a challenge to those "dueling"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Reading the past two battles, as someone said it gets ridiculous with infinite combos and mana and multiple spells. I don't know if I have room to talk since I'm not playing/posting, but these kind of things would be more interesting (to me at least) if they were more structured.

So what I'm proposing is a kind of "highlander" match where only one land and one spell can be played (I guess a permanent Arcane Lab). If you decide to "team up" with someone you can use their lands. I'm not sure how to work out the combat phase; either give the opponent a chance to block or just do it for them like you guys have been doing (in essence giving yourself the best possible outcome). Of course, that means the defender can't play blocking instants but maybe that doesn't matter.

Anyway, something like this might help to cut down on "I play x amount of this, then cast this and then this and then blah, blah, blah). And I don't know how to determine a winner.... I guess when all card choices have been exhausted?

As I said, I don't even know if anyone's interested (kind of like a "Magic by mail" version, now that I look at it) but if anyone's willing to give it a shot, I'll play or try to keep track of what's been played and in what "zone" of play.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I've also been thinking about trying to make duels more strutured. The result is an online magic game.
Players could make 60-card decks and just play them. However, drawing os controlled by the player. What do ya think? :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, what I'm thinking is that you don't have a 60 card deck, you have 1 of each card ever made AND you will always top deck. So Tutors won't be necessary... hmm, I don't know about library manip stuff. Discard and stuff that affects your hand probably won't matter either unless you really want to keep track of it for Multani or something.

Hmm, the more I think about it, maybe it won't be that fun after all. But there's gotta be another way to cut down on "I cast this, and 4 of these, etc...".

Unless you really want to :)

D

Duel

As a resident expert (Hey, it's my name!) I feel required to support the utter chaos involved in these duels. If you wish to structure them, fine. But let the melee continue, please.

A

Apollo

Well, the chaos is great. Just casting spells and stuff isn't as much fun (for instance, Orgg can't fire fart-propelled treetrunks at opponent's) as a complete melee. However, it's no fun when people (this is you, Multani) say stuff like "well, Titania comes to help me and Barrin counters everyhing you cast and I smack you with my treetrunk while I summon 5,000 Elves and hordes of treefolk and while I'm at it the forest grabs you and slaughters you and you end up at the bottom of a 70 ft. hole." That's the main reason I'm done with these, which is too bad because it was a lot of fun at first.

Apollo

I

Istanbul

Apollo, don't drop out. What Spiderman is proposing sounds kind of fun...I'm in.

You can play a maximum of two colors. Each spell can be cast only once. You can cast two spells per turn (let's be fair). You have enough mana to cast what you want (except X spells can't be worth more than, let's say, 10). You can attack anyone, but if the guy you attack has creatures, you have to wait to see if he's gonna block you.

(Heck, I've been fighting this way for the most part. In the first battle, I played Energy Field, Ertai, some countermagic, and Boomerang. A couple more spells, I think, but not much.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apollo: Actually, I agree with you and Duel that the chaos was great when you guys were tossing around non-Magic related stuff. It's when it "degenerated" into actual Magic spells that it lost its appeal.

Istanbul: So what about artifacts? All can use? How does the battle/chaos come to an end? Does attacking really matter if no one has any "life points"?

Boy, hammering out a game sure looks harder than it seems :)

C

Cateran Overlord

Bah, keep the madness the way it is. It's funny as heck to read, and even more fun to participate. I may just join the second round if it stays chaotic. More evisceratin' fun! :D

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Apollo, I sense some hostility from you.
As I understand, you were the one that said bad blood is bad between memebers.
I have not purposely tried to alienate you.
Now, perhaps a treetrunk to your head would convince you to stop picking on me? :mad:

U

Ura

How about this, since I love to read these things.

1) No person can have more than 2 colors at his/her disposal plus artifacts.
2) Only 2 spells/actions a turn/post and no munchkinizing *grins evily* by doing 3 or 4 posts in a row. :D
3) There are no life totals or winners, the winner is the last person who isn't tired of posting.
4) Higlander rule, only have one copy of each spell if its magic based. Other cool stuff like theorggs tree missles are welcome to be used frequently as it inspires creativity. :)
5) If you get attacked you can block or use spells to defend yourself in a good amount of time, say 3 days, after that the attack is considered successful and your road kill since most attacks will be worth way more than 20 damage anyhow.
6) You can ally with other people but no playing multiple personalities (eg, barrin, urza, yawgmoth), anything you summon is for combat.
7) AD&D rule. Once a spell is used its gone for good and removed from the game. This way the highlander rule can actually be used properly.
8) No drawing, all spells are "in your hand"
9) For the most part you have infinite mana to keep things simple. However keep things like X spells resonable, say a max of 50.
10) Try to keep in mind what others have played like furnace of rath, the abyss, thieves auction, and play along with them, its fun. :D

thats it, now off to the battle field. ;)

A

Apollo

Okay, that sounds like it would work, I guess.

Multani, I don't want bad blood between members. I'm basically mad because you yelled at me when I critisized your advice over in the Casual Decks forum and because you were ruining the battle in my mind with the kinda stuff I mentioned in my last post.

Howsabout we forget about it, stick to these rules, and act like it never happened, capeesh?

Apollo

M

Multani

Tag Guard

You've got a deal Apollo.
500 Posts!!! Party! Party! Party!
And I barely realized it. :D

As Ura said: "Off to the Battle Field!"
:D

R

Riva Iron-Grip

dudes keep it how it is. it's like urza and mishra fighting. except more of us. it is fun as hell, and more fun with alliances and unlimited cards and colors. sorry dude, but your idea sounds lame.

L

lilpinhead

personally, I just plain love to read these things, with or without rules it doesnt matter to me since I dont participate, either way just keep doing these battles cause man, some pretty interesting and funny stuff happens.

C

Cateran Overlord

I actually agree with Death Knight (despite my trying to kill him), keep the madness. Perhaps we should just drop the casting of actual spells for the most part. That would be fine. As everyone said, it's fun as heck to read these things, so keep it mainly to silly nonspells (i.e. my Scythe, Multani's Treetrunk and so on) like the orginal ones were.

Or we could keep doing this. Ah the heck with it, just do whatever you want, this is the Battle Arena!

[picks up Scythe and charges at Death Knight for still not paying me for my MERCENARIES. We don't work for free unless I say so :mad: ]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I realize that what I suggested would not be everyone's cup of tea but...

For Ura and Apollo and anyone else who may be interested, I like Ura's suggestions/modifications to the rules and would be willing to give it a go. We can always refine it on the way. I especially like the permanent Planar Void and Highlander (how soon can we go through all of the cards?).

H

Hawaiian mage

I have an idea that might work. Coincidentally, I co-own a website that has a Battle page similer to this,except it's actually made into a competition. There are structured rules and limited sorces of power. You get to create a character to your likeing, and winning battles makes your character stronger. Check it out, http://www.magicrpg1.homestead.com/, you shouldn't be dissapointed.

So for those of you that want an orgnized battle can go to the other site, and those of you that want chaos or jut to watch can stay here. Now everyones happy.

C

Cateran Overlord

Very cool site man, I may have to join up there.

As for these boards though, I'll keep it chaotic thank you ;)