666 edition vs lucky #7

B

Baron Sengir

Okay, the title of this probably reveals a little bias on my own part but I'm curious as to what the rest of ya think.

Which set is better: Sixth or Seventh?

Personally, I think Seventh is a MAJOR improvement over the piece of $h!t expansion Sixth was. I don't know the exact cards yet (I keep hoping Wall of Blossoms and Diabolic Edict are included) but the cards that keep consistantly showing up make this a MUCH better set.

What do you think?

I remain
The Baron
"Although I do miss my hammer ..."

H

Hetemti

(Hoping for Wall of Blossoms...alreay got Edicts...incl. one in Korean. w00t)

6th sucked like a Hoover. Okay, so at first I racked up two Birds, a Vampiric Tutor, and some other "Good Stuff," like Polymorph and Necrosavant. I still can't forgive 6th for the Jade Statue, the Bottles of Sulieman, and Ancestrial Memories.

7th has better rares. The art is questionable...but it's better in the rares department. ...or is it?

Black had VampT, Necrosavant, and Nightmare as it's Good rares. It still has the power pony, but not...much...else. Persecute will be cute since a slower environment with gold cards means though you won't snag as much as you would in a mono-color field, Urza Block games were over before you hit 4 mana, you still can pull that ~insert bomb here~ and it's friends.

White had two. God and Geddeon. Now it has God and Serra. Okie dokie. Bleach was in there, but it's not good enough, even in multicolored madness. We won't miss it.

Green. It seems they replaced 6th rares with ones for 7th, then put 6th's back in.
Ancient Silverback, Birds of Paradise, Blanchwood Armor
Creeping Mold, Elvish Piper, Gang of Elk, Hurricane (Be uncommon, damn it!)
Might of Oaks, Thorn Elemental, Wing Snare, Yavimaya Enchantress

I think I'll put 24 Forests in a pile and stack the green cards from my boosters on top, then shuffle and go. :p If only they'd printed Force and Overrun... (J-MEE)

Blue gets hammered. Ancestral Memories is still trying to pretend it's Ancestrial Recall. Eat me. Archivist might see some play. Mahamoti Djinn might see play...though he can't tackle a Dragon Legend. Mana Short might work...still a little weak. Temporal Adept is not a Tradewind Rider, but we'll have to make do. Polymorph should have been kept in with all the Motis and Portal Fatboies. Instead they keep Daring Apprentice. Eat me.

Red's still screwed. They took out Hammer and Baulduvan Barbarians and gave us Trained Orgg and Volcanic hammer(Portal Incinerate minus playabiliy. Note it's "hammer," not "Hammer." Bit difference). Sure, Shiv's a beauty, but what's to back her up? Throw us a bone, R&D, or at least a Goblin Ballon Brigade! Can't red have a flyer under 5/5@6 that can block? Quick! Call in the Bird Maidens!

Overall, there are different rares, and slightly better rares, but there is no real gain in goodness of the set. Generally, you'll pull a Fodder Cannon and wish you could load it with the other fourteen cards from the booster.

Remember: You're just as likey to pull a Bird from 6th as you are from 7th.

F

FoundationOfRancor

6th wasnt that bad...it had the right ideas, but Wizards was gun-shy of UrzaBlock, and they didnt want to be stuck with "broken" cards for 2 years. Now that they know the footing, I see that there willing to bend the rules a little (Serra and such). The changes from 6th to 7th are not because of broken cards (Except maybe Geddon) but simply because it will shake up the enviroment.

The long lasting problems with editions is that everyone already has the cards! With 7th, its different. Thats why its good.

Oh, and also 7th has better cards.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

well, 7th does seem to be doing a bit better, but like Hetemti said, well typed, black gets majorly screwed, 'cept maybe for persecute and megrim:), but not a whole lot after that, white is a powerhouse now, so is green, but as a blue player i am very frustrated at what they have done to this once proud color:(

G

Gizmo

I think I`d rather wait to see what`s in 7th before I comment, as opposed to talking about a possibly entirely fictional list that somebody could have cooked up in five spare minutes.

But if the 7th list is right, it also sucks.

P

Purple_jester

7th ed, given the current popular card list, sucks supremely. Some remotely playable cards, a few of them sterling, but mostly garbage. The sideboard hosers have really taken a drop (ex. no Perish), and key elements are missing.

The only thing that makes it better than 6th is the inclusion of black-bordered foils. Here's hoping that the list is wrong. :(