70,000 people shoot themselves

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Messed up as that is, the detail I couldn't stop thinking about was that she shot herself in the torso. Do people do that? Everyone I've ever heard of that died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound was hit in the head (usually on purpose).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So anyone with a foreclosure notice from Fannie Mae can keep their house and have the loan wiped out by shooting themselves ans surviving........
This sickens me.... that this person has no one to turn to.... where the heck is her family? Then the PR morons at Fannie Mae would just give away money...... where the heck is my hand out? Where is my $57,000 check for being bad with finances..... What, I'm not irresponsible enough to warrant a hand out?
That'll teach me to be responsible and live within my means.....

S

sageridder

Ok so she's 90 now and took out a 30 year mortgage in 2004, I don't think anyone thought she was going to make it to 2034. And how much you wanna bet the property reverts to the bank on her death.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
sageridder said:
Ok so she's 90 now and took out a 30 year mortgage in 2004, I don't think anyone thought she was going to make it to 2034.
This reminded me of Jean Calment...

Wikipedia said:
In 1965, aged 90, with no living heirs, Jeanne Calment signed a deal to sell her former apartment to lawyer Andrei-François Raffray, on a contingency contract. Raffray, then aged 47, agreed to pay her a monthly sum of 2,500 francs until she died, an agreement sometimes called a "reverse mortgage". Raffray ended up paying Calment more than the equivalent of $180,000, which was more than double the apartment's value. His widow was still paying Calment until she died, after Raffray had died of cancer at the age of 77.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that last is sooo incomplete. Why does it switch between francs and dollars? How much was 2,500 francs back then? When did she die/how old was she (how long did the payments last?) I mean, she lived to be at least 120?

D

DarthFerret

Yeah, I tried to do the math myself too, and if he started at 47 and died at 77 then that was 30 years, and that makes the widow woman 120 plus. Maybe I am missin something, but I did not think that anyone had ever gotten that old...close maybe, but not to the 120 mark?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think some people have, but that usually means they're news in itself. Maybe I'll Google the name later on...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was only quoting the part that it reminded me about. Here's the whole article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

And yeah, she might have been the only person to ever live 120 years or more (she died at 122 years) depending on whether the claim of Shigechiyo Izumi is accurate. So at most, two people have been recorded to live past 120 (and only one other person past 118, for that matter). That makes it pretty rare, huh?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow.

So how much was 2,500 francs back then? I'm guessing around $500, if the $180,000 was a figure from back then and not adjusted for inflation....