9th Edition Prereleases

O

orgg

I attended in official capacity. The only good story is $2 8e packs, and getting tipped a whole pizza in cupon form.

The bad story? the enchantment that adds an additional GG is badly worded-- it confused many people. Jade Statue really confuses those who arn't too good with 6th edition rules, as well. As they read it, it can't attack, since they don't know about the 'beginning of combat' portion of the combat step.

(as the storeowner is a bit cheap, he doesn't pay his staff. I set up a tip jar and a tip box for items. Usually, people throw garbage and commons into it, w/ the occasional mediocre rare. This time, new people showed up, and I actually recieved some decent pay for once!)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Jade Statue is in? :eek:

I paid WAY too much a few years ago for mine then...:(

Killer Joe

Overgrowth - 2G
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Land
Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, it's controller adds GG to his or her mana pool.

So, when you tap the enchanted land, let's say it's an Island, for blue mana you end up getting UGG added to your mana pool, right?

E

evan d

Although it sounds like a replacement effect, if it were, it would end with: "...Instead of the normally produced mana" or something to that effect.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah, we all know that (the ones that have been playing for a while), but I can see how it'd be confusing to beginners (which is what the Core Set is geared towards).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't see how anyone could confuse Overgrowth with doing anything other than what it does...

O

orgg

It doesn't say in addition to, so everyone was confused by it who wern't familiar with the old one.

Yes, Overgrowth is the 'MHC' for the set from a judge's prospective-- Most Hated Card. (though Jade Statue was confusing for the one guy who got it)

N

Notepad

Yeah, if thise is supposed to be the "training wheels" set, then Orgg's right, they badly needed to have "in addition to" in there.

The set is cool in giving us oldtimers something to salivate over for once. I'm after Caretakers and Hippies myself! However, these things are not too good for introductory players.

What they really need, like actually--A RULEBOOK! Sheesh, not the comp rules, just something to bridge the gap between Core Came and Core Set. That is one mighty leap there. One you can fit like two hundred Orggs into.

(Kidding, Orgg, kidding!)

O

orgg

Two hundred Orggs are about two and a quarter inches if Fifth, and slightly under two inches if Fallen Empires.

That's about the right sized gap.