
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

It's not nice to brag...
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I read that article. It's just a bunch of whining about someone too stupid to create a secure security question.

Since you can make up the question yourself, it's more secure than a lot of places, which just give you a list of questions to choose from, that are only "secure" from people who don't know you. If a person can't come up with a unique question that literally no one else can answer (like mine) without psychic powers or a miraculous guess, one should at least be able to come up with a question that can't be guessed at easily.

So sorry, I feel bad for the poor guy who let his pretend cards get stolen, but it's just childish whining to blame the system when the fault lies with the user.
  6. orgg Administrator

Do you have a good security question?

Then you don't have to worry about this.

If you've done some idiotic thing with your security qustion, ultimatly, what do you expect? someone who abuses it.
  7. NorrYtt Casual Green Mage

Nice read. Wow is my job boring.

I've spent $23.74 on MTGO. That was for 2 draft sets of ONS. I got to play for about 8 drafts with winnings and sells but I eventually lost it all. I traded some U/G madness (huge at the time) for a Domain engine (4 Rampant Growth, 4 Harrow, 4 Worldly Counsel, 24 basic lands, 2 Holistic Wisdom, 2 Questing Phelddagrif). It's an amazingly fun and powerful deck.

The virtual parties were great. I pulled a Sliver Queen which went right into my Domain deck. Mirari's Wake + Sliver Queen = some good.
  8. train The Wildcard!!!...

I wonder sometimes about sniffers (especially wireless) and someone cracking it all...

Of course - WoTC could just set back the servers...:rolleyes: