100% New

S

Striton

I have never played Magic before but am interested in getting started. I've played Netrunner however. I just have *no* idea where to start! It looks like the 7th Edition is the latest. Should I just start with the 7th Edition 2-player Starter Box and take my baby steps from there? I tried to do some Ebay searching but there was just *way* too much stuff to make any sense of. Are there particular expansions I "must" buy boosters from? Are there expansions to avoid? I don't really want to drop a mint, but I want to enjoy the game. Netrunner was great because the starter decks were so perfect. I'm not sure how Magic works that way.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
7th ed is the latest but 8th is coming out soon. I wouldn't worry about that though since I doubt you'll want to try the tourny scene anytime soon.

Starter decks should be fine to get you started and any expansion is fine; however, the expansions are rated "expert" so you should probably make sure you're comfortable with the Magic play and mechanics before moving on to those.

T

train

I'm a Corp. player myself... Rio de Janeiro City Grid was my favorite all time card... I have 6 in my corp deck... Didn't play runner much though... I didn't swing both ways like most people could...

But... Welcome to Magic, we hope you get as addicted as I did!!!...

If you have any questions, that's what we're here for...

As for sets to buy into... I have plenty of common stuff I can trade you or sell you for a pretty cheap penny...

but since you're new and don't have much - I'll offer you what I have offered others in the past... a bunch of free cards...

If interested - post back here...

Now these won't be high dollar cards - but they're free...

Not a bad deal to get you started...

Let me know...

As for your own buying of items... I'd recommend 2 7th edition starters and 1 or 2 onslaught starters... If you have any rules questions - we have a forum for that...

Again... Welcome to Magic...

S

Striton

Thank you all!

Train, how can I possibly say no to free cards?! :) You are very kind.

Now when you say "2 7th edition starters" do you mean 2 of the 2-player boxes? Do all the starters come with the same cards or are they somewhat randomized?

I'm going to pick up one starter for sure this weekend and I'll look for "Onslaught." The starter is only $18cdn so that's perfectly acceptable to start out.

I'm picking up the new Vortex boxed set too. Looks like tons of fun!

Are there any particular threads or articles I should start reading geared towards total n00bs?

Cheers!

P.S. Train, I was always partial to the Trojan Horse->Urban Renewal combo :) I usually preferred the challenge of being runner though.

E

EricBess

There are a couple of ways to get into the game.

1. Find someone who will help you out. This can be another beginner that has roughly the same number of cards as you, or a more experience player who is willing to give you deck advise.

Personally, I prefer 2. Find a store that holds sealed deck tournaments and sign up. You should still expect to get crushed your first time playing, but the advantage is that card-wise, you are on even ground. Don't leave until the tournament is over. Most players will not keep the common cards from their decks and quite a few won't keep their uncommons. In fact, I've even known some players to leave rares behind. Typically, all these cards are free for the taking. Just let people know that you are just getting started and I guarentee you will leave the store with far more cards than you paid for. They will be mostly commons, but there is a lot of power there.

Ideally, you can do a little of both. It might be easier to find a booster draft than a sealed deck, but they are a bit more intimidating. If you let people know you are new, though, they will help you out. Just make sure that if there is a really good rare card, you take it :D (Note - I say that to newbies only. Experienced players rare drafting for no reason should be shot:D)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any particular threads or articles I should start reading geared towards total n00bs?
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything even though I've been around for a couple of years. You can check the article archive from the front page; a couple of people wrote articles recently aimed at "beginners".

T

train

see here for 7th edition starters...

If you're interested in any certain colors... theme decks aren't bad either...

Trojan horse... not cool... great if you're a runner - but not cool...

It was fun chancing black ops agendas...

Man I miss those days...

N

Nightstalkers

just remember: once your hooked, you cannot quit!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
:D

and just try to get people in your area to teach you... (Look in Wizards of the coast stores & Game Keepers... or just comic book shops and card stores)

hope you don't become like us... dead and still playing magic.

T

train

Striton - I need your address so I can send the cards...

If you still want them...;)

N

Nightstalkers

send him the normal package Train.

you know:

some magic cards
jack in the box
and a videotape of teletubbies.

UK RULES!!!!

T

train

Nightstalkers!!!!.....

Shhhh..... don't tell him, let it be a surprise...