Nostradamus 1654

L

Lotus Mox

Hitler wasn't exactly a Christian, he twisted christianity in his ways, made Jesus Christ an aryan hero etc., and he also disliked and persecuted the Catholics.

His deeds were definitely the deeds of an antichrist.

And yes I remember that the quote in this thread was usually interpreted as the civil war.

Z

Zadok001

Hitler couldn't be the AntiChrist because the dead didn't rise. No futher argument needed.

I

Ihsans Shade

I do take stock in Feidel de Nostrodom. (I beilieve that is his true French name, but am not sure).

The fact that he predicted the French revolution, both Kennedy assassinations, the fact that his king would die in a jousting match, and several other things.

However, he did predict that the begining of the end was supposed to start when Russia invaded Albainia. Because the American navy was supporsed to be wiped out, Japan would be on our side for the second time, and the French were going to redem themselves for rolling over in WWII (I should say northern France).

Of course, he does say that his predictions can be avoided if we choose the right path, so we may not be on our way to Nuclear Holocaust...yet.

Until then take care of your self, and each other

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

B

Baskil

Just remember, the guy wrote poetically. AND BY THAT TOKEN, it's just a matter of fill in the blanks appropriate to the situation at hand. The guy wrote these quatrains 400 years ago. The language he spoke is completely different, and poetry always loses things in translations. I'm sure that if you try to pin down any one quatrain on an event, like the Kennedy Assassinations, or Hitler being the antichrist, you can put another situation in there as well.

Putting stock in Nostradamus is like believing John Edward - forget the fact that these people are making blind stabs in the dark and they begin to look psychic/premonitious. :rolleyes:

D

Duel

You ever see the movie "Being There"? Peter Sellers is a moron whose vague comments are mistake for deep. Alot of life is like that, methinks....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Technically, if he DID predict that these things would happen, why isn't anyone paying attention and doing something to prevent it? Is it like that free will/destiny argument, that it will happen no matter what?

At the very least, since you should know that it's going to happen, people can get out of the way....

I'm sorry, but I take a skeptical view of this sort of thing, as in trying to apply current events in hindsight to supposed prophecies.

I

Ihsans Shade

It is very well likely that these might just be several lucky guesses, but you it is still hard to prove whether or not he could see into the future. And as long as there is no 100% answer people will still believe. Don't get me wrong. I don't really no what to think of Nostradomus. I'd like to believe he was capable of forseeing the future.

He even predicted when his grave would be disturbed, and that those who disturbed his final sluber would be killed fairly soon after.

If my memorry serves me right, this is what happened:

On March 28, 1788(I'm not sure on the date, but this is documented, right know I'll run with this). During the height of the French Revolution, two drunk soldiers decided to dig him up, and when they opened up the coffin, Nostradomus's skeleton was holding a sign, March 28, 1788. Now the legend has it that anyone who drank form Nostradomus's skull would inheirit his forseening powers, so one soldier poured some wine into the skull, and the other drank form it. (EEEEEWWWWW!) Just then, a shot came from the crowd, killing the one who drank, thus killing the soldier, and fulfilling the prophecy.

Course you can make any vague prediction, and eventually it will come true, such as

"Someone named Mary will be crowned Queen of England."
But Norstradomus wouldn't stop there, he would probabaly go like: "I the two thousandth and ninety-nineth year of our Lord, a woman from the house of Windsor, will be seated on the throne of the unified district."

Deciphered that would be "In 2099 a woman named Mary will be made the ruler of the United Kingdom (unified district). The fact that she is from the house of Windsor is just figuring that with current trends, the ruling house will still be Windsor. Puting a specific date on events is the key to tell whether it is truely a prophecy, or some git with the screen name Ihsan's Shade rambling oun again.

Got stop... can't breath... talked to much *phew*

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

B

Baskil

Here's a prophecy:

Some guy's going to write in quatrains
With immense vagueness he will decree
That something might happen in the future
And people will interpret it as they please.

:rolleyes:

Get real.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I actually heard that no one can confirm that he said/wrote that quote at all.

B

Baskil

This entire post is copied:

> With the title of this thread, I just had the wierdest
> mental image of Nostrodamus going to work for Mythic.

