3 Color Control?

C

Captain Caveman

Are three color control decks possible in Type II?

Below is the one I've been thinking about. I'm probably using a lot of bad cards, so if you have any suggestions
to make it better please share your thoughts.

3 Color Control[based off deck idea from sideboard]

7 Islands
3 Adarkar Wastes
3 Dromar's Cavern
3 Underground River
2 Salt Marsh
2 Coastal Tower
2 Plains
2 Swamp

4 Counterspell
4 Fact of Fiction
4 Accumulated Knowledge
1 Foil
1 Recall

3 Wrath of God
1 Blinding Angel
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Dismantling Blow

3 Vampiric Tutor
1 Cremate
1 Nether Spirit
1 Tsabo's Decree

1 Tsabo's Web

4 Absorb
4 Dromar's Charm
1 Teferi's Moat

T

terzarima

Dude, this is so much like the deck I played in the Junior super series, so its been well playtested!! And when did they post this in sideboard? They took my idea those bastards!!!

Can we talk about land for a second? I see a ton o' non-basic land, and to be frank (but I'm not Frank, just remember) , non-basic lands are not the best in a Type II tourny. Most fires decks run dustbowl, some rebel decks run dustbowl, and since most of you land is non-basic, they'd have you screwed up!

I've found one of the best cards to play with in a deck like this is Daze, even if you only get one island out first turn, you can counter BOP and anyother first turn creatures they get. And later on in the game, when they tap all their land for that massive dragon, ooops!! You've been screwed because you didn't leave a land untapped, too bad for you!

Dromar's charm is a good card, but I didn't play with it in my deck that day.

Vampiric Tutor. While this is a good card, I don't beleive you have much to search for in this deck, if you do want to keep these in, put in only one or two.

Some other ideas for you. Instead of black creatures, get some creature control. Snuff out and seal of doom are good cards, expecially since most people are running a rebel deck (But be careful, before the lin Sivvi's die they can seach for another lin sivvi!!!) I also maindecked Tsabo's decree in the hope I would find an opponent who played only one kind of creature, and guess who did? The rebel people. By the time you get this card, the rebels have already gotten out about 8 creatures or more, and if you ever decide to use it, they''ll most likely use paralax wave to "wave" their creatures out. Good card, for multiplayer or sideboard.

Use Split cards, two in one, my favorite is Spite/Malice, your other opinion is Stand/Deliver, but I wouldn't use it.

Another thing that's funny, Avatar of Hope saved my butt many a time, trust me, no matter what other people say, its a pretty darn good card, a third turn hunted wumpus, and BAM!!! Avatar of hope out, hehe stupid guy, oh well.

G

Gizmo

Whenever you go about adding another layer to an existing deck, you really have to ask yourself why you are going into that extra colour, and is it a justified gain over what you are losing in terms of consistency and cards from the colours you are playing already.

For instance, if we assume that this is a modification of an existing UW CounterWrath archetype, we have to ask what we are getting from black that makes it worthwhile.
Blue has denial covered in it`s bank of counterspell, although Dromar`s Charm, Spite/Malice, and Undermine are good cards they do essentially the same job as Foils and Power Sinks, so it is not necessary to go into black for countermagic, although Dromar`s Charm is admittedly versatile.
When it comes to removal the CounterWrath gets very strong cards from White, such as Wrath, Dismantling Blow, and Blinding Angel. The weakness of this removal is that it is all expensive to cast, so possibly there would be an argument for including cheaper removal spells from black. The ideal options would be Vendetta or Terror, probably adn yet there are options in the exsiting colors, such as Last Breath (very effective vs Rebels) and Seal Of Removal (very effective vs Fires), so you need to decide if the gains of removal that is probably slightly better than the existing U amd W removal options outweigh all the extra mana screw and Painland damage you will take, not to mention how the use of all those tap lands and Lairs will mess up your mana development. It`s easy to see a situation where the mana base you have got there will not give you UU mana until the third turn.
The third ingredient is card drawing, and here all the best options are blue already.
The fourth and final factor is the kill card. The dominant choice here would be that you go into black for Nether Spirits, although if you do that you will probably have to lose the powerful Blinding Angels or Magetas.

So, all in all, does the control archetype gain anything by switching to a 3c deck? It potentially gains stronger point removal, from cards like Spite/Malice and Vendetta - the trade off, unfortunately, is unkind as it is likely that producing the mana to run the deck will be prohibitive.

T

terzarima

Giz, I'm sorry to contradict you, but unfortunately you're wrong!

This deck, while it doesn't seem to have enough mana, works VERY well with the amount it has if shuffled well enough.

C

Captain Caveman

Re: Port & Bowl

I understand your concern but thats what the Web is for. Tutor a.s.a.p. to put a stop to the madness.

Re: V.Tutor

With all of the potential silver bullets I'm trying to use it seemed like the only way to insure I would get them. It
seems like 3 would be the right number. However, you may be right. If you've play-tested this type of deck and found 1
or 2 to be enough than I should move it that direction.

Re: Whenever you go about adding another layer to an existing deck...........

I'm a little short on time. Thanks for the comments. I'll try to reply some more, later.