Poem for English...

N

nodnarb24

The poem that follows, Is one that I made for my Honors English class(I HATE HONORS ENGLISH!!!). It's suposed to be about a "place" but it ended being about how bored I was and random things that popped into my head (if you couldn't figure that out). Any comments will be appreciated (even expressing how [naughty word(s) deleted] it is, which it is).

Town of Boredom, Forced Solitude in my Room
A brief poem expressing the boredom of a teenager, which was created by his surrounding environment.

Here I sit,
Like I have all day,
In my desolate room,
Staring at my computer monitor,
Listening to the punk band AFI,
As I do my homework,
Since there is nothing else to do.

I have no one to hang out with,
My best friend broke his arm,
He can’t go anywhere till at least Wednesday,
He’s no fun.
My other friends are either stoned,
Which I’m not interested in,
Or sitting in there rooms,
Like I am right now.

There is never anything to do on a Sunday night,
Everything is closed by 5 o’clock,
Except for the bars on South St,
Where the bums and drunks hang out.

I did go to the mall,
I bought a few CD’s and DVD’s,
I spent $150 total,
Those kept me entertained for a few hours.

While I write this,
I notice that my room is quite messy,
I might clean it if there is nothing better to do.
It’s also cold in here,
I might put on my hoodie.

I spot my 40 plus DVD’s on my desk,
Right next to my computer,
I might watch one later.
I also observe that my walls are pretty bare,
I should buy some posters and stuff to cover them.

I have no inspiration,
How am I going to end this poem?
I’ve been trying to write it for an hour,
I’m surprised it kept me busy for that long,
It hasn’t been keeping me entertained,
I know,
I’ll have it end itself,
Now I go off to find something else (hopefully more entertaining) to do.

THE END

M

Mr.Gnome

it's a WHOLE ton better then I would be able to come up with... Mine would probably end up about gnomes, doom, or my taking over of the world...Probably a mixture of the three...NE ways I think you did a better job then i could hope to do

H

Hawaiian mage

It's like one big, vaguely hilarious sentance fragment! Hell yeah!

You have to let us know what happens when you turn it in though. That's when things are really going get interesting...

Hawaiian "We'er allowed to say hell, right?" mage

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by Hawaiian mage
It's like one big, vaguely hilarious sentance fragment! Hell yeah!
LOL!!! I laughed my buttox off for 5 min after reading that comment. I did get a lot of grammer check errors complaining about sentence fragments. Curse you Microsoft word and your mastery of the english language.

I'm also supposed to present this poem to the class orally, I wonder what kind of responce I'll get. Most of the people in my class are stuck up preps, have no sense of humor, have no taste in good quality music (quality music being punk, metal, heavy stuff, techno, or having some swear words in it), and like to have intelligent conversation. I don't think they'll like it...

M

MrXarvox

sounds a lot like the sonnet they made me do in my senior year. mine was about apathy rather than boredom but it had the same ring to it. not as if i'm going to go to the trouble of locating and posting it though.... :D

G

Gerode

I wrote a poem for Honors English last year about procrastinating on an essay and wasting time instead of writing. It was the only poem of mine that I liked, and ironically the only one I spent any amount of time on.

N

nodnarb24

I truely hate honors English. I now have to write the first chapter of my autobiography(An on going project throughout the year) which is due on friday. How much does she expect happens in a persons life by the age of 16. Here is what this chapter is suposed to be about:
Chapter One: The Search for Identity
Growing up in the 1990's and the early 21st century has shaped you as a person. How have various aspects of your life influenced you (e.g. family, education, society, etc.) in becoming the person you are today? Have you faced any challenges or struggles by being an American teenager?
I don't know about you, but I can't possibly write 5 pages on things that have influenced my life, since my life is very dull. Currently I have half a page double spaced and I ran out of things to write. Maybe I'm just in a writers block...

M

MrXarvox

make stuff up!

e.g.
... yeah, i had problems being an american teenager. like when that extremist faction from.. eh.. luxembourg! yeah. they overthrew my house and, uh, made me eat goat meat and drink canola oil. got real fat real quick on that diet, let me tell you.
And then there was that time when i went to mcdonalds and the food was nasty, but horror of horrors, it was the only food i could afford! <gasp!> ...
etc.

:p :p :p :p :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
nodnarb:Well, let's start on why you have a gun in your sig?

Has your family influenced you in any way? Like do you respect what your parents do or something?

Do you believe in God or some religion? Why or why not? If your parents started bringing you to church but you've stopped going, why? Or vice versa (you never went to church before but are going now).

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by Spiderman
nodnarb:Well, let's start on why you have a gun in your sig?
Do you believe in God or some religion? Why or why not? If your parents started bringing you to church but you've stopped going, why? Or vice versa (you never went to church before but are going now).
I found it to look cool :). No other reason. Also my family isn't very big on religion.

After I made that post, I made a crack in the the writers block and wrote another page :). Also, now the deadline is extended till Monday :D, so now I have the weekend to finsih the rest.

