7th Edition is a Marketing Ploy

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
N

Necrosavant

If anyone wants to get booster boxes cheap, got to newwavegames.com...only 70 dollars, and shipping over 100 dollars is free. <I usuall y get booster boxes from anycraze but they want 73 a box :p> Anyway...
So far it looks good. After class today I stopped at the mall and bought three boosters, to tide me over. The art was good, and the flavor text has greatly improved <imo>.
I can't wait to get more.
And in the first pack I opened a foil Ghitu Fire Eater, and in the second, a Purify.
Actually, lookin in my binder, I don't like the Fire Elemental art, compered to sixth. But Soul Net and Sky Diamond are improved <just shooting of whats in my binder, don't mind my randomness ;)>
Can't wait for my booster boxes to get here.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Cateran Emperor
[BI'm remarkably pleased with the art in general with this set. This has the best Dienchant art ever, Ostracize is better (although that didn't take much work), Counterspell is good, Llanowar Elves are good, heck, even Merfolk of the Pearl Trident are looking good! [/B]
Really? I don't have the Llanowar Elves or MotPT yet, but while I like the art on Counterspell, I think the art on Disenchant is kinda weak.

G

Gizmo

There is a catalogue of all the 7th Art on the WotC site, along with a little 'advice' on how to play each card:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/advanced/7e/catalog/catalog.htm
The advice is aboutr as useful as you would expect, here`s Creeping Mold:
"Creeping Mold is a great way for a green deck to deal with troublesome artifacts and enchantments. Even if your opponent doesn't have any artifacts or enchantments, you can use Creeping Mold to get rid of one of your opponent's lands."
Wow, so it seems as though I can use Creeping Mold to kill artifacts, enchantments and lands. Strategy advice of the highest calibre there!

IMHO the art is pretty much the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck. Apart from Wrath Of God (hmm, gorgeous -very 'Akira'), Boil, and possibly the Birds Of Paradise (I`m not overly keen on the original Birds artwork).

Disenchant is ok, but needs a black border, a lot of other cards just look like they were given to a 14 year old with a box of Crayola! Arcane Lab anybody? Persecute and Duress? Pillage?

It`s all very reminiscent of the horrid Portal artworks.

D

DÛke

...I don't think 7th is more than it is.

Why?

Like Gizmo mentioned, is it the new artwork...or what? Is it the replenishment of cards like Serra angel? They're just trying to give the people what they want...surely they did (to an extent anyway).

I didn't buy a single 6th edition card, booster...whatever.

If I still play, I would gladly purchase 7th. Yes, the art is great, yes there are great cards, and yes, it will make Wizards money, just like Invasion, Planeshift, Prophecy, Nemesis, Mercadian Masques...should I go on? :)

H

HumanError

I'm sorry, while the new Counterspell artwork is nifty, it doesn't look like a Counterspell, and I get the impression that it was originally commissioned for Meditate or something like that, which then got cut. It wouldn't be unheard of.

They should've been choosy like they were with 5th Edition. Persecute and Counterspell were fine - hell, they had a lot of Counterspell artworks to choose from and this new one just doesn't fit. Personally, I think they should've used the Arena artwork for Disenchant and Counterspell myself. ;)

Still hate 'em for what they did to black, though.

H

Hetemti

While 7th COunterspell sucks, along with a bunch of other pics, 5th was the worst overall. All the new pics commisioned for 5th sucked. Only the carryovers were good. As for 7th, some of the pics look snazzy, like Underground River, the Kirshneresque Tremor, and granite grip (only cuz it looks like my friend's brother in ten years. :D) the new pic crappyness syndrome really kicked in.

Some of the picks are lame (counterspell, disenchant), don't seem to have anything to do with the spell, or are just plain stupid...like how the Llanowar Elves look like they're desparate to find a bush to crap behind.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by DÛke
...I don't think 7th is more than it is.
I agree wholeheartedly with what Duke says. I don't think 7th is more than it is.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Hetemti

Some of the picks are lame (counterspell, disenchant), don't seem to have anything to do with the spell, or are just plain stupid...like how the Llanowar Elves look like they're desparate to find a bush to crap behind.
Heh! I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the grimace on the face of the Llanowar Elves. (Finally got some in a pack.) But look carefully at Counterspell, folks.

All those energy lines coming in towards this guy, and he just sits there...none of them hit him. He's not being blasted to kingdom come by the incoming energies. That's 'no' if I've ever seen it.

Z

Zadok001

I never interpretted squiggly lines as something one needed to say "no" to in the first place! Had those been fireballs or lightning bolts or even obviously antagonistic energy, I'd say it made sense. But as-is, I can't tell whether that guy is the one countering or being countered!

D

DÛke

...it really looks like "Meditation" to me.

Hey, it could be a Counterspell. Those "lines" could pack some destructive material! Who knows...;)

...though, I've always looked at Counterspell to be a card that represents Blue as a whole. I would like to, at least, have THAT card to look like what it does.

I guess I would just stick with ancient Counterspells, rather than the new, "Meditating Counter"...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gizmo: This is kinda late and from the other page, but about the original BoP art, ya gotta remember it was originally for Tropical Island. I don't know if you can find what the BoP's original original art was supposed to be...