3D Graph Accl's...

A

Almindhra

For Christmas I recieved 'American McGree's Alice', and I realized, I don't have a 3D card for it...So I'm on the hunt for one and I was just wondering if any of you have suggestions for some good ones out there...

Thanks!

H

Hetemti

I've got a VooDoo3 2000, because I'm cheap. But it gets the job done. Since nVidia, the rival company, bought and liquidated most of the company, the 3DFx/Voodoo line will either vanish at bargain brand prices, ar be assimilated into nVidia's new cards, hopfully becoming the best of both worlds...or the worst of both...hmm.....

If you don't want/need state-of-the-art, just get a Voodoo3 3000 or better. I allmost got a Voodoo5, but heard that a few games aren't compatible. If you want more information, try the Planet Unreal forums at:
http://forums.planetunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3
...and do a search or just post a question about video cards. The board's for the FPS game Unreal Tournament, and they often discuss the strenghs and weaknessess of various 3D cards.

(Yes, I be pimpin' the other board I'm on...:p)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I'm stuck with a Banshee here, which is basically a Voodoo 2, with only one processor (or whatever they're called). Clock speed is upped, but performance is way down in FPSs (since you have to go through twice - once for the polygons, once for the textures). It's old, and I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

IMHO, I'd go for a GeForce 2, but they're relatively expensive. Pretty close to top of the line though.

N

nodnarb24

I would go with the Geforce 2 ($200-$300) but that will probably require a whole system upgrade. At the moment I have an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 128($100-$200). It is very cool. It has decent graphics and it comes with a cable in which you can hook any form of video to your computer, ie camcorder, TV, video game consule, etc.

[Edited by nodnarb24 on 12-27-00 at 03:06 PM]