A little off topic ..but please look

Q

Quill

Thanks to everyone who responded to my MTG novel thread. As a side note I'd like to ask everyone's opinion of what is the best fantasy novel series? I'm trying to quit watching so much television..reading helps. :)

C

Chaos Turtle

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (except for the last third of Wizard and Glass which was silly -- the rest of the book more than makes up for it though!).

As a an FYI - King and Peter Straub are supposed to be working together again on a sequel to The Talisman, which may become a new favorite, as it will then qualify as a series (won't it?).

Wanna quit watching TV? Good decision. I can recommend a ton of books...

D

Dune Echo

HELL YEAH! The Dark Tower is one of the very best series I've ever read. Shame it hasn't been finished yet. (Fecking hurry up, Stephen!)

Personally, I've really liked Wheel of Time too. Great characters.

The "Myth" series by Robert Aspin or Asprin is one of the most humorous series I've ever read.

The Dark Elf Trilogy and Icewind Dale trilogy by R.A. Salvatore is great.

There's a series by Joel Rosenberg that's about a group of college kids that are playing D&D one night and get transported into a fantasy world by the DM. It's an intersting read. The books are short and cool. Check it out. The last book is called "The Warrior Lives" and I can't remember any more than that. Sorry.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Conan books.

Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, SilverThorn, and something at Sethanon by someone who I can't remember right now were pretty good (lotta help, I know :))

Probably the best series in an original setting are the ones with Belgarath and Polgara (man, I am drawing a blank when it comes to author's names!)

The best in a non-original setting (or based off of something else) are the Forgotten Realm books.

Q

Quill

Thanks a lot guys...Stephen King wrote a fantasy novel? And here I thought he was just a horror novelist. I'll start there when I'm done with my MTG books. Keep the suggestions rolling in, I'm finding it a lot more enjoyable reading than watching most of the crap on television...and with a new baby coming I'll need all the relaxing entertainment I can get :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the series with Belgarath and Polgara is called the Belgariad. Belgarion (or just Garion) is the name of the central character.

The sequel series of 5 books starring the same characters is called the Mallorean. Both are excellent reads, though the Mallorean drags a bit in the middle. His other series, the Sapphire Rose thing, wasn't too bad either.

They are all among my favorites. I'd list the Battletech books by Michael Stackpole too, as well as the Dragonriders thing by Anne McCaffery. The Elric thing by Michael Moorcock is classic, and the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien is too.

The Wheel of Time series is probably the one I'd choose to be stranded on a desert isle with, though I'd prefer he (Jordan) finish it first! :cool: Failing that, I guess I'd take the Belgariad.

TomB
CPA Member

Z

Zadok001

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Dragonlance. It's not as advanced in writing style as some of the books mentioned here, but the plots are top-of-the-line, IMHO. The ideas and characters reach well beyond the bounds of the books. (I have to say, though, only the first two trilogies are really worthwhile, with a few exceptions here and there.)

I know we're theoretically on Fantasy here, but Ender's Game just rocks. It's not overly verbose either, but it hits exactly on target. Awesome book, no doubt.

T

theorgg

CHAOS TURTLE, you'll like this one.

It has a cousin of yours toting the world on it's back.
along with the four cosmic elephants...(the sad thing is I know their names...)
Is the Discworld series by terry Pratchett..
And if you can locate his and Neil Gaiman's joint venture, Good Omens(rare, but supposably his best) pick it up. I'm still trying for it.

Second to recommend is the Darksword trilogy by Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. My little brother's name comes from those, Joram. this is the novel that (so I've heard) Magic gets it's "life" from. IF you can find all of them, check them out.
Just don't go out of order with them.

The third sieries I recommend is the Sword of Truth sieries. great books that I was loaned by a friend. there not finished yet, so there's the warning.

If you are interested in getting some cheap HARDCOVER books, e-mail me. the sci-fi bookclub has some very good prices.

D

Duel

I loved the MYTH series by Robert Asprin as well. He also did an amazing and extensive anthology of many writers' work, called "Theives World" .

The thing with Belgarath is called the "Belgarion" by David Eddings. I liked his other series better.

There was a series by Terry Pratchett called Discworld, which recieves my vote for best humorous series. (yes, above HHGtgG)

While I have heard good things about the wheel of time, I never actually liked it. I prefer a series called the Silver Knot. It's by Stephen someone-or-other. I'm sure I will remember the name in a second. Oh well.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, yeah! Ender's Game was excellent. Too bad the rest of the books in that series weren't that great.

