Any other vegetarians on here?

S

Sammy Dead-O

Might be a lame question, mighta been asked before, but I'm always curious about this. Any more?

D

DÛke

...I'm not.

I never actually met a vegetarian in person...I've always wanted to know why they're vegetarian - loving for animals, or loving for vegetables? Maybe both, but I don't know.

S

Sidar Jabari

I'm a vegetarian. I mainly like the simplicity of it.

Also, the standards of animal farming in England are really low, and we get lots of epidemic diseaeses like 'Mad Cow Diseaese' and 'Foot and Mouth Disease'.

Besides, I like the taste of beans and other pulses and the vegetarian Balti's are wonderful in Birmingham!

Peace.

S

Sammy Dead-O

DUke: Interesting that you've never met one of us. People have a pretty wide variety of reasons for doing it (moral, religious, environmental, social, personal preference), and most of them are good reasons, although a friend of mine has pointed out that you pretty much have to be passionate about at least one of the reasons to really go through with it. For me, it's love of animals; it's luck, I guess, that I also like vegetables a lot.

Sidar: I think standards of animal farming anywhere there's a large meat industry are probably pretty low; I hadn't thought about it in terms of living specifically in England, though. Oh, and enlighten me: pulses? Balti's?

D

DÛke

...yeah, it is interesting, isn't it? I've met all kind of people; I probably have met some vegetarians, but I never realized it...I certainly don't have any friends that are...

I think it's interesting to see different varieties of people doin' something "different"...it kinda makes me think why they do it...personally, I believe that I could be a vegetarian easily. For my kickboxing alone, though, I must consume a lot of "meat" products...

...and tell me, why do eggs count as "meat"? I never quite got that...

...does milk?

"I can't live without choclate milk..."

M

Mundungu

Right now in the UK you'd better be vegetarian anyway, the way things go over there ...

H

Hetemti

I try to disuade those considering vegitarianism...I've seen too many people become sick from malnutrition due to improper diet.

And phooey on anyone who does it to "save the amnimals!" Billions and billions will be served McNuggets and Big Macs wether you like it or not. When you don't eat that burger, you disgrace the cow that died to feed you. It gave it's life for you and your turn your nose up at it. It's sad that poor Bessey died in vain.

Killer Joe

My sister-in-law is a vegaterian (sp?) but not by choice, the smell of meat makes her dizzy and she fells like heaving.

D

Daggertooth

A person can be perfectly healthy with a ballanced vegitarian diet. i don't know much about this malnutrition BS, but it is widly known that any arrangment of vitamins and minerels can be obtained through vegitarian diets.

Pesonaly I love my meat. Phoey on all the extra Hormones, Chemicals, and geneticaly altered food that could cause me harm in the future. I eat what i like. A barbaric narrow minded mentality I know, but It's the way I live, and the way I'll die.

i'm curious, Do you as a vegitarian stay away from GE(Genetic engeneered) foods that have been altered with animal DNA?

Daggertooth

R

Riva Iron-Grip

think about this. you love cows, so you want to be a vegetarian? i love animals too, but you need to eat them to stay alive, and healthy. what the hell purpose does a cow serve? hello, to be F****** eatin. dont be stupid about it. sure, if it's for religious purposes i can understand. but damn, i know lots of vegetarians, and they are always sick, and un healthy. it's just plain out nasty. i think that it's pretty dumb to be a vegetarian. but that's cuz i eat lots of meat, and hamburgers, and hotdogs.mmmmmmmmmmmmm....anyone else with me here? i think that there is a big difference in fake meat(tofu) and real steaks. anyone else? but that's my opinion...pz out g's

G

Gerode

You can have a healthy, balanced diet as a vegetarian, but I think that many people don't know enough about vegetarianism and don't realize what nutrients they don't eat enough of.

I'm not a vegetarian. People have been eating meat for countless years, why stop now? Riva does have a point; most herbivores are mainly food sources for carnivores. If cows were not domesticated and lived in the wild, they would still be taken down by wolves and such, or maybe even hunted as game (;)) like deer and elk.

C

Cateran Emperor

Aye, I be a medieval sort of man. I like my meat roasted hot, and my vegetables either potatoes or nowhere near me.

Back to reality though, I personally just find it illogical. If you want to, it doesn't bother me, but don't even speculate that I'll be joining you any time soon. Good to see that you at least have your head on about it and aren't one of the left-wing militants who have actually gone and started bombing some places in the meat industry or other large industires, ala ELF.

Weird fellows them hrmm?

D

Daggertooth

Lets all get one thing strait. You don't need meat to stay alive. Historicaly we did because the nutrients needed was not available in the limited area we lived in. But in this global economy meat is obsolete.

