Black/Green that's Type 2 legal now (no Apocalypse)

L

luke twigger

Everyone is excitedly talking about new Black/Green decks which become viable with the release of Apocalypse, particularly the Spiritmonger and Pernicious Deed cards, but that doesn't help me this weekend. So I've put together a deck using that colour combo, though the Green is only needed late game for the Bursts and Restocks. Anybody got any suggestions other than "wait for Apocalypse" :)

4 Vendetta
4 Duress
4 Addle
2 Diabolic Intent
4 Nether Spirit
4 Chimeric Idol
2 Massacre
4 Death Pit Offering
4 Saproling Burst
2 Restock
2 Tsabo's Decree
1 Dust Bowl
3 Rishadan Port
5 Forest
15 Swamp

L

Lotus Mox

Natural Affinity could fit your deck, it works very well with Death Pit Offering and Massacre and it increases your threat count, which is a good thing because DPO doesn't do anything by itself.

IMO your mana base is a bit weak with only 5 Forests, although you don't really need them to win a game.

L

luke twigger

You mean like the "Roshambo" deck of MBC days. I played a version of that last summer but found it worked best with Skyshroud Claim and non-land mana sources because otherwise, by the time you've paid the casting cost of Natural Affinity you don't often have too many untapped lands to attack with. It is a thought though, but what do I take out?

M

Mikeymike

I agree with Lotus Mox about the mana consolidation, 5 forests is low, especially since one of your big green spells is 3GG. You might want to look at mana acceleration to in the form of Dark Rituals: you've got over 20 spells in the deck where its 3 black mana can work with w/o mana burning. Right now you have 24 lands (only 20 of which are color producing), 14 spells at 4CC and up, 10 spells w/ double Black in the CC.

Also, I would consider more saproling generation in the way of Spontaneous Generation. It works very well with the DPO's and the Diabolic Intents your packing.
---
And when Apocalypse comes out Life or Death is going to kick booty in here, sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously, this is a cool deck, I especially like the Nether Spirits in here as the only creature cards.

G

Goku

Are the tsabo's decree's really necessary?

I tried running those in a deck of mine, and they never really saw good use.
I mean, against squirrel and saproling decks, they could be useful, but I think that they would be better in a sideboard.

Also, since the deck is mostly black, you won't have access to quick mana-acceleration in order to cast it fast enough.