5 Colour Star

S

Sidar Jabari

I'm gonna be organising a few games of 5 colour star at the weekend, but I can't decide whether to have mono-coloured decks without hosers, proc creatures, or landwalk (I know, no-ones gonna make a landwalk deck, but it does stop river boa which makes for some variety)

or

Two colour allied decks

WU
GW UB

RG RB

or

Any deck you want.

Which, in your opinions, is the funnest?

S

Sammy Dead-O

Two-color allied decks with color hosers, pro-color creatures, and landwalk.

Actually, I'm confused, too. What is 5 Colour Star? I thought you meant 5 Color (Colour) at first, but I guess not.

Oh, wait! Maybe I figured it out! Five people play (hence, a star), each with a certain color or pair allied colors. OK, fun.

I think landwalk and hosers would be fun to include, since pretty much every color has something to hurt it. Pro-color creatures will probably be good, too. You may want to ban Circles and Runes of Protection, however, since the white player will be guaranteed to face every color, and it would pretty much be up to the green player to get rid of it once it's down. I wouldn't ban all protection from color, though, since that's a large part of white's strength in the game.

Now that I think about it, I think the allied colors with all of those things included (barring maybe the COPs/ROPs) might be the most fun way to go.

Let us know how it goes, please.

G

Gerode

Just a littl more on star: The people to your left and right are your allies, and the players across from you are your enemies. The first player with both of their enemies dead wins. It creates some very interesting diplomacy in the late game, where you go against your allie to keep him from winning...

My group doesn't like the format, but I love it personally. I've never played it with any color coordination.

Maybe you can play 3-color decks, and use the new Elder Dragon Legends.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i've played this before, but like gerode without any color coordination, so that sounds pretty fun actually

S

Sidar Jabari

In the end we played mono colour decks without proc creatures, landwalk or hosers. I played blue making my allies white and black and my evil enemies read and green.

A little planning beforehand gave me a nice creature sweeper deck while my allies had regenerators and en-kors so they survived the damage whilst red and green did not!

Let me explain how I did it. :)

Floodgate 3U (Mirage)
0/5 Wall
If floodgate gains flying bury it
If floodgate is removed from play it deals 1 damage to each non-blue non-flying creature for every two islands you control.

Vodalian Illusionist 2U (Weatherlight)
2/2
UU, Tap: Target creature phases out.

Kind of archaic cards I know, but they gave me an eccellent reset button and some aditional control. (Whats that? Your flyer survived? I guess I'll have to phase it out every turn for ever!)

The rest of the deck had Capsise, Whispers, some counters (Counterspell, Forbid, Foil) and Seahunter.

I won once, red one once with some kind of Kyren Negotiations deck (Actually quite good in multiplayer - stop laughing!). And black picked up the rest of the wins by sitting around behind fogs of gnats and skeletons doing nothing then going Corrupt, Corrupt, Soul Feast, Soul Feast win etc..

Much fun was had by all and I suggest it to everyone. Next week we play two colour decks with the colour hoser restriction dropped. I'm going to be playing green white. Perhaps I'll bring out my old Thicket Basilisk/Lure/Jangling Automoton deck. With Armadillo Cloaks! Isn't multiplayer great!

S

Sammy Dead-O

...for letting us know about it. It sounds like a great way to play; hafta try it soon...