99 Ranch [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I always try to build some sort of deck corresponding with major set releases. For Murders at Karlov Manor, I was immediately drawn to The Pride of Hull Clade. Since the commander is so unusual and since the ability offers so many options, I went for something that I believed would really stand out. Every creature in my maindeck is a wall. I'm even running the mighty Wall of Ice. The plan is get a couple of walls in order to afford The Pride of Hull Clade, then give evasion to either a wall or to my commander itself (or both), and activate the commander to enable attacks. This should draw me tons of cards, which I can use to take over the game.

Commander:
1 The Pride of Hull Clade

1 Access Tunnel
1 Aether Tunnel
1 Alchemist's Refuge
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Aqueous Form
1 Arcane Denial
1 Artful Dodge
1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Beast Within
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Brainstorm
1 Breeding Pool
1 Burgeoning
1 Capture of Jingzhou
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Cloak of Invisibility
1 Counterspell
1 Crashing Drawbridge
1 Crenellated Wall
1 Crop Rotation
1 Cryptic Coat
1 Crystal Vein
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Earthcraft
1 Echo of Eons
1 Entish Restoration
1 Evacuation
1 Expropriate
1 Flooded Strand
1 Force of Will
7 Forest
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Glacial Wall
1 Harrow
1 Illusionary Wall
1 Invisibility
7 Island
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
1 Jungle Barrier
1 Mana Drain
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mnemonic Wall
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Necropolis
1 Opposition
1 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Overgrown Battlement
1 Polluted Delta
1 Portcullis Vine
1 Regrowth
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Roiling Regrowth
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Seasons Past
1 Shield Sphere
1 Shifting Wall
1 Sol Ring
1 Suspicious Bookcase
1 Swan Song
1 Tawnos's Wand
1 Temporal Manipulation
1 Thought Vessel
1 Time Spiral
1 Time Warp
1 Training Grounds
1 Treefolk Umbra
1 Tropical Island
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Vine Trellis
1 Void Snare
1 Wall of Air
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Wall of Ice
1 Wall of Junk
1 Wall of Mist
1 Wall of Mulch
1 Wall of Roots
1 Wall of Shields
1 Wall of Stolen Identity
1 Wall of Wood
1 Weathered Sentinels
1 Windfall
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Worldly Tutor

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've only gotten one game in with this deck so far, but it did what it was meant to do. Initially, I had no creatures. Topdecking Wall of Junk saved me, and soon Invisibility on The Pride of Hull Clade set me up to draw tons of cards. Earthcraft was super helpful here too. My opponents tried to thwart me, but I drew enough cards to start looping multiple extra turns spells. An unmitigated success. Beginner's luck, perhaps. We'll see how this deck performs in future games.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Won another game with this deck. Started out without access to blue mana, so that was a risk. Weathered Sentinels kept me protected and bought a little time, then Entish Restoration solved my problem. Cryptic Coat happened to hit a topdeck Shield Sphere, which gave me access to The Pride of Hull Clade. Drew a bunch of cards off my unblockable Shield Sphere, but didn't do anything else impressive. The rest of the table was actually more immediately threatening than I was, so I didn't take the brunt of anyone's aggression. But I did eventually lose some of my permanents. The whole time, I was trying to draw into lands so that Burgeoning would ramp me into taking over the game. What ultimately did it was a weird confluence of circumstances. I had Reliquary Tower, so my hand grew bigger after a couple of Shield Sphere attacks. Then Blasphemous Act wiped most creatures, but The Pride of Hull Clade tanked it. Also Windfall from one of my opponents gave me a fresh hand. Sure, everyone else drew just as many cards, but my deck was kind of built to work with this, so when the turn passed around to me, I was able to start recurring Time Warp. My library was small enough by this point that I was able to cast Jace and Windfall, decking myself for the win (because of Jace's static ability).

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The game was effectively archenemy against a K'rikk deck. We killed the K'rikk player with a group effort, then I started looping extra turn spells for the win. Ain't I a stinker?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was still playing against opponents who were wary of both infinite combos and "long turns." Didn't have a ton of options, but I'd seen one of them play an Arcades, the Strategist deck, so I was inspired to play my own walls. The Pride of Hull Clade landed one attack against an opponent with no blockers, which was enough for me to set up another attack on the next turn, this time with Artful Dodge. Getting more cheap walls meant that Overgrown Battlement gave me plenty of mana. I also managed to deploy both Burgeoning and Earthcraft, which meant even more mana over the next couple of turns. Totally took over the game, and started casting multiple extra turn spells. With Treefolk Umbra on my commander, I was preparing to start one-shot attacks to finish off each opponent in succession. They all conceded.

As much as it brings joy to my heart to see cards like Wall of Ice hit the table, this deck has got to retire. It's still undefeated, and I think that the commander's ability and the package of support spells both do far more than compensate for the weakness of my creatures themselves.