Daggertooth

D

DÛke

Originally posted by Cateran Emperor
Aye, I be a medieval sort of man.
[Laughs] Remember when we had the "technology versus nature" and "human versus machine" discussion, Cateran Emperor? You kind of implied that you're "medieval" there too...which now makes me think that you really are! Very interesting, in deed. :)

...I think Hetemti arrived at a good point. What kind of "meats" are out there? They are "there" anyway, wheather one eats it or not. When one doesn't eat it, it just simply, to the society, means that one is not >>buying<< it...Probably, and most likely, the same amounts of meat production is produced in a roundabout - wheather it's eaten or not - not to mention that more people do eat meat than those who do not, so the demand is probably high anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothin' against anyone here, and I do understand some of those who are vegetarians for religious or traditional reasons, or just simply "luve of vegetables :)))...but I don't understand someone just being a vegetarian for the sake of animals...'cause those poor things are slayed anyway. Might as well enjoy it, know what'm sayin'?

C

Cerulean

This is always a topic that gets peoples' goats. Um.

Well anyway, personally I don't eat anything that I couldn't bring myself to kill.

This, to me, is the most sensible perspective I have stumbled across, and believe me I have heard many...

At various times, I have been virtually carnivorous, purely vegan, merrily indiscriminate, you name it.

There are some things I can kill, and as a matter of fact do kill. These things I can eat.

Perhaps if everyone were invited to kill a range of animals in the ways in which they are commercially slaughtered, plus were shown the workings of abattoirs etc. in depth, up close and personal, at an early age, things might be a little different out there in collective headspace.

Who knows? ;)

G

Gerode

CE -> Actually, potatoes weren't introduced to Europe until the discovery of the New World, after medieval times had passed. :)

C

Chaos Turtle

I am not a vegetarian, but I respect those who make that choice for themselves, so long as they don't sit across from me at dinner, calling me "murderer" and whatnot.

I'd also like to point out the flawed logic that I'm seeing here by the (apparently) anti-vegetarian crowd.

It's wrong-minded to criticize people for making a different diet choice than yours, especially so to suggest that they are stupid. vegetarianism, if followed with some intelligence and education, is a very healthy way to live. Vegetarians are exposed to fewer carcinogens and are less lkely to get sick from the food they eat, as well as being less likely to develop common animal-fat consumption problems, like congestive heart failure. Also, it's not at all hard to form the necessary nutritional bonds by eating a varied diet of legumes, tubers, roughage, fruit, nuts, etc.
Not to mention that it's considerably less expensive to subsist on a meat-free diet.

As for those vegetarians you might now who are malnourished: don't blame it on vegetarianism. Blame it on poor diet. They are making the wrong choices about how they eat, in much the same way that meat-eaters who chomp down on ex-animals indiscriminately may find themselves overweight and with clogged arteries.

The "they're going to be killed and eaten anyhow, so why not join in?" argument is - forgive me for being blunt - ridiculous. Cattle, as an example, do not exist for the sole purpose of being eaten by humans. The fact is that humans have bred cows (and other livestock) for that purpose. Trust me, those bloated things you see grazing behind fences alongside country roads certainly did not evolve to live that way. "Everyone else is doing it" is not a reason to change one's moral stance.

All that said, I'm still a happy omnivore. I do like my steaks, burgers, chicken breast, roast turkey, shrimp, fish, pork chops, escargot, calamari, and all sorts of other beastly feastlies. And I don't plan to give them up anytime soon.

My point is that one ought not demean people who choose, for whatever reason, to forego eating meat, just because you don't happen to agree with them.

S

Sidar Jabari

Pulses is a catch-all term for protean rich fruits and seeds such as lentils, chick peas, and beans.

Balti's... well, that,s another story entirely. I trust you've had curries right? Well, in the midlands we have a high population of people with Indian and Pakistani origins. They brought with them curries, which are a great from of food anyway, then here, in Birmingham, perfected the most perfect meal of all time, the Balti.

Balti literally means 'bucket', but don't let that fool you, the recipies are amazing and they are served in big metal bowls, giving them a great authentic look. My favourate Balti is probably Balti Ghobi Chana and Mushroom Madras with a Garlic Nan and Pilau rice, with starters of Popadoms, onion Bhajis and mango chutney. With Lassi, a thick sweet milk drink that takes some of the heat the curry away, the meal is complete.

Who says vegetarians don't eat well?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If one was to stick with a technically strict interpretation of "Vegetarian" and eat only vegetables, would there be a mineral deficiency? If, as I gather, you do need other non-meats to make up for this deficiency, why is the term "Vegetarian" and not "Non-Meat"?

Me, I eat everything but definitely need meat somewhere. My wife can live on pasta and that's okay but after a couple meals I need meat sauce or meatballs or SOMETHING to go with it... :)

N

nodnarb24

Is anyone else getting a hankering for some food right now?
[color="336699"]Nodnarb24 is drooling.[/color]