G

Gerode

Um, I'm a teenager, and I haven't answered those deep questions for myself yet.

I don't think I've ever written 5 pages of anything...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, you never know until you take a look at yourself. Those questions were meant to help get nodnarb started, like approaching it from another angle.

I mean, in his case, I'd probably mention that I wasn't too religious because my parents didn't expose me to it and nothing has really happened to make me go searching for it on my own. It's seems like a small thing but maybe it'll get something going while writing and thinking about it and it is part of his life :)

I mean, you can look at a whole bunch of stuff. What music do you like and why? What books do you like to read and why? Are you a messy or clean person and why? The whole assignment is WHY are you the way you are today.

A

Apollo

Ever the friendly neighborhood Spiderman, he'll even help you with your homework!

...Will you do my Physics, Spidey?

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by Apollo
Ever the friendly neighborhood Spiderman, he'll even help you with your homework!

...Will you do my Physics, Spidey?
Did somebody say Physics?! :D
I LOVE physics!!! :D
Whatcha need?
Whatcha need?
WHATCHA NEED???!!!
[color="336699"]* Nodnarb24 gets a little too hyper over the thought off doing physics homework.[/color]

Z

Zadok001

Ok. Just remember, you asked for it.

You have two 20 ft high poles with their bases 20 ft apart. You also have a rope. You want to hang this rope between the two poles in such a way that the average height of the rope above the ground is 10 ft. How far off the ground is the bottom of the semi-circle formed by the rope? And how long must your rope be?

Second problem. You have two large masses, masses 70,000,000 kg and 120,000,000,000 kg. You also have two smaller masses of 300 kg. Start one 300kg mass on the surfact of the 70,000,000kg object. You want to move it an infinite distance from the object (assume no outside influences). Start the other 300kg object 30,000 m from the 120,000,000,000 object. You want to move THAT 300kg object an infinite distance away from the larger mass as well. Which one of those actions requires more work?

Third problem. A wave with 50 hz is being produced by an object moving at 20 km/h. You are running in a circular pattern with a radium of 15 m around the object's starting location at 5 km/h. You start directly in front of the object producing the sound. At what point on your run does the object's relative sound have the highest Hz value? The lowest? What is the Hz value when you start your run? When you finish? If the object producing the sound is a fire truck, do you have a problem on your hands?

And finally, in the tradition of my Chem teacher, Avagadro's number is 6.023x10^23. That number is commonly referred to as A) A mole B) A rabit C) A chicken D) A hampster?

For the record, while I know how to get the answers for each one of those questions, I don't actually KNOW the answer yet except for the first. :)

Have fun.

E

EricBess

Question 1. The rope must be exactly 20 feet. You tie it halfway up each pole.

But seriously, I'm not sure how you have enough information. Basically, the area defined by the curve must be 200 square feet (exactly half of the area defined by the 20 x 20). However, the equation for the parabola IMO seems like it would be defined by the weight of the rope. A heavier rope would form a different parabola than a lighter rope. But I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure how you would determine the equation for the parabola, but the question is simple calculus once you do.

Of course, I don't remember my equations for arc length to determine the length of the rope, but the lowest point is just a local minimum.

E

EricBess

On further thought, the equation for the parabola would be a function of the length of the rope (arc length). You would need to use length as a variable to determine the equation and solve for area = 200.

E

EricBess

Second question:

Uggghhh, it's been too long, but work is force over distance, isn't it? I really don't remember. Part of me thinks that this is a trick question and the the answer is that they require the same amount of work (but a different force, or something like that). Regardless, the larger mass would have a larger pull of gravity.

You would need to integrate an equation from 0 to infinity of the work necessary to pull the object away from the large mass based on the pull of gravity of that object, which is a function of mass and distance, but I don't remember the equations.

Regardless, there is an assumption being made that the masses are pinpoint? You have given Kilograms and depending on the density of the object, the surface could be pretty far from the center of gravity.

Third question:

Forget it. I know that there are some related rates involved, but I don't know enough about sound wavelengths to make the connection.

Forth question:

The answer is E: a Squirrel.

Actually, it is a Mole, but there are no Mole cards in Oddysey.

Z

Zadok001

Ericbess:

For the first question, your original answer is really quite solid. Not what I was thinking of, but functional, in its own screwed up way. :) You got the basic idea down in your second post, though. We went over that in Calc the other day, and solved the problem, but it rather flew over my head (the Calc prof is not the best in the world). Integrating for the area is the correct path to take, the problem is plugging in the proper variables.

Second question, I'm not sure how it works out in the end, but Work = Force * Distance. As a result, you integrate from 0 to infinity the force of gravity at any given point (F = Gravitational Constant * ( ( mass 1 * mass 2 ) / Radius ^ 2) ) multiplied by the change in distance, using R as the variable, I _THINK_. :) I'm not entirely sure on that, as Calc is currently my weakest subject.

As for the third question, well, I basically wrote that one to be as screwy as possible. :) I'm SURE it can be done, but I don't want to try it.