Planeshift card revealed!

B

Baskil

It's official.

Also, wasn't Galina's Knight and Crystaline Sliver 2/2s for WU?

D

Deadman

Mate, the thing you're forgetting it's not just two for a 2/2 with an ability.
It's mana from two different colours for a 2/2.
I mean, Sliver Queen is only 5 for a 7/7 with an incredible ability, but it's actually quite expensive, because it costs one of each colour.
I think Meddling Mage is very cool, not the greatest of cards, but can still be very annoying.

D

DÛke

...like Deadman said. I highly doubt it's the best card in the set. To me, Unmask is the best card in MM, to someone else, it's Cho-Manno Revolutionary, and yet still, to another, it's Trade Routs. You see? It depends on who you are and what you like.

This Mage is the best card to whom ever wrote the article about it from the original source. I highly doubt it will be MY favorite card of the set. I even highly doubt I would think it would be the "best" card in the set...

I

Ihsans Shade

Yeah I got egg on my face. Right after I posted I foud it at mtgnews.com.

Yeah 5 mana for a 7/7, but it's one from all FIVE colors. a blue and a white are not hard to come by. I don't play white/blue decks, but I do have A deck that has the Big Mother, and all five colors in it, and I usually have no problem with her casting cost.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

A

arhar

Originally posted by Spiderman
Sir arhar: You said "they mentioned casually that this was the most powerful card in Planeshift". Who's "they"? The designers (who presumably have access to the full set list)? Or just players who are speculating?
LOL!!! Sir Spidey, you can stop calling me that, since no one else does :( Oh well, they think they don't, but in all actuality, when they say 'arhar', they mean "sir arhar'. The person who said it was Randy Buehler, and by the most powerful I think he meant "with the greatest impact on T2 tournament play." But this is just my interpretation.

I

Istanbul

I just had a thought.

"I'll Liberate my Meddling Mage. Okay, the NEW spell I don't want you to play is..."

Also, this thing will shut down the irritating High Tide decks constantly springing up in my local Type 1 tournaments. I need four. :)

B

Baskil

Just realize that the effect ends when it leaves play via liberate.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Put Meddling Mage with Flicker or diet flicker(whatever that card is called) and bam, instant countering+mana burn

K

K

It's like the Abeyance situation. If an opponent plays a spell, and you play Abeyance, opponent's spell will not be "countered"; it is already played.
Same goes for this bad boy.

D

Duel

Duke, it's already made. It's Chris Pikula's card from last year's invitational, updated. It's coming out like that. Look in http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/
On the article about kuala lumpur. THAT IS THE CARD. And yes, it shuts down combo, but not all combo. It can be removed. all it means is trix either needs to counter it or start playing removal.

No 2/2 for 2 mana?
[me] points at crystalline sliver[/me]
And that wasn't even rare. Really, though, this card is good. It's great. It's not broken. What, in T2, is the worst you could do?
In extended, it stops high tide and trix (any complaints? No?).
In t1? Hahahaha. That was a good one, no?

It's a good card, coming out like that, and it'll see alot of play. It is not broken. In mirror matches, it's bad.

D

DÛke

...I think it is simply a good card. I can see why one might be hyped about it; and I could see why one (like me) be overly neutral about it.

I

Istanbul

I'll play Meddling Mage.
As it comes into play, I'll choose a card that can't be played. I'll choose 'Meddling Mage'.

Is Meddling Mage countered?
If not, do you think that it might see play in a few combo decks as anti-anti-combo?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that's okay (the original Meddling Mage will get through.

There have been new updates to the Announcing Spells step; check my post in Ruling forum. But basically a check that prohibits spells to be played is only made at announcement, not resolution.

D

DÛke

...to answer your question: no, the Mage would not be countered because it is already in play; however, you and your opponent will not be able to play any more of these annoying Meddling Mages.

I don't think it would used in combo decks as an anti-anti unless the Meddling Mage itself becomes a real threat against them. Personally, I think it might be a threat, but we'll never know unless we play the card ourselves.

D

Duel

Really, it's not that great. It's a kind of "Look! Shock Me!" for combo decks. Duke, I was responding when you said there was no way they'd let that card be released like that, and it already was. sorry if you mistook that.