My Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring review...yes, I'm a fanboy...

G

Ghost_of_Rando

This fan review is dedicated to those of you that saw this film and claimed that it was borring, dragged too much, and/or that you fell asleep...

I saw the Midnight showing last night, and I would give it 8 out of 10. It did drag at times, but I don't think you people that say you fell asleep have ever actually read the books, because you have no idea what could have been in and was not. In fact, there was a number of things left out that if they had been in there, then my rating would be higher, and I don't care if that pushed the total running time to 5 hours. I imagine that some of you in the "it was boring" camp also think the wedding scene in the Godfather should also be cut because "it does not go anywhere".

I have never seen any fantasy film, EVER, that was so utterly and completely real as this. From the weathered and tattered clothing they wore, to the grime under their finger nails to the flecks of spit in their beards...not once did it seem to me that the actors were playing parts, but instead were actually the real people in a real time and place. For that matter, most historical films do not have the same sense of "realness" that this did.

This is not, I repeat NOT, a children's film. Nor is it a "pop-corn flick".

I love Star Wars, and I consider my devotion to that franchise closer then I'll get to any religion. But, it is a children's movie, and it is a pop-corn flick...all of them. As art, The Fellowship of the Ring trancends StarWars in ways I did not think I would ever consider. The Fellowship of the Ring is much more an adult movie, and a movie for intelligent audiences. If your enjoyment of a film depends on the amount of death, explosions and "cool stuff", then no, don't bother with this. But, if you like a challenging movie, one that brings the scope of the tale being told to fruit in both scenery, dialogue and story, then yes, do go see this. This is a film that , as a member of the audience, you have to work at a bit to truly enjoy it. You can't just sit there a fool and drool into your tub of buttered pop-corn and expect all of it to be spoon fed to you.

***spoilers***if you care***

My only complaints come in the form of wonder at why certain things were changed that if left the same as in the book, would not have affected the film much. Why did the Nazgul not say "come back...come back...to Mordor we sill take you."? And why was Bilbo not at the Counsel of Elrond? I was looking forward to the "Bilbo the silly hobbit started this mess..." line, and was a bit disappointed at not hearing it. In fact, it was the changes to that scene that were the biggest disappointment for me...but by no means disappointing enough to make me not enjoy the film. My picayune complaints are just nit-picks, and I challenge any viewer to site example of an actual structural or artistic flaw with this film.

All-in-all, I truly fell in love with this film...and will be happy to go back for more. I can't believe those of you that fell asleep...I had trouble GETTING to sleep when I finally crawled into bed. All night, I dreamt of orcs and fire.

R

rkoelsch

So Rando are you saying that children won't enjoy it? or is it too bloody for children? I mean Lord of the Rings was originally a childrens book. Built in fairy tale style with a richer world texture

G

Ghost_of_Rando

During my morning break, before I posted this, I was at another message board. There, people that saw the midnight showing were giving thier critiques. Some said that they thought it was borring, dragged, went no where, blah blah blah. After writing my review I posted it there as a chalange and rebuttle to the ones who said such nonsense. I also posted it here, because I like you guys, and I figured that considering the genre, many of you would see it. That is why the above statements seem to be directed at some non-existant person.

As for the "is it a children's film?" question, no it is not. The books were never meant to be children's stories, but were renounced as such by the main-stream critics and so-called experts becasue of the subject matter. Everyone knows that grown, mature adults don't read stories about elves and dragons. :rolleyes: I frankly do not see how any child could wade his or her way through the hundreds and hundreds of pages of dry, achedemic history and linguistics leasons.

The film is dark, grave, intense and frightening at times in both imagery and subject matter. I would stick with the "13" part of the PG-13 rating and use that as a guide. The battle seens are sweeping and grand, but not quite as bloody as say, Braveheart. But, they are not as graphic as Braveheart or Gladiator only because the fast, confusing editing durring the fights keeps the viewer from seeing too much of the gore. But rest asured, limbs are lopped off, people decapitated, and what Lord Sauron does to tens of dozens of men in the battle scene in the prolouge is grusome indeed.

