2nd at regionals!

A

Apollo

I just came in second at Regionals today!

Does something seem wrong with that statement? Well, it was the MLB Showdown Regionals. I had one loss in the swiss, then went through the top 8 pretty easily until the finals. There, I faced a Canadian. In the Ohio Regionals. That doesn't eem right, but I guess they don't have any rules about that yet.

Anyway, I lost it in the bottom of the 9th on a 2-run homer. He had to roll a 20 on a 20-sided die, and he did it. Cost me a trip to Seattle for Nationals...

Oh well. I still get tickets to an Indians game (which are hard to come by) and a hat and lost of product. I'm happy.:)

Does anyone else on here play?

G

Gerode

I've been very interested in playing MLB Showdown, but I don't know anyone else who does play it. (I collected baseball cards until I began to collect Magic cards).

A

Apollo

It's a fun game. Not as much strategy as Magic, but still a cool game. If you like baseball and have people who will play with you, I recommend trying it. Oh, and that should say "lots of product" instead of "lost of product".

S

Sammy Dead-O

I've played MLB Showdown some; I used it as a way to get my dad to enjoy a CCG. It's a pretty fun game...plus, I was able to snag myself a couple starters for 99 cents apiece at Babbage's.

Would you mind posting your team and strategy deck?

T

TURD CUTTER!!!

Excuse me if I sound stupid, but what is MLB showdown?

Even though I don't know what you got second in, Congratulations!:)

A

Apollo

MLB Showdown is a CCG that simulates Major League Baseball. You make a team out of different players, who each have their own attributes. Then you play a game with them. The gameplay involves rolling dice to determine a batter's results. Different strategy cards can modify the die roll or cause things like stolen bases/errors, and most any strategy available to a major-league manager is available to you. You can bunt, turn double-plays, make a double-switch, whatever. You also have a limited salary cap, and every player is worth a different amount of points. This makes you use your resources wisely, and keeps the little rich kid syndrome away.:)

Anyway, here's my team (all 2001 cards; that's all you could use):

Chuck Knoblauch
Rickey Henderson
Ellis Burks
Richard Hidalgo
Rafael Palmeiro
Fernando Vina
Bill Spiers
Chad Krueter
Rey Sanchez

Rotation:
Greg Maddux
Chan Ho Park
Al Leiter
Robert Person

Pen:
Bob Wells
Felix Heredia
Buddy Groom

Bench:
Lenny Harris and some lousy point-savers

The strategy deck I'm too lousy to type. One card I would mention is Smash up the Middle, which probably had more impact on the tournament than some of my players did.

D

DÛke

...game doesn't sound bad at all. I just don't like baseball much.

Very well done Apollo...:)

S

Sammy Dead-O

Would I be correct in guessing that Greg Maddux showed up on a lot of teams in the tourney?

E

EricBess

Around here, they take their MLB Showdown pretty seriously. They always start a season with a draft. The store cracks and trades enough to get a full complement of players and each participant brings $50 and bids for the players they want. Everyone who doesn't get purchased becomes a free agent. I think that you can trade at will for a free agent, but it might have to go through a voting process. Anyway, it keeps players from playing against themselves (no clones around here :))

I don't participate because it is a pretty big time commitment (especially on draft night), but I've watched several people play and while there is a lot more luck involved than magic, some of the games are more interesting.

A

Apollo

Yeah, Maddux was on a lot of teams. Either he or Pedro (or both) were on probably 60% of the teams there. I faced him in each of the first two rounds.

One interesting team used no pitching whatsoever but a lineup with 7 foils. I played that team and ended up winning 3-2 in the 10th. Weird.:)

EricBess: Hey! You're back! Anyway, I play in a smaller league that we sort of run by ourselves. Normally we play constructed, but our next season is going to be a draft. For Regionals, though, everything is constructed of course.
And you're right in saying that the games can be more interesting. After 10 minutes of a Magic game, you usually know who the winner is. In MLB Showdown, you can win it in the 10th, 45 minutes after you started, and have it nip and tuck all the way.