4 Forests
4 Islands
1 Creature

Cards in graveyard:
Archivist
Fog Elemental

SCENARIO
--------
Your opponent has a Verdant Force in play, and will overwhelm you during his next turn with tokens.
It is the start of your turn.
You draw a card, hoping for an Unsummon...but get a Giant Growth instead.
You cast Giant Growth on your creature, allowing you to attack and kill your opponent.

What creature are you using? (I've wracked my brain, and only one answer works.)

M

Mundungu

I guess you had to be able to cast the crature in some ways with the 4 islands and 4 forests ?
Is that a condition ?

If not then what about Spirit of the night ?

If you have to be able to play the creature with the lands in play then just need a flyer or forestwalk creature with 5 in attack... and less than UUUU GGGG in the casting cost.

What about lumbering Satyr ???

ehehehehehe

that wasnt so hard ...

G

Gizmo

Erm, methinks wrong.
The creature is in play already - the question is which creature can deal 11 damage without being blocked by the Verdent Force. Neither SotN or Satyr can get 11 damage so Munfungus is wrong.

It`s possible the cards in your graveyard are relevent, but I`m not sure how, possibly a reanimation effect.
Assuming this isn`t some cheaty Posion counter question (the answer is Suq Ata Assasin if you forgot to mention that your opponent has 9 poison counters) then you need some form of evasion or direct damage. I`m guessing to be fair that you can only use G, U or colorless creatures because that`s all you could cast or steal from your opponent.

"You draw a card, hoping for an Unsummon...but get a Giant Growth instead"
Why were you hoping for an unsummon. Is this a clue - that the creature could deal 11 damage without the Giant Growth so long as the Force wasn`t there? That would kind of limit the possibilities a bit - to Kraken, Dreadnought, Gaea`s Liege, or anything with a big colorless pump effect.

And I`m also concerned about the fact that my opponent has all his Saprolings tapped, shouldn`t he get an untapped one at the beginning of my upkeep?

Methinks Istanbul hasn`t thought this one through properly - Maro won`t be quaking in his Puzzling boots after this one.
:p

B

bgbowerman

Istanbul: I have an answer to your riddle; dunno if it's the same one you came up with.

The creature you have in play is Phyrexian Colossus; 8/8 Art Creature; Cannot be blocked by less than 3 creatures.

Giant Growth on PC leaves 11/11. Verdant Force gives Opp 1 Saproling before you draw a card, so only 2 creatures. PC unblockable, 11 Damage, Dead Opp.

Hope this is the same answer you got. You didn't say if my creature was tapped or untapped, so I assumed it was untapped.

Thanx,
Ben g. Bowerman

M

Mundungu

I am stupid .. I read the opp had 8 life total ...

I really know how to make a fool of myself on a regular basis :)

doooo !

G

galtwish

There is no mention of how many Saprolings are in play, nor there condition. However, the Force made a token during the beginning of the opponents turn (summoning sickness), and one during your turn (summoning sickness), so the Colossus can be blocked. I have no idea...

Erik

I

Istanbul

Mundungu - You could not have cast Spirit of the Night; you have no black mana.
Lumbering Satyr would not be able to attack for the kill.

Gizmo - If your opponent had 9 poison counters, I would have said so.
Theoretically, you were hoping for an Unsummon so that your opponent couldn't overrun you next turn with tokens.
Your opponent just summoned his Verdant Force; as such, he gets his first Saproling during your upkeep.
I thought this through very carefully. If YOU had though this through very carefully, you would have realized that all the stuff I just told you, you should have been able to figure out on your own.

bgbowerman - Excellent! That's not the same answer I came up with, but it IS an acceptable answer.

Galtwish - It's the start of your turn. If the Force had made a token during the beginning of the opponent's turn, I would have listed it under 'Cards in play'.

T

theorgg

Tidal Karakan.

8/8 goes to 11/11 and it's completly unblockable, to boot.

H

Hetemti

Tidal Kraken is 6/6, buddy.
(That was my first thought, too.)

I

Istanbul

I KNEW someone would guess Tidal Kraken. :)

If nobody has guessed my answer by midnight, I'll post it.

C

Chaos Turtle

It's a Morphling, of course.

Being a 3/3 , it is 6/6 after the Giant Growth. Simply give it +1/-1 five times, and you got yerself an 11/1 badass, which - once you activeate its 'flying' ability, is capable of teaching that Wakefieldian opponent of yours a lesson or two in the power of the blue-green alliance.

So... do I like win something, or what?

I

Istanbul

Chaos Turtle wins a swift kick in the nuts. :)

Seriously, that was the answer!

Z

Zadok001

Damnit, CT! Here I am, thinking 'Morphling would be so good... But you pump it to 5/1, and then it's only an 8/4!'

I'm such a frickin' moron... :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Ow.

[me]keels over, clutching his assaulted genitals.[/me]

Mental Note: don't answer any more of Istanbul's riddles...

H

Hetemti

Just don't try to pull that with the Assendant Envicar on the scene.

____
-Paying 4 giving both Morphlings +2/-2.
-Ok. They die.
-Huh?!
-They got -1/-1 from the Envicar, 2/2 with +2/-2 is 4/0.
-Ok, pay 2 giving them both -1/+1
-No, you stated you wanted to allow them to resovle. I passed as well, the effects resolve, and the M'lings die as a state based effect.
-Now my 7/6 Avatars of Woe will punch you down to -2.

B

BigBlue

could be a gaeas liege with flight.
8/8 when attacking +3/+3.

but i'm guessing not enchanted, so . . .

I'd have to answer a copper-leaf angel. during his turn sac 3 islands and 3 forests to become an 8/8 leaving you w/ an island in case you topdeck an unsummon, or a forest when you beat him to a bloody pulp w/ a GG.(wouldn't you be pissed if it was a big nuts!)

could also be a flowstone thopter, cast gg on him, then activate him 4 times.

[Edited by BigBlue on August 12th, 2000 at 04:58 AM]

I

Istanbul

Bigblue...someone already answered. The creature in question was a Morphling. And I stated in the riddle that it was the start of your turn, so you can't backtrack and retroactively sac the lands.
Flowstone Thopter, however, is an acceptable answer (and not one I had thought of).