( )

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Has anyone heard the recent album by Sigur Rós?
It's called ( ) .
I'd give you more information, but there aren't liner notes, a real album cover or title, or track titles: ALL of the words on the CD and its packaging are either legal text or "Sigur Rós" twice.
The band is from Iceland, but on this album the singer sings in "hopelandic," which consists of six syllables and means nothing.

With all that in mind it's pretty good. :D:cool: :)

S

Svenmonkey

I heard a review of that on the local NPR station. They described the band members as being small and elf-like. That made me chuckle.

T

Turtlewax Joe

HAHAHA small and elf like, just like...

woops. I'll stop there :) what kind of music do they do?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

It's sort of like Pink Floyd in the days after Barrett left and before Meddle, although it does sound a lot like Echoes.
Except the vocals are more about singing than they are lyrics. The six syllable thing sounds weird but since the singer doesn't pronounce much of anything anyway it's basically chanting.

Turn Pink Floyd's Echoes from a 23 minute song into a 70 minute album without the lyrics and you basically have it. :)
The effect is, when you stretch this out so long, you feel as though someone is talking to you without anyone or anything else there. Describing Sigur Rós's members as elves is pretty accurate, I heard someone on another site describe this as elvish music. It's great.

Just listen to it after you've finished a paper at 1 am. The pieces that take 13 minutes and go from quiet contemplation of something or other to crescendoes of emotion (there's nothing else left) and back again won't seem so boring then.

(I hope this was amusing to read. :D)

T

terzarima

My friend is nuts about it. Got it when it first came out.

I admit, I like Hjartad Hamast (and recommend it), and some others, but I haven't heard ( ). I thought it was )( for the longest time. Confused me to hell.

Apparently they have a song about elves and play on guitars with bows in some songs.

Hopelandic isn't a language, but apparently they try to use the sounds to convey meaning, or so my friend says. I think they use it on almost every CD, but I could be wrong. I don't know what you mean by six syllables though.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

No, of course it's not )(. What were you thinking? ;)
But seriously, how many albums are there whose names you can confuse with the entire name turned around? :p

I guess what I read about the six syllables was an interpretation.
Now that I think about it, yeah, it isn't just six syllables.
Oh well, it's still good. :)

So what is other Sigur Rós like?