A clue to Mirrodin development

N

Notepad

Located here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr86

Quoted part here:
Glissa Sunseeker (Mirrodin)
This card was a tough nut to crack. In the story, Glissa played into two different aspects of green that haven’t interacted all that often. So, it seemed obvious that I wanted to find a way to interweave the two abilities. I was having trouble until I decided to think outside the box a little. Who said…

Wait a minute, this is August and the previews for Mirrodin start in September. Which means that I… Oops. Please ignore the last two paragraphs. They don’t exist. Yeah I know you’re reading it right now. Figment of your imagination.
So what does this mean for Green in Mirrodin? What does it mean for one certain legend?

I'm gonna call it a big friggen: I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT'S GOING ON! here

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know either. I guess you'd have to figure out which two of green's abilities haven't interacted that much together... all I can really think of is minor card-drawing effects, like Sylvan Library/Mirri's Guile and maybe direct damage ala Unyaro's Bee Sting :)

T

train

Landwalk and trample...:p

Here's the green characters/characteristics from the color wheel...

King Kong – This one's pretty straight-forward. Big ape driven by instinctual needs.

Godzilla – Same basic idea as King Kong.

Tarzan – A man raised by apes. As Lord of the Jungle, Tarzan protects his domain with use of his animal friends.

Swamp Thing – A nature elemental, this supernatural creature protects the natural order. Oh yeah, and his body is comprised of plants.

Winnie the Pooh – For starters, he's a bear. And he's driven by his constant desire to fill his tummy.

Wolverine – A feral character with heightened senses that functions highly on instinct. He is known to often go into a berserker rage. He even has an animal name.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer – The “chosen one” imbued with special supernatural powers. Buffy is a hunter who prowls at night finding her prey. She has an animalistic side that constantly sways her from the strict rules set by the Council of the Watchers (a very white organization).

Maybe the clues are in there!...

N

Notepad

I'm hoping its something that at least has "All green creatures get +1/+1" :D

C

Captain Caveman

Speculation Fun...

Pure speculation, mine you....:D

Card Title: Glissa, Sunseeker
Color: Green
Type: Creature- Legend
Cost: 1GG
Pow/Tgh: 3/4
Card Text:
G: Trample
3: GLissa, Sunseeker gets a +1+1 for each Artifact in play.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well it has to be 2 things that can't combine very easily...

That's some interesting speculation there and it would probably strengthen green a lot.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by rkoelsch
They did that already -Kaysa
Which is exactly why they need another one. I mean, if you're gonna make a crusade, make it a creature. :D If its gonna be a legend...make more than one legend like that. ;)

Killer Joe

There's no way Wiz Co. is going to Oink around with the color-wheel. I mean they're just getting it right where they've been headed to; Balance.

Maybe it's Trample & Arifact Destruction? :p

C

Captain Caveman

I have no idea what the wording for Glissa, Sunseeker will be but
I hope the give us a few playable legends in this set.

Maybe Glissa is a Rofello's reprint.:eek:

T

train

If that's the case - they could've just reprinted Rofellos, and then made her have a stronger ability and elves could rule the world!...

"Time to break out that old Humility deck!..."

R

rkoelsch

I tell you what would be strong, Lure and Regeneration. That would make an awesome combo.

T

train

That might be too strong for an individual creature card...:eek:

Maybe they mean something like an equipment that is put onto the creature when it comes into play...

T

Troll

Maybe it could be something like the Basillisks (destroy creature dealt damage by ~this~) with pump. That'd be cool.

T

train

That would be cool... but not as strong as the lure/regeneration thing...

The basilisk idea seems to be something they haven't done in a while - it may be it...

Of course they haven't done poison counters in a while either...;)

E

EricBess

Actually, the Basilisk thing is in 8th. Deathgazer. And it's been moved to black, so it's not likely.

I think the lure/regeneration thing could be interesting. You'd have to be careful to give it a way around it, I would think too.

R

Rooser

People round here seem convinced that green needs help. Hey, I love green, but lately it's been a house. So long as Mirrodin green is on par with Odyssey green, it won't need any help. Holy crap was Odyssey block good for green, and Onslaught block wasn't too thin itself. Since Odyssey, let's name all the solid stuff Green's picked up.

Wild Mongrel
Basking Rootwalla
Spellbane Centaur
Genesis
Roar of the Wurm
Beast Attack
Call of the Herd
Elvish Warrior
Wirewood Hivemaster
Arrogant Wurm
Vitality Charm - (Only because an instant speed 1/1 for 1 is better than you'd think).
Overrun, (Yeah, I know, it was a reprint, but it's still very underrated).
Caller of the Claw, (HELLLOOOOO! I'd play an instant speed 2/2 for three mana even if it didn't give me bears. Though I would expect it to be common.)
Ravenous Baloth
Living Wish
Naturalize
Krosan Tusker
That Green Kamahl
Phantom Centaur
Erhnam Djinn
Treetop Scout
Squirrel Nest
Centaur Glade
Sprouting Vines

And there's more, not to mention that a lot of the second teir stuff isn't that bad at all.

Green has the tools to breakthrough control match-ups easy, you just have to know what you're doing. And as you might has guessed from my comments, instant speed creatures can steal tempo from your opponent. It's a highly underrated ability.

Opponent: I'll Wrath of God, seeing as how you got a bajillion critters out by turn 4.
Me: Okay, at the end of your turn I'll Beast Attack. Heh heh.

Not to mention green has some solid tools from older sets, though they were more sparse than they were in Odyssey and Onslaught.

Wall of Blossoms
Blastoderm
Yavimaya Elder
Spike Feeder
Rancor
Treetop Village
Jolrael's Centaur
Blurred Mongoose
Priest of Titania
etc.

And yes, what I'm about to say might offend some of you, but if you think green needs help, (In Extended and Type 2 anyway), you probably lack good deck designing capacity.

Ferret

Staff member
Interesting point you have there...quite a few of those cards below have found there way into my Green decks on MTGO...and Odysey wasn't the end of the "renaissance" of Green...however, I still think they should have some ways to deal w/ their weaknesses (defense against flyers - or, even flyers for themself!)

-Ferret

"And bring back Sylvan Library, darn it!"

R

Rooser

Hey, you can wish for a silklash spider can't you? Though wish surely won't be T2 legal for much longer.....

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Rooser
Hey, you can wish for a silklash spider can't you? Though wish surely won't be T2 legal for much longer.....
Yeah, I think they only have a few more days...and I say "Good riddance!" I've never been a big fan of Wishes or Tutors. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Magic is the random factor. It allows any deck to beat any other deck any day. If you take away that fact through Wishes, Tutors, and cards like Planar Portal it just comes down to who can draw them first...

-Ferret

"...and whoever can afford to buy them all..."