5th Dawn Prerelease

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I as always will be attending the prerelease in Maryland, however my hetero life mate J can't come this time, but i'll probably pick up some other people to take along. Mainly hoping to crack open a plunge into darkness, and some devour in shadows.

N

Nightstalkers

Meh, I'm a constructed player, so I'll prolly just buy the packs at a store after the release whenever I get some time off...

Bah, gas is costing me a whole $1.30 now!!!

M

Mr_Pestilence

I'll be in Atlanta - not too excited about the set though. Maybe I can get lucky and score a foil Furnace Whelp. If anybody gets one, contact me for a great deal!

I

Istanbul

I will not be breaking my flawless record of never having been able to attend a pre-release for some reason or another. This time due to lack of finances.

Sigh.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

don't feel bad Istanbul, Thats like me an Otakon, I've always had something come up so that I've never been able to go...so I don't even bother trying to go.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Istanbul
I will not be breaking my flawless record of never having been able to attend a pre-release for some reason or another. This time due to lack of finances.

Sigh.
And I will also not be breaking tradition--the tradition of wiping my butt with the new cards because they could actually use the treatment to improve their value. (Ah, the fond memories of Chimney Imp).

Wait, never had that tradition. Nevermind. Should I go Mad Dog style and just smoke a card or two? The really bad ones?

M

Mr_Pestilence

Nah, if you must smoke, get the real cancer sticks. Magic packs retail around $3.69, cigs are around $4.00, but you get 20 hits as opposed to 15. Plus, burning foils really stink (just don't ask).

Anyway, I did go the Atlanta pre-release, but apparently a lot of people had other obligations. Compared to previous PRs, this one was lightly attended, and enthusiasm was much less. There are usually people scrambling around trying to get 4 of x, but I saw hardly any of that. People did actually want lots of the rule-breaking rat, but I expect to fade out pretty soon. Oh yes, there was some interest in getting multiple copies of the Helm of Kaldra PR card, but that's not unusual.

As for me, I did get the foil Furnace Whelp I wanted, and pick up on some great deals on cards for my foil Dragon deck.

I went 2-1, picked up 4 packs, keeping the streak alive of getting some kinda prize at PRs.

1st impressions of playing w/ 5D are pretty much what they were from reading the spoiler - these cards are lame. Most people were relying on proven commodities such as Spikeshot Goblin + various Equipment. The Bringers are the most interesting cards in the set, IMO, but they are so expensive I don't see them making much impact.

When's the next set due out?

R

rkoelsch

Well I attended the prerelease and there didn't appear a lack of enthusiam in Detroit. Was the typical too large crowd for such a small building. I entered 2 flights on Saturday went 0-2 drop and 1-2 drop. Managed to take some nice piles of cards and make mediocre builds. I also managed to lose to Door to Nothingness one game.

Some friends talked me into going back the next day and what a difference a day makes. I took 8th place in a flight netting 6 packs. I was on some kind of high because I signed up for a draft that cost $18 for a 9-3 split, way too much. But I drafted a red white speed deck that beat up people with 3 Skyhunter Skirmishers(WW1 for flying 1/1 double striker) of course equiped with Cranial Plate so they would usually served for 8 points of damage a turn. That deck which I rare drafted 5 rares including a foil Acquire and 18 uncommons netted me 9 more packs. Not a bad day at all.

So let me tell you one of the most repeated stories. Player got the Black Bringer on board(Vampiric Tutor every unkeep) go gets
the Blue Beacon(Time Walk and shuffle back in) Needless to say his opponent never gets another turn.

Cards I liked
the baubles especially the wayfarer and conjurer baubles

the hats the black one Cranial Plating is clearly the best, the white one Healers Headress clearly the worse:mad:

Grafted Wargear is very good in sealed and draft.

Skyhunter Skirmishers and Prowlers both very good.

Vedalken Mastermind can be fun especially with cards like Viridian Shaman and the sunburst cards like Infused Arrows

Vulshok Sorcerer- not as good as the Spikeshot but prettier

Cards that I heard about but don't have first hand knowledge

The new Masticore 5/5 first strike for 5 is good they say.

Eternal Witness the regrowth on a stick

Well I know I had fun both days though Sunday was definitely better. Also anyone that wants to trade their Auriok Champions let me know(1 so far :( )

Killer Joe

Isn't the next set with an oriental theme?

5DPR in Butler, PA - Quick breakdown:
Flight 1
6-4 games
3-2 Matches
Placement: 13th :(

Flight 8
3-6-1 games
1-2-1 matches
Placement: didn't care, I dropped.

Total Record:
9-10-1 games
4-4-1 Matches

At $18 a draft, I didn't draft.

Best rare card I got: None.

Both times I registered goodness (Razormane Masticore, Chrome Mox, The Red Beacon et al), both time I recieved Crapoloa (and not even on a stick).

OVERALL opinion of the set?
eh.
I'll probably buy a box though.

N

Notepad

The whole next block is set to have a Far East flavor, specifically Japanese. Kamigawa block.

And uh, Cowabunga (sp???) is Hawaiian, I thought...either that or dirty rotten sewer turtle.

D

DeathMaster666

Door had a kill at mine too. I went 3-1 and 3-1, netting a total of 14 packs. I got a total of 3 Crucible of Worlds (trading to a firend) from those packs and my deck stuff. I also got a Red bringer and a Black and Red beacon, and bought a Joiner Adept for $5.