2HG Ideas

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to play a Two-Headed Giant game on another board, but need ideas for a deck. Here's my partner's deck:

Blue-White
Countering Flying Protective Snow

Land:
15 Snow-Covered Plains
15 Snow-Covered Island
4 Boreal Shelf

Creatures:
1 Stoic Ephemera
1 Wakestone Gargoyle
2 Freewind Equenaut
1 Celestial Ancient
4 Beacon Hawk
3 Helium Squirter
2 White Shield Crusader
2 Surging Sentinels
1 Rimewind Cryomancer
1 Rimefeather Owl
2 Martyr of Frost
2 Kjeldoran Javelineer
1 Jotun Owl Keeper
1 Jotun Grunt
2 Field Marshal
1 Adarkar Valkyrie

Other Spells and Artifacts:
2 Carom
2 Counterbalance
2 Flashfreeze
2 Frozen Solid
2 Gelid Shackles
1 Glacial Plating
1 Jester's Scepter
4 Kjeldoran War Cry
2 Luminesce
2 Mishra's Bauble
2 Proclamation of Rebirth
1 Proper Burial
4 Rune Snag
2 Scrying Sheets
3 Surging Æther
2 Swift Maneuver
1 Thermal Flux
3 Thrumming Stone
2 Valor Made Real
2 Vision Skeins
4 Wash Out
1 Writ of Passage
Any ideas? I'm not that familiar with Coldsnap; I don't have to use its cards per se, just a deck idea to complement. Format is Vintage with the Restricted List as a Banned List.

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Are we allowed to suggest changes to your friends deck?

Anyway, seeing as he has a big flying theme and enough control to take the late game, I'd think you'd want to play something like mono-red with cards like Shard Phoenix, Martyr of Ashes and Earthquake. A surprise Flaring Pain could do wonders; and some X-damage spells might be nice.

Straight forward goblins would probably also do the trick.

Or copy my new Rakdos Rat deck :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
He actually has made changes, I can post them if you're interested. I don't know how well he'd take to suggestions :)

Maybe I'll just copy your deck - That way I don't have to think of a decklist :)

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The game is supposed to start today. It's through the forums, so you know how long they turn out :)

I'll post a link if you want to follow along once I log on and find the link :)

Tag Guard

L

Lythand

I may be too late, but this deck rocks. Its all commons and I am 5/0 online if 6 player ffa events.

Creatures- 20

Crypt Rats x4

Gravedigger x4

Highway Robber x4

Phyrexain Rager x4

Twisted Abomination x4

Enchantments- 2

Death Watch x2

Instants- 4

Grim Harvest x4

Sorcerys- 12

Consume Spirit x4

Corrupt x4

Drain Life x4

Land- 22

Swamp x22

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're a tad too late - the game started yesterday (well, the coin flip did :) ) and I'm using limited's deck, but I'll keep yours in mind if we play another game.

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Woo Hoo! Ninja Rats for the win!

(now, how about that link?)

L

Limited

The only nonbo in the two decks are Proper Burial and Rain of Gore, so decide early on if you are racing them (and need the Rain) or want to win longterm (and need the Burial).

Next, put all the discard on one head, preferably the one playing black; with a lot of fear in the Rat deck, you want them to run out of blockers fast.

And don't be afraid to overextend or to lose a couple of attackers if that means you can ninja something; Death Denied is a great card to compensate for early losses.

Good luck!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only nonbo in the two decks are Proper Burial and Rain of Gore, so decide early on if you are racing them (and need the Rain) or want to win longterm (and need the Burial).
Yeah, my partner already noted that and asked me to warn him before using the Rain :)

Here's the game thread

Tag Guard

L

Limited

The game still hasn't started?!

Man, that is one heavy coin your are flipping.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's not a committed Magic site, so they're kinda slow... I'm not even sure the other team is ready...

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Swamp
Wrecking Ball
Nezumi Cutthroat
Nezumi Shortfang
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Swamp
Okiba-Gang Shinobi

Right now the plan is to play the Cutthroat and then the Shortfang, unless my next two draws are something good.

Tag Guard