My god I loved this flick. I'm going back tommorow to see it again.

R

rkoelsch

I have always been a bad judge of what is suitable for children. When I was dating my wife on our third date I believe, I took her and her 2 small children ages 7 & 9 to see Raiders of the Lost Ark. I had already seen it twice and loved it. The 9 year old boy was okay and the 7 year old was okay after some soothing from her mother. Boy did I feel like an idiot. It really is amazing that she married me after that debacle.:eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm kinda okay at judging movies for children since I've been around them now, but on one of our first few dates, I took my wife to see Cabin Boy. THAT was pretty dopey... of course, she tells me a couple of years later that it was lamest movie she ever saw... :)

T

theorgg

"Ahm at my Witts End! I'mma at me witt's END!"
**DONG!**

I LOVE Cabin Boy! It's a GREAT movie. I had forgotten about it! I've got to see it again, now! Aargh!

As for the Lord of the Rings, I've been waiting to read the books until I get all of them... I MIGHT see the movie before then, though...

Would you recommend this?

*Ever seen a giant, floating cupcake that spits tobacco juce? Huh? <Spit!>*

E

EricBess

Originally posted by rkoelsch
I have always been a bad judge of what is suitable for children. When I was dating my wife on our third date I believe, I took her and her 2 small children ages 7 & 9 to see Raiders of the Lost Ark. I had already seen it twice and loved it. The 9 year old boy was okay and the 7 year old was okay after some soothing from her mother. Boy did I feel like an idiot. It really is amazing that she married me after that debacle.:eek:
Bit of trivia, but Raiders of the Lost Ark was the first movie to be rated PG-13. I suppose there was a reason for that...:)

G

Gizmo

And a correction:
Lord Of The Rings was never a childrens book. The childrens book was The Hobbit, the Fellowship trilogy was always intended for an adult audience.

And it was always boring and always made me fall asleep.
:p

Amid a clammer of newspapers calling it the best film of all time, I found it interesting that the only paper not to award it 5/5 or 10/10 was the paper I read daily, which gave it 2/5.

Hmm...

I`ll still go and see it soon though.

R

rkoelsch

Okay so I was wrong about it being a childrens book. so sue me.

M

mogg bomber

I don't see how anyone could have been bored during the movie, and I especially don't know how anyone could have fallen asleep. The movie seemed to be rushing as it was, and the action was increased greatly from the books(i.e. in the books, the cave troll is mentioned briefly and then forgotten, in the movie, well... see for yourself. Everyone should see this movie.) I think the movie is a little too violent for kids, at least young ones. There were at least 2 decapitations, and there were definitely some scary moments in there...

T

terzarima

I also watched the movie opening day, I got home at around 12:00 though...

Anyways... I know they cut out lots of parts like with Tom bombadil, and they cut out great lines too! But the general idea is the same as the book. I don't think everyone can be satisfied with any interpretation of the book, its in its own catagory.

Great movie :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

It was enjoyable, but I have two questions.

A) Was the Orc Search and Destroy unit in the book? I cant remember it, and it makes sense for them to add it for a climax.

B) Wasnt Gremlins the first movie the was PG-13?

T

terzarima

Orc search and destroy in the book?

Yes, but...

The orc high leader dude isn't killed...
And there is no preview of the party... i.e... the ambush is a surprise in the novel.

R

rkoelsch

I have a question. I saw that John Rhys Davies is Gimli. How is that possible? Does he look like a dwarf in the film?

G

Gizmo

Yes he does, RK.

Believe it or not the Hobbits and Elves arent real Hobbits or Elves either!
I know, I was shocked too!
:p

R

rkoelsch

Happy Birthday Giz. It is always a pleasure.:rolleyes:
I am just trying to fathom how they manipulated all the actors sizes without it looking like a patchquilt. Knowing how big he is in real life it just amazes me the technology involved.

G

Ghost_of_Rando

To size the actors into hobbits and dwarves, Peter Jackson used a blend of forced perspective, over-sized/under-sized stand ins, and computer manipulation. They way they pulled it off is amazing.

Oh...and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was the first PG-13 movie.