2014 Vintage Championship Deck

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I'll put it this way...

Casting a 7/7 flying lifelink creature with pay 7 life: draw 7 cards for only three mana is good enough to win tournaments. Are you surprised? :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I meant more in terms of is this a "new" deck archetype (can there be those?), old one, or it seems an Oath deck that uses a newer creature from last year's Championships as the kill condition?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Not sure what you mean. Griselbrand has been around for a few years and isn't really considered new anywhere except maybe here, because this site is populated exclusively by old fogies. In the last year or so (probably a bit more), Oath decks in Vintage moved away from other creatures and became Griselbrand decks, because Griselbrand is just too good to pass up. If I Oath up Emrakul or something, you might still be able to stop me somehow, despite the protection from colored spells. If I Oath up Griselbrand, even if you have answers, I can activate him to draw a way to play around your answers. If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that Griselbrand Oath is a major archetype in Vintage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that Griselbrand Oath is a major archetype in Vintage.
Yes, that answered my question. It's an established archetype, not something "new" that popped up for this tournament.