OMG ... Snarf!

Here is the info on the hoaxes for the sites that have been pulled. I am going to move it to my "band with bills do not apply" space on AOL as soon as my home network is up and running:

Nostradamus and the events of 11 September 2001

11 September 2001.

I don't have the words to describe the recent terrorist attacks on the United States, and I won't try to do so here. However, one of my pet peeves has always been about Nostradamus and his alleged predctions. Anything, in my opinion, can be interpreted in anyway you see fit, whether you are reading his works, the various versions of the Bible, or listen to Abbey Road backwards (Paul is dead....). Bull is the only word I can use because I can't think of one stronger.

The bull going around lately is that Nostradamus predicted this ... bull. I wish I had mirrored the resources used to create this page, but I didn't. all I can do is write the web-masters and see if I can get something. But here is what I do have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

source: http://www.nostradamus-repository.org/cityofgod.html

This site is the source of this information:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following quatrain has been circulating the Internet after the WTC bombings.

In the City of God there will be a great thunder,

two brothers torn apart by chaos,

while the fortress endures, the great leader will sucumb.

The third big war will begin when the big city is burning.

It is NOT by Nostradamus.

The original source may be http://www.ed.brocku.ca/~nmarshal/nostradamus.htm. Here is a short excerpt from that page.

How does this apply to Nostradamus? Well I will show you...

If I make say a thousand prophecies that are fairly abstract for example:

In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb

Well let us analyse this. For Example what does City of God mean? It could be Mecca, Medina, Rome, Jeruselum, Salt Lake City, or any holy city depending on your religion. What do I mean by thunder--a storm? War? EarthQuake? lots of stuff can be described by thunder. There are a lot of two brothers on this world (I think the Number runs among the Billions) and fortress edure's what--Besiegement, Famine, etc? What Great Leader? How will he succumb? To what?

This is from a paper written that debunks Nostradamus. The student wrote it in the 1990s; Nostradamus did not write it.

Another good resource for Urban Legends and Internet Hoaxes is Snopes. They have a lot of great lists and well-proven debunkings of things. They are down right now, but here is what I did save from their lengthy, but excellent explination of the current "prediction" legend:

http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/hoaxes/predict.htm

Nostradamus did not write the quatrain now being attributed to him. (One wonders how a guy who died in 1566 could have written an item identified as being penned in 1654 anyway.) It originated with a student at Brock University in Canada in the 1990s, appearing on a web page essay on Nostradamus. That particular quatrain was offered by the page's author, Neil Marshall, as a fabricated example to illustrate how easily an important-sounding prophecy can be crafted through the use of abstract imagery. He pointed out how the terms he used were so deliberately vague they could be interpreted to fit any number of cataclysmic events.

compiled by Mynn The Museless

Z

Zadok001

Thank you, Baskil. This Nostradamus thing has gotten INSANELY out of hand. I saw someone "reinterpret" this quote on MtgNews:

"Two metal birds will fly into the brothers and the great nation shall endure while the leader succumbs."

I mean, good lord.

D

Duel

That particular quatrain was offered by the page's author, Neil Marshall, as a fabricated example to illustrate how easily an important-sounding prophecy can be crafted through the use of abstract imagery. He pointed out how the terms he used were so deliberately vague they could be interpreted to fit any number of cataclysmic events.

ROLFMAO..... Well, he's proven his point, now hasn't he, then?

A

Apollo

No! Wait! Can't you see? The STUDENT is psychic! It all makes sense!:)

A

Apollo

I just got a forwarded email from a friend that not only had this quote attributed to Nostradamus, but had many, many other lines of prophecy that somebody evidently put together to go with it. It also had a version of Ihsan's story; here's the version I got:

He died of gout in 1566 and was burried upright in one
of the walls of the Church of the Cordeliers at Salon.
It was rumored that a secret document existed in his
coffin, that would decode his prophecies. In 1700, the
coffin was moved to a prominent wall of the Church.
Careful not to disturb his body a quick look inside
revealed an amulet on his skeleton, with the year 1700
on it.
I felt kinda bad that I had to reply and burst her bubble...