Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trench Wurm

• Other Wurm

• Total voters
S

Sammy Dead-O

Three friends and I (well, I actually just met one of the guys last night) had a 2-on-2 booster draft game that turned out to be, without a doubt, one of the best times I've ever had playing Magic.

We drafted from eight packs:
1 Invasion
2 Planeshift
1 Mercadian Masques
2 Prophecy
1 Sixth Edition
1 Starter:)

I had been telling J.P. (who ended up being my teammate) that I really wanted to draft a Shivan Wurm sometime, and then, when I play it, start singing (They Might Be Giants-style) "They call me Dr. Wurm...good morning, how are you, I'm Dr. Wurm!" (Check out the song--Dr. Worm--if you've never heard it...it's good enough for them to play twice in a single concert.) Luckily, I started drafting green last night with a first-pick Avatar of Might, and before long, along came a Shivan Wurm. To top it all off, I picked a Scaled Wurm from the Sixth pack! My evening was really looking up at this point.

So, we started the 2-on-2 (me and J.P. vs. Ron and Chris) with our standard miniumum-40-card decks. My life-gaining kept me healthy for a while, but J.P. (who has a tendency to run his mouth a lot in all multiplayer games, thus drawing a lot of hatred) got beat on pretty badly. Luckily, he had the presence of mind to cast Sinister Strength on my Steel Leaf Paladin before he died. (He also played Final Fortune to get in one last turn:).)

So, I was stuck in a 2-on-1 with a 7/5 Paladin and a Border Guard to buy me time until I could draw...something to help me. Chris's Hunting Drake was chipping away at me. J.P. thought it was over.

And then...out of nowhere (or...well, my library) came...

...Scaled Wurm!

The 7/6 fattie was summoned and the song began. It didn't take long for the tide to turn, as a 7-point swinger coming at each of my opponents was too much. With no removal in sight, the Wurm saved the day!

Somehow, it seemed like the ultimate casually competitive turn of events. And so...I thought I'd share.

For those interested, my deck looked like this:

Fault Riders
Goblin Settler
Llanowar Elves
Quirion Elves
Silt Crawler
Bull Hippo
Stone Kavu
Dr. Wurm #1
Honorable Scout
Mine Bearer
Border Guard