187 Creatures

C

cbearsbro

I've seen references to this on the boards and in articles. What are they? Thanks :)

Z

Zadok001

Basically, any creature with the words "when ~this~ comes into play, yaddayaddayadda" is a 187 creature. Uktabi Orangutan, the new Battlemagi, a lot of Kicker creatures, etc, are all 187s. Where the term "187" came from, I don't think we ever found proof of. I always assumed there were 187 of the things when the term was dubbed, but I'm probably wrong. :)

These abilities are often referred to as CIP effects (Comes Into Play effects), and are generally very powerful, since they net you a creature as well as a useful ability (with the exception of the occassional CIP effect that's a drawback, like "Sacrifice a creature").

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we settled this a while back, in CPA/Magic Issues or something?

Anyway, it's my impression the "187" came from the police code of "kill" and refers specifically to CIP creatures that destroyed a permanent (Nekrataal, Uktabi, maybe Man O War). I don't consider creatures that untap land as their CIP ability as a 187, although they're probably lumped in now.

I

Istanbul

I've always lumped such creatures into two groups: 187 creatures, and CIP creatures.

187 creatures blow something up when they come into play. Avalanche Riders is a 187 creature. So are Bone Shredder, Cloudchaser Eagle, and Keldon Vandals.

CIP creatures have another kind of effect when they come into play. Silverglade Elemental, Gravedigger, and Palinchron are CIP creatures.