The Sword of Truth is definitely ADULT fantasy. Yet with all that entails, I found the books to be a little shallow, and somewhat gratuitous. I've still read 'em twice though.

Maybe I just read too much! :D

TomB
CPA Member

[Edited by TomB (02-24-2000 at 03:10 AM).]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Duel: Yeah, Eddings is the guy! What other series are you talking about?

I liked the Dragonlance but only the first trilogy. In fact, my first ever BBS handle was Tasslehoff Burrfoot (in the mid '80s).

Anybody like Xanth series? Or Piers Anthony in general? I liked maybe the first 5 books and then it became pun-overloaded.

M

Mr_Pestilence

You can't mention Fantasy novels without discussing Michael Moorcock's Elric books.

MM has written tons of loosely related books about the "Eternal Champion", but I think Elric is the best.

Warning: if you decide to read these books, get 2-3 at a time, because you'll go through them very quickly.

C

Chaos Turtle

Jeez, Dune, cut the poor guy (SK) a break. He got hit by a van last year, ya know... ;)

Besides, if rushing means he has to contrive endings like the Wizard of Oz thingie, then I'll happily wait for him to come up with something better?

(side note: Hearts in Atlantis's first part contains references to the world of The Dark Tower, though the second section (from whence the book's title is drawn) is much better writing and actually made me take up Hearts for awhile.)

[Edited by Chaos Turtle (02-24-2000 at 09:39 AM).]

C

Chaos Turtle

I liked the first book of Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant. I only read the first one, which is more like sci-fi, but I found it enjoyable and not loaded with the gratuitous punning of the Xanth novels.

T

theorgg

ADULT??!!?!?!

if you want adult, try the duo Mordred's Curse/Merlin's Gift by Ian Mcdonal.

THERE's some adult books for you!

and I can't believe I forgot Elric.
<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* theorgg kicks himself</font>

Xanth is good, but I've only read the first four...
:{ (

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos: I've got and read all five books to Bio. Rather interesting... I can't tell if it mirrors his actually political and non on life and issues... such as legalizing the drug trade.

A

Apollo

I personally loved the Eddings books and that same series mentioned above that included The Warrior Lives. I too am drawing a complete blank in relation to that, just that the main character was Karl Cullinane. You could probably find the other titles somewhere in Warrior. I just read the first Dragonlance trilogy, and I dont know about the others, but the first three books are great. Xanth is much lighter readiing than any of these. Rarely does anyone die. It is very silly and full of puns, but can keep you enthralled. I liked the Gryphon trilogy and some of the other books by Mercades Lackey, although like Dragonlance these aren't as... verbose or... hmm, I can't think of a word. Anyway, I like them. This page is very helpful, I'm going to check some of these books out myself that I haven't seen.

A

asadoine

I'm a fervent fantasy reader and got to read many books....

The sword of truth id good when there is nothing left to read. Most of the ideas have been used already, esp. took a lot from the Lord of the ring for the first book then repeats the sam schemes for the 2 others

Now the LORD OF THE RINGS, if I may mention is the BEST of BEST and grandfather of all the rest.
Together with Hobbit and silmarillion, one could argue they form a serie.

The wheel of time is too slow for my taste, you dont know if the author knows where he is going.

DragonLance was great and is superb for kids. The plot is great but the writing could somehow be better ... ( I devoured them when I was 15)

The saga of the dragon of Pern (not sure of the name in english) is well written and the story original. Great books...

Terry Pratchet is great in his style ....

Nobody read Elric's Saga ?? Now that's great plot, sadly sometimes poorly written.

The saga from a guy called Zelazni (dont remember title) is great too ....

Well so many books to love,

but for sure

J. R. R. Tolkien's LORD OF THE RING rules above all the others...

berto

D

Duel

Zelazny wrote the Amber saga. Along with the Pern saga it is the top mix of sci-fi fantasy out there (I think it's better than pern).
I think Mercedes Lackey's best series was bardic voices, but I have a soft spot for bards...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
How could I forget Roger Zelazny?

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* TomB slaps forehead in amazement</font>

The Amber series was incredible! And his Sci-fi stuff was great too! My favorite is "Doorways in the Sand", but there's a lot of great material he wrote.

Too bad he died. :(

TomB
